It's Coming to Roam

nasKo

On 7/19/2021 at 3:26 AM, Blake81 said:

TBH, you can still play the latest games with Win7- Heck, I played CP2077 on High, and I never got any crashes or problems on it, it's all about your specs, and if you MEET a game's specs, you will be able to play it, regardless of if it says "Win10 Only". Of course, if the game has DX12 exclusively (so far, only the HZD port had that, and for me it was no prob as I have it on my PS4), it will not work. But as of right now, those games are far and few.

To add to that, you can also try Linux. I use both os on a daily basis for work and I have to say that, for games that run natively, linux is typically much more efficient in terms of memory usage. On my laptop, 16gb of ram, the difference in stuttering for memory hungry applications is incredible between Ubuntu and Win10. You might have worse results for games that are heavily GPU-limited if you have an nvidia card, but that is not the case for PZ. Forget about using Wine, in this case it's rather inefficient.

Just my 0.02 €

Love the VCR and CD devices idea. The horror movie tape demo was very funny, seeing how it affects stress and panic levels! I'm using @Nebula's Immersive CD Players mod to manage unhappiness and boredom, which is really neat because I get to hear real music in-game, but I'm just as happy with a text version. I just hope this feature would also manage unhappiness (and stress) in the same way that TV shows and radio programs currently do. 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:03 AM, MadDan2013 said:

In the most basic sense, garbage collection is a Java process that cleans up useless code to free memory for the program. In PZ this would come as playing for a few hours and having those microstutters for the collector to free up. But there's also times where it'd pause in the game as that process runs causing the stutters.

Not 100% correct but from PZ's optimization perspective that's the gist.

Key point: The new one being pause-less.

ahhh...thank you for that info. I'm prone to reload my game after I start to see some stutter anyways, so that never bothered me as the reload always fixed the issue.

16 hours ago, numbersixthecat said:

To add to that, you can also try Linux. I use both os on a daily basis for work and I have to say that, for games that run natively, linux is typically much more efficient in terms of memory usage. On my laptop, 16gb of ram, the difference in stuttering for memory hungry applications is incredible between Ubuntu and Win10. You might have worse results for games that are heavily GPU-limited if you have an nvidia card, but that is not the case for PZ. Forget about using Wine, in this case it's rather inefficient.

Oh, I tried. Believe me. Got Debian Stable on one of my partitions. However, every time I try to do anything on it, it simply doesn't work. Not because anything's wrong with it, but because I am no doubt doing something wrong- I feel like a grandma when using it. My plan was to set a Virtual Machine inside of it- Basically have a VHD of my current Win7 running there. But I never got it to work, and all websites I found about it were all either extremely unclear or extremely noob-unfriendly.

I'm no slouch with a PC, but I am tragically GUI-spoiled; to me Linux has always been the stuff of true-blooded Hackers, Coders and Game Devs who understand the complexities of code, and are able to tame the dragon that's Linux... Maybe I'll get there some day...

On 7/21/2021 at 10:52 AM, Blake81 said:

Oh, I tried. Believe me. Got Debian Stable on one of my partitions. However, every time I try to do anything on it, it simply doesn't work. Not because anything's wrong with it, but because I am no doubt doing something wrong- I feel like a grandma when using it. My plan was to set a Virtual Machine inside of it- Basically have a VHD of my current Win7 running there. But I never got it to work, and all websites I found about it were all either extremely unclear or extremely noob-unfriendly.

I'm no slouch with a PC, but I am tragically GUI-spoiled; to me Linux has always been the stuff of true-blooded Hackers, Coders and Game Devs who understand the complexities of code, and are able to tame the dragon that's Linux... Maybe I'll get there some day...

Not sure how long ago did you tried it, but that has changed since. Keep an eye on how things goes with Valve's Steam Deck as they are going full-blown Linux for gaming with KDE on it!

3 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Not sure how long ago did you tried it, but that has changed since. Keep an eye on how things goes with Valve's Steam Deck as they are going full-blown Linux for gaming with KDE on it!

I spent a good chunk of 2020 (had to do something while stuck home, hah!) playing around with Debian Stable (Cinnamon). I'll say, the stuff I did with a VMM made feel LIKE A GOD- The emulation potential of the thing is nigh-infinite. I just need to take a course on the basics, but I am one of those tragically traditionalist dudes who needs an actual classroom to learn, not just a video.

And yes, the Steam Deck looks like the business (if Valve DOES actually support it after release...), and KDE Plasma is basically "Win10, but Good". 

The NoiseWorks stuff is coming along so well! :D

A suggestion related to that particular video, though not the NoiseWorks stuff:
When impacting a zombie, they clip through the car... This is something I've run into when making games myself. The key is to, on impact, add a modifier to the zombie's animation speed during damage calculation.

So if carspeed = x and zombie animation speed = y, zombie animation speed = x+y when run over by a car moving above a certain speed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, Blake81 said:

TBH, you can still play the latest games with Win7- Heck, I played CP2077 on High, and I never got any crashes or problems on it, it's all about your specs, and if you MEET a game's specs, you will be able to play it, regardless of if it says "Win10 Only". Of course, if the game has DX12 exclusively (so far, only the HZD port had that, and for me it was no prob as I have it on my PS4), it will not work. But as of right now, those games are far and few.

That's some good info. to know. Thank you....I recently purchased a much older game through Steam that did not show Win 7 as being supported. I love the game so much I decided to take a chance. It was on sale and if it doesn't work, I'm not out to much cash.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:03 AM, MadDan2013 said:

In the most basic sense, garbage collection is a Java process that cleans up useless code to free memory for the program. In PZ this would come as playing for a few hours and having those microstutters for the collector to free up. But there's also times where it'd pause in the game as that process runs causing the stutters.

Not 100% correct but from PZ's optimization perspective that's the gist.

Key point: The new one being pause-less.

Thank you for that explanation. I love learning new things.