BraunF14

So I've built a shelter off away in the woods near a lake. Isolation was key - therefore I built onto the lake and isolated part of the base as a sort of island. The base's store room (2nd floor) sits on top of the garage. The garage is completely accessible to normal terrain while you must take a rope to get up to the 2nd level. The store room then leads further onto the lake to the "home" which is divided by some doors. All in all, the construction was quite simple. I ran into very few issues getting walls up other than what might be expected when building on water. I'm making this thread as only half of my constructed base actually registers as an interior and the effects are game-changing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2548315176

Had to wait for a rainy/snowy day to get this visual to show how drastic the difference is and why I'm setting this one down until I can find a solution (hopefully with your help!). I built about 90% of this base in vanilla and then added some mods on including HC and a stat HUD as well as a QOL mod that shows what skill I've leveled up in above my head. That being said, I'm not convinced any mod contributed to this issue. In this picture it's 53.5F inside, we're going winter which is why I've really kind of had it with this bug for this character. Semi-comfortable, well lit in the morning/afternoon/evening and dry. But upon crossing the threshold of those doors, the game then registers that we're outside.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2548315150

To answer some obvious questions first

Yes, there is a roof

Yes, floor tiles are on either side of each wall in a desperate attempt to kick this glitch at some point

Yes, we're on a lake  :D

Funny enough, I've built a pillar on every edge I'm capable of doing so on the main house, but have not done so on the store room. Still, the store room registers interior. You can even see inside the edges from the outside in the pics.

So yeah, we're raining and snowing inside where I normally sleep and it sucks. The furnace is next to useless in this space as it's fighting the coming winter cold. If it had not been for a backup I had cuz IWBUMS, I would have lost this character due to some nonsense as there was a massive freeze that came in overnight one night and I hadn't realized yet that the building registered as exterior and my character died unexpectedly. Kinda my bad, but he'd have survived just fine in the store room since it's interior. The sheet rope you see going up is attached to a fence on the roof which actually has walls built around it with a roof on top of that also. That best part is, that tiny room he crawls into after climbing the rope also registers as interior, is super well lit even when my "home" is not, as it's exterior, even though it has no windows!

I've made an attempt at deleting the isoregiondata folder - reloading game - destroy wall and rebuilding it to no avail. I've done that a good number of times while trying a few different things to trigger the game to finally think the building is interior but came out empty handed. I was hoping someone could take a look at this. This is actually the first time I've ever gone onto a game's forum to participate in the community. I've got a .rar of my save file prepped, but I'm a bit unfamiliar with  trusted file sharing sites so if you wanna take a look at the world, you'll have to recommend me a site to upload :)

Thanks to anyone for reading this or even looking into it!

Edited by BraunF14

I'm having the same problem with a small shack I've built as an annex to a house in Raven Creek. I did everything (except perhaps changing the existing floor tiles to ones built by me) but the shack still registers as outdoors and I couldn't plumb my sink/washing machine to the barrels I built on its roof.  Even in vanilla, no matter how I built up the 2nd floor of the big warehouse in Muldraugh, it still registers (in part) as outdoors and I couldn't connect my washing machine to it. Guess it's a glitch that happens randomly in the game, unless the devs could point out the mistakes we made in building our bases from existing structures...

I agree that it is something that we've done something during the building process that the game didn't like. But I'm not sure what that is. I really hope my post gets picked up in the coming days. It would be interesting the pinpoint the cause of this. It doesn't seem to be a location issue as it would be too improbable that I built my doors against the border to that area in which the problem starts. So it's clearly the process and steps taken whilst building that are causing the game to spaz in this aspect. I think.... We'll see!

After some review of other recent posts in the bug section, it's come to my attention that these posts don't receive much attention. Usually no replied. However, I did see one or two in which it looks like someone who's working on the game has responded. From what I gather, this is what we've got:

Devs are aware of the issue

Devs are working on the issue

The issue turned out to be a much larger problem than they had anticipated

For now there is no real fix.

I'm going to hope for some kind of response from a dev on what the issue might be so we as a playerbase can get an idea of what's under the hood in this regard. Also I'm going to do some experimenting with my base and see what I can get figured out. Bit of a daunting task, as I don't really want to use cheats, but with my base the way it is, I should have infinite sustainability. Today I'll have a goal of replacing all the floors with pre-built floors and see if that forces the game to generate an interior decision. Any tips are welcome in this thread. Let's see if we can lend a hand to the devs and find some of this bug's cause :D or try to at least lol

So after some testing this afternoon, I've come to understand a few things. And with the lack of answers on other threads and other sources found via online searches, I figured I'd post some of this here in hopes that it may be of use to someone.

Let's get down to what I've found"

-Pillars DO NOT matter. no ifs ands or buts about it. they hold no relevance to how an interior may be recognized. It seems that this is an old wive's tale in the realm of PZ discussions online. I won't go into all of the ways in which I tried things out to come to this conclusion, but the smoking gun is that interiors can be detected with the complete lack of pillars on any corner even in complex-shaped homes.

-Concave vs. convex shapes seem to hold no relevance in recognition so long as that shape is on the same horizontal level

-Sheet ropes are going to f*** your s***. Ok look yes it's probably the greatest of all zombie killers. A Z-level and some fabric and you're totally safe. So I've come to find that adding, and especially removing, sheet rope is going to wreak havoc in the code to determine if something is inside or not. This may also have to do with the coding around floors/ceilings as removal of these items is necessary while creating those types of entry way. There's really a lot to go into with this one as I did some of the testing with creative mode features. From what I can tell, having an empty floor tile with a sheet rope going through it to the z-level below adds a flag of sorts to that tile and possibly to the ones adjacent to them. I think it is tiles adjacent as adding walls perpendicular to sheet rope exit setups will not allow you to add sheet rope after the walls have been constructed. There's a lot of investigation into the effects and ramifications of these features and I believe that a lot of the code work involved has to do with something that pertains to this.

-Walls do not need to be fully constructed in order to make something an interior. This is huge actually and I never see it talked about. You can fully isolate yourself from the outside and it's harsh climate by using only framing. In the pictures provided next, you'll see that the first and second floor now register as an interior even though they are only framed walls. I think I might have a before and after. Either way, framing works as complete walls. Whether or not it increases temperature resistance after being fully built is another topic altogether. This fact seems to be one of those other old wive's tales you hear about online sometimes. Well now you know!

-Placed floors vs constructed floors. Ok so this one's kinda big. Essentially there is no significant difference. You will have the same result either way you build your floors. Still highly recommend constructing a floor with planks as a baseline and then adding placed floors additionally. I think that's the requirement anyways. But reason being is... well we'll get to that at the end because I fixed my interior problem and I'll tell you how to too!

-You do not need adjacent floors on the inside and outside of your home for it to register interior. It is not reflected in the pics attached that I've uploaded to my Steam, but I've removed the exterior border floor tiles you see on the second floor. I re-added them as I quite like a safety blanket in case I manage to drunkenly jump out a window. But I did some testing with those exterior border tiles and it actually led me to the full solution for fixing interior detection... and that is priority.

Lower floor fully registering as interior with only framed walls

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2551279526

No rain here which is a huge massive update from my first post. This is where I sleep for god's sake!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2551279588

So here we go. Here's the fix!

Rebuild. And rebuild CLEAN

I'm not even kidding. Take your original idea and gut it. Remove your furniture after moving all your stored items somewhere. Remove the walls. Remove the ceiling if you have to, but if you've already made it just keep it unless you're still running into issues.

I'll go into a little detail after this but the guaranteed solution is just to start from scratch and do a "clean build". So I highlight that term because the coding around construction is shaky at best. You're going to have to really baby the game into giving you the interior that you wish to define. So gut your interior, destroy the walls, and start from the outside-in. After about 2-3 hours of testing, deleting chunk files, reloading, and hammering away at just about anything I could to jog the game into realizing I had an interior built - it came down to just a clean build, exterior first. I'd left all my floor and ceiling tiles for ease and to be a sort of guide (although I had a very good idea of the dimensions of my building anyways). I only redid the walls after gutting all my floor transitions like sheet ropes. Guarantee you'll come out clean. If not PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond to this post and link me a zip of your world file. I'll jump in and take a look at your constructions and see if I can get it to recognize an interior. And that's really it. Now onto the explanation

There seems to be a pre-programmed glitch in the construction process that gives a 1-2-3 priority setting to each tile. This can be observed by building a number of items on a single tile and attempting to destroy them. The game has it's own idea in which item will be the first in line to be destroyed and the results are inconsistent. Sometimes the floor will be chosen first before a corner pillar or a wall. Sometimes the wall first, etc. Beyond this, a floor transition like a flight of stairs or sheet ropes will add a flag to nearby tiles. This inconsistent categorizing of constructions into appropriate layers and flagging them appropriately in the code (somehow) is a definite issue in getting the game to do what you want it to do. Among other factors, I think that I can actually fix just about any interior registering issue in the game now. Feel free to share your issues and let's see if we can fix them together.

I want to note that I was willing to take this one to the bitter end as this is one of the more challenging runs, settings wise, of PZ I've done and by far the longest I've survived. A lot of time went into gathering the materials for just this modest extension into the lake so far. I was not willing to give up on it all because the winter freeze would cause my base to be all but inhabitable. Thanks for your time reading! I hope that I've cleared some stuff up for all of you.

Edited by BraunF14

• 1 year later...

Just FYI, this method indeed works (build 41.77.9) for correcting indoor/outdoor location configuration. I still need to fix the indoor lighting for new construction, but immense thanks to the OP for this solution!

• 1 month later...

hey i was wondering,

how about second floors, am i just straight up forced to make level transitions separate on the outside? because it keeps breaking for me,

i tested what you said, but i am unable to make it work with second floors, i may make it work with 2 separate rooms, but the second i break the foors, even when i place the stairs, it breaks, any tips? as said i have 2 functional rooms until that point, do i have to rebuild that room with the stairs already there?

and i have a tip to give myself:

if you are making a house out of multiple modules, remove the corners to make it a whole singular "room" before separating the second compartment with walls, otherwise the game really struggles

• 2 months later...

I think I've isolated the problem. If you make a cabin with the stairs enclosed in the cabin itself, the three roof tiles on the floor above those stairs will not register correctly, preventing the game from marking the floor the stairs go up to as interior. The issue can be worked around by having your stairs outside, or in a room separate from the rest of the lower floor's rooms, or apparently by having the stairs against an interior wall? The behavior still seems inconsistent, but it does seem to be caused by stairs.