Just downloaddd build 41, won't let me barricade doors or windows. I've tried everything.

Matt81

Yes, I've got 4 planks, a hammer and box of nails. This is very frustrating because barricading is super important in this game, and if you can't do it then what's the point of playing? The devs need to address this!

The below is only relevant if unpacking the box of nails solves your issue:

Are you using one of those "Better Weapons" mods or the equivalent?

Because this issue comes up all the time, and it's almost always one of those.

TLDR explanation: Almost all mods of that nature overwrite the item scripts, instead of using Item Tweaker to modify them. When Vanilla PZ switched to using the (much better) Tag system for defining tools in their scripts, that meant that everyone using a Better Weapon mod that had a custom item script for hammers or screwdrivers were then shut out of being able to use them as such.

Were you able to barricade before switching to B41? Did you sue any mods before switching to B41?

Could you verify the files, please. Here's how: In Steam Library RMC Project Zomboid > Select "Properties" > "Local files" > "Verify integrity of game files"

Can you try switching to 41 again and try barricading one more time? After trying that, exit the game and go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid"
From there, attach the "console.txt" file to your message and we can check the game logs for any issues there.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out. Disabling the offending mods in the main menu does not work on existing saves. You must disable the mod(s) per save from the Load menu ("More" button near the bottom right). I had an old weapon durability mod enabled by accident which was causing this problem for me.

15 hours ago, VirtualViolet said:

I figured it out. Disabling the offending mods in the main menu does not work on existing saves. You must disable the mod(s) per save from the Load menu ("More" button near the bottom right). I had an old weapon durability mod enabled by accident which was causing this problem for me.

Thank you so much for sharing the solution! Will likely to help someone else in the future :)