ADT-like Sign for houses with alarms!

Hellfire

So i think that one of the biggest problems with house alarms currently is that you have no way of knowing which house has one and which house doesnt. No one likes having every zombie suddenly start b-lining straight to their location for no other reason than picking the wrong house to loot food from. I think a good solution to this problem would be having signs out front of houses indicting theres an alarm active, like those little ADT signs. Some might find this a little broken or defeats the purpose, but Im not done just yet. They would be toggable in the settings, they could be made to appear very rarely, or simply appear for every alarm-rigged house. 

The psychological aspect of real or fake alarm signs would definitely make for interesting gameplay decisions. Might be harder to implement because alarms are random, so figuring out how to spawn or despawn those signs automatically would be necessary. The other way would be to spawn an actual device someone with electrical knowledge could even disable, but that's even more elaborate.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, NoPizzaSad said:

Might be harder to implement because alarms are random, so figuring out how to spawn or despawn those signs automatically would be necessary. 

I wonder if it would be possible to some how link it to the building, then have little stickers pop up on windows or something. Maybe even make them movable, so when mp comes out, players can put up fake stickers to mess with local looters.

I think this could definitely be a fun addition to the game. I agree some might say it breaks the purpose, but with a Sandbox setting this would be easy to change. Plus, the sign could spawn in a place that's easy to miss; or you might just forget to check for the sign before entering the house. Even without considering that, it still isn't that big a deal because car alarms would always be a factor that pose the same threat.

I think it would be easiest to implement this by making it similar to generator spawns. Have the sign randomly spawn on different houses and then flag a certain percentage of those houses to have an alarm based on the settings. Then, potentially add a few more alarmed houses again based off settings. Even better would be to also add a physical alarm control pad to the house so it's possible to 100% determine if the alarm sign is a dummy or if there was none to begin with by looking through windows to try and spot one. A medium-high electrical skill could even disarm it before it goes off, giving a reason to level up Electrical beyond level 5 or 6.