Gardening without tools

siking

Just a quick suggestion; I think that basic gardening should be doable with no tools, as is possible in real life. If you have seeds and maybe a watering can at most, you could plant and water them and get results. Of course, to grow a very productive garden, tools would be necessary.. but I think it should be more accessible to start up in the early stages before needing to go looking everywhere for spades and such.

*edit: Actually a watering can would even be unnecessary, as you could use a mug or bowl or any container to transfer water. This would likely take much much more time to water larger areas than using a watering can, which motivates you to get one eventually.

*edit: Actually a watering can would even be unnecessary, as you could use a mug or bowl or any container to transfer water. This would likely take much much more time to water larger areas than using a watering can, which motivates you to get one eventually.

Can't you already water crops with things other than the watering can?

You currently need a trowel, and seeds.

A spade is handy (for removing dead/diseased plants) but I think you can re-trowel over the spot and skip that need.

A watering can is nice. but in no way necessary.  A bucket/pot/etc for water (even a handful of water bottles will do that job).

A gardening spray can is the only container that can hold mildew cure or insecticide... but until you level up your farming you won't know what kind of disease your plants have (so sort of optional).  And you could just remove diseased plants rather than trying to save them...

Trowel sadly is required (I'd prefer other options; but currently there are none). 

I know someone (RJ maybe) mentioned (maybe on Steam forums) that the trowel drop was being adjusted in the next patch.

I like the idea of being able to grow basic plants without any tools, digging through your backyard with your bare hands :)

An alternative would be to be able to dig holes for your seeds with stuff like planks but again as stated before - farming this way would have to be less efficient than when using proper tools.