Realistic Bladed Weaponry damage system

Cyberdemon123

Japanese stuck to one sword shape, just with a heavier tip, regardless they were all battle tested, and all withstood it, regardless if they could handle taking on opponents on the battlefield, zombies would be no different. For instance look up Zombie go boom, they're katana test proves it is effective. ALL blades have their uses and drawbacks. To claim superiority over a certain sword is rather silly, they all came from different fighting styles, different cultures. A rapier would be hard to stab at range, through the eye socket, a katana requires the cutting angle and swing to be correct to assure the kill.

Regardless no blade is superior they all have their advantage and disadvantages. If you miss with that rapier your getting grabbed and bit.

Stop claiming one type of weapons superiority, none are superior, it is prefernce and also Japanese history is filled with katanas wielding warriors beheading others, China's history may not be katanas, but they still beheaded with light swords, also light swords can handle a straight downward swing which could easily kill a zombie, other light swords can achieve the same feat. And beheading with a sword isn't the only way to kill a zombie.

This is naive to the point of silliness. In real life, things are not balanced. Things are not fair. All things are not created equal. This is like saying a Ford Focus and a Bugatti Veyron are both equally fast cars- because, they're both cars, you know?

I never said any one blade was perfect- in fact I made it quite clear they aren't- but your notion of all swords being created equal (and especially being equal against zombies) just shows that you don't know a damn lick what you're talking about =\

Rapiers are meant to stab at range that's the entire point of the weapon. Suggesting that missing with a rapier would lead to getting grabbed and bitten is almost infantile in its understanding of the weapon. A stop thrust with a rapier can land a hit (or miss) and keep you almost 6 feet from your target, and missing with a light blade when wielding correctly involves no offbalancing or overswing, especially with a stabbing blade.

Piercing a skull with a slicing blade isn't as easy as you think. Not that it doesn't happen, but it's a tough shot, and much more risky than stabbing with a rapier or similar.

I'm sorry if this comes off as insulting, but it really bugs me to see people who don't have a damn clue about weapons talking about them because they've played video games with swords or looked at stuff on the internet.

@American Steel if you're stabbing a zombie in the ribcage, you deserve to die anyways. Obviously not what I'm referring to, and bayonets tend to get stuck in the chestplate or twisted between ribs, both of which would be unlikely to happen against the skull.

Japanese stuck to one sword shape, just with a heavier tip, regardless they were all battle tested, and all withstood it, regardless if they could handle taking on opponents on the battlefield, zombies would be no different. For instance look up Zombie go boom, they're katana test proves it is effective. ALL blades have their uses and drawbacks. To claim superiority over a certain sword is rather silly, they all came from different fighting styles, different cultures. A rapier would be hard to stab at range, through the eye socket, a katana requires the cutting angle and swing to be correct to assure the kill.

Regardless no blade is superior they all have their advantage and disadvantages. If you miss with that rapier your getting grabbed and bit.

Stop claiming one type of weapons superiority, none are superior, it is prefernce and also Japanese history is filled with katanas wielding warriors beheading others, China's history may not be katanas, but they still beheaded with light swords, also light swords can handle a straight downward swing which could easily kill a zombie, other light swords can achieve the same feat. And beheading with a sword isn't the only way to kill a zombie.

This is naive to the point of silliness. In real life, things are not balanced. Things are not fair. All things are not created equal. This is like saying a Ford Focus and a Bugatti Veyron are both equally fast cars- because, they're both cars, you know?

I never said any one blade was perfect- in fact I made it quite clear they aren't- but your notion of all swords being created equal (and especially being equal against zombies) just shows that you don't know a damn lick what you're talking about =\

Rapiers are meant to stab at range that's the entire point of the weapon. Suggesting that missing with a rapier would lead to getting grabbed and bitten is almost infantile in its understanding of the weapon. A stop thrust with a rapier can land a hit (or miss) and keep you almost 6 feet from your target, and missing with a light blade when wielding correctly involves no offbalancing or overswing, especially with a stabbing blade.

Piercing a skull with a slicing blade isn't as easy as you think. Not that it doesn't happen, but it's a tough shot, and much more risky than stabbing with a rapier or similar.

I'm sorry if this comes off as insulting, but it really bugs me to see people who don't have a damn clue about weapons talking about them because they've played video games with swords or looked at stuff on the internet.

@American Steel if you're stabbing a zombie in the ribcage, you deserve to die anyways. Obviously not what I'm referring to, and bayonets tend to get stuck in the chestplate or twisted between ribs, both of which would be unlikely to happen against the skull.

We think alike, you just think better.  :D

I do practice kenjutsu, we practice cutting on Tatami mats thay apparently represents a human limb.

I took it as a insult so Appolgies.

Anyways if a direct blow to a zombie won't work, cutting it diagonally or across the abdomen would be a way to disable the zombie, it could still crawl which is the only risk, however a quick boot or stab could finish the zombie off.

Decapitation would depend on the angle. Though I read in handbook they would occasionally use a tanto and saw through the neck until their opponents head came off, mainly after the battle. Decided to get a bamboo rod and try cutting horizontally, so yeah I see your point about the spinal cord being hard to go through.

Rathlord hit the nail on the head, right there. Sorrry cyberdemon, but as has been said, sword styled weapons have been created with specific intents; obviously each is going to be used in a different manner. That's been around since the earliest areas of history; Roman 'swords', such as the gladius, were designed precisely for stabbing, while spatha (I think. I hope I'm right. :P ) were designed for slashing. 

You also seem to discount the problem that you play as an average joe in PZ; not a highly trained katana wielding Japanese warrior whom had dedicated their entire life to martial arts. People of such a level simply do not exist anymore. 

Obviously I don't know as much as Rathlord does, but it only takes a bit of common sense to realize that swords in reality are quite different to what you see depicted in movies and games. And PZ is based on the first. 

Good point. Gotta admit the movies make the katana out to be way light, and easy to use,.

I've been using a katana for a while and its easy to forget sometimes how hard it was when you first pick it up. And even now I get the occasional moment where a cut wouldn't go all the way through.

Yup I was wrong xD wonder how a wooden bokken would go, that had a large reputation for brain damage. And still does

That said does anybody know how ideal a knife is in a zombie apocalypse? Can they easily pierce the skull? What about decapitation? I think this is less about the game now for me, and just sheer curiosity.  :razz:

Looking up TZSG, only if you can stab them though their temple, eye socket or the base of their skull.

If you're referring to Max Brook's Zombie Survival Guide, I have to emphasize it is classified as humor and is entirely a piece of fiction. I mean, the guy has a history major but he's never tested anything he's written in the book and it's mostly for amusement.

Good point. Gotta admit the movies make the katana out to be way light, and easy to use,.

I've been using a katana for a while and its easy to forget sometimes how hard it was when you first pick it up. And even now I get the occasional moment where a cut wouldn't go all the way through.

Yup I was wrong xD wonder how a wooden bokken would go, that had a large reputation for brain damage. And still does

Well, it has a reputation for brain damage when screwing around with it, or if used instead of the shinai. But then again, it is a heavy wooden stick, so if you hit something in the noggin enough times it will hurt.

We wanted to see how it was like for samurai back in the day before they used shinais, despite the finger fracture I did manage to win via a stab to the heart area. Sadly we never thought to wear any sort of protection other than chest guards. So we came out a bit bruised xD

We wanted to see how it was like for samurai back in the day before they used shinais, despite the finger fracture I did manage to win via a stab to the heart area. Sadly we never thought to wear any sort of protection other than chest guards. So we came out a bit bruised xD

lol. I guess that's how you learn.

Kenjitsu is the basis for kendo, right? I've studied a little bit of kendo on my own, it's a fun study. The straw wraps do work as excellent stand-ins for limbs, but due to the nature of the spine it's a bit different.

I'm rather surprised I've never gotten the cops called on me, also. Used to bare-knuckle spar on a pretty regular basis, and tended to get pretty serious (sprained ankle and hyper-extended shoulder come to mind). I haven't broken a finger with bokken, but have managed to get some pretty bruises- no chest guards, either. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I don't particularly mind katanas- they can be used to stab to some effect, also, but tanto are far and away my favorite self defense weapon. I've been meaning to get one for a while, and have the one I want picked out, but saving the money yet. It's got real stingray leather like Japanese weapons should, and forged with ~1040 high carbon steel which has been my favorite blend so far. I'm not crazy about the guard (it's kinda ugly if I'm honest) but I love the weapon.

Yeah xD we were using ju jitsu techniques aswell as sword work, so both of us were throwing each other a lot, Tomonage seems to work best against armed opponents (Tomonage is the infamous throw from streetfighter) I'm surprised no one called the police on us xD

Yeah, when you're that close, a katana is a bit hard to use and grappling is a mite more effective against armored targets than well... punching and kicking. Though even with head gear a good punch will knock someone out.

My friend I sparred with most of the time is 6'6" - a full 4 inches taller than me. All of our sword matches ended in grappling, because the only way for me to win with certainty was taking him to the ground.

Honestly as far as practical martial arts training goes, it's good to be grounded (pun intended) in grappling.

My friend I sparred with most of the time is 6'6" - a full 4 inches taller than me. All of our sword matches ended in grappling, because the only way for me to win with certainty was taking him to the ground.

Honestly as far as practical martial arts training goes, it's good to be grounded (pun intended) in grappling.

(Insert Dungeon and Dragons joke here)

• 3 months later...

I came to the forums wondering about more bladed weapons than the axe and kitchen knife, if they were in the game or going to be added to the game. Because eventually that axe is going to break and I don't want my skill to be useless. I would think with all the forests around the towns that people would have more axes in their homes *shrugs*. I found this thread using the forum's search.

And I see the swords are out in full swing, especially the ever popularized Katana. But why are the more obvious tools / weapons not posted about?

Machete - I have found this to be abundantly useful in my Canadian Ranger work, great for making shelter and fire materials out of the dead fall and boughs. A very durable blade, lighter than my axe, good length and very dangerous if not used with safety in mind in the wet bush around this Vancouver Island rain forest. Heard about a surveyor that lost a few fingers that way when they weren't minding their feet and stepped in a root depression and their hand slid of the wet handle and down the blade when they tried to use it as a cane to correct their stumble. I would be shocked if this tool wasn't available with all the forests around Maldorough and West Point.

Cleaver - Definitely goes through bones and should be common enough in kitchen's of any respectable cook. Sure it won't have the reach but it should be a damn sight more durable than a kitchen knife and won't have to be used in a piercing manner.

Entrenchment Tool aka Folding Shovel - For more than just digging a hole (to shit in), many are designed these days with a sharpened edge and other designs for saw, axe, and even combat work. Some even come with a can opener.

Survival / Combat Knife - I make good use of this, great for making feathered kindling, magnesium shavings, and getting the spark off my striker into the "bird's nest" in the fire notch to get a fire going even in our wet enviroment. The sheath is great for holding just about everything I could need to survive for a few days and in a nice light weight package. Would be far more durable than a Kitchen Knife, that's for damn sure.

Hatchets and Tomahawks - Lighter than a Fire Axe but no less useful. Perhaps slightly less damaging and a shorter reach, but just as durable if not more so since there are some great designs where the head is continous right through to the handle. That's where most axes break anyways, not the head but just below it where the handle fractures with the grain in the wood and snaps off or the wood contracts and the axe head just slips off.

Come to think of it, the Park Ranger character background, I would think that would have some axe bonus as well, not as big as the Fire Man but something. And some sort of camp fire and tent building bonus.

Hmm, that's all that comes to mind at the moment and if there is another thread I should have posted this in, my apologies, I hope you will direct me to the appropriate place to post and discuss this.

scythes -> make them crawl (of course currently crawlers are a pita, but with the right shoes and maybe shinguards (legguards for baseball would work very well)

not a big problem...

and the most powerful weapon in the zombie apocalypse:

metal baseball bats

especially youth bats, as they are light enough to be handled with one hand if must be, and generate enough force to easily clubber a skull in with one swing. 

also, a decent metal bat  wont break from hitting skulls, they also have decent range.

the fact that metal bats are lighter than wooden bats also makes them usefull. the weight you lose is made up by the fact that you can accelerate better.

my choice: baseball bat (in part because i´ve been playing for 16 years so I think I could swing it somewhat well)

Scythes can't cut through bone really at all. Have you ever used a real scythe? I have, and trust me, it's not what you want. They're large, heavy, awkward, and only really used for cutting grain. They don't have any stopping or chopping power.

As far as machetes, combat knives, hatches, and their ilk I've actually been bugging the devs about those for a long time. Ever time I get a chance I mention it, because I think the game feels empty without it and they're some of the most important survival tools. So hopefully someday my bugging will get through and we'll see them XD

They can make it simple based on a prefix nature:

Normal will be the prefix in the condition of items.

Food can be prefixed with 'rotten' but a sword can't.

A sword can be prefixed 'rusty' but a food can't.

Prefixes would apply buffs or debuffs based on what they are...