Do "Gunfire ReinforZEDments" ever end? They don't seem to...

Blake81

So, before we start, lemme clarify what I mean by "Gunfire ReinforZEDments"-

Whenever you shoot a gun anywhere on PZ that's not the middle of an empty woodland, Zombies will come to you en masse like you rang the dinner bell. And as far as I can tell, no matter how many you kill, more will come unless you stop using the gun... or at least that's what I've heard. Those Zed aren't simply the ones from nearby areas- They seemingly SPAWN whenever you use a gun. Hence, "Gunfire ReinforZEDments".

So, with that out of the way, I decided to make a sandbox with invincible player constructions, but all else normal, and fenced myself in the self-storage of north Mul (the one between the Big Warehouse and the Car Mechanic), gathered two stepvan's worth of ammo, and started shooting from behind my fence.

20210630165556_1.thumb.jpg.a8760d3e9d1f9187942033413589a495.jpg

This picture is after 2 real world hours of non-stop shooting (at max skill)- There's a Mount Everest's worth of corpses there under that horde, and just outside of view, there's a steady stream of Zed that keeps reinforcing the horde, I dare say faster than I can shot them. There are even "Special Spawns" (Cops, Bandits, Hunters- you can even see an Escaped Inmate there) along with them, which is weird as I thought those were a special-encounters-only thing.

It's been 2 hours like that, and there's no sign of stopping, and that's what has me concerned....

If Zeds spawn non-stop upon firearm usage, there's simply no realistic way to use guns except "Shoot and Sprint (away)". Is this intended to be that way, or is it a bug of some sorts?

Does this EVER STOPS? Or do they keep getting respawning reinforcements ad infinitum? So far it seems like the latter option. Is this a bug, or is it inteded

Couldn't you really easily test this hypothesis by going out into the middle of nowhere and firing your gun off a bit? If it actually did spawn NEW zombies, rather than simply attracting local zombies, then you should be seeing waves like this out there also. Perhaps not as many, but more than the 1 or 2 that are typically roaming the those parts.

2 hours ago, Axiomatic said:

Couldn't you really easily test this hypothesis by going out into the middle of nowhere and firing your gun off a bit? If it actually did spawn NEW zombies, rather than simply attracting local zombies, then you should be seeing waves like this out there also. Perhaps not as many, but more than the 1 or 2 that are typically roaming the those parts.

I actually tested that, and did so using the debug mode to see the Zed populace.

If you go somewhere NO ZED SPAWN, you can host a shooting competition if you want, not a zed will come.

Now, if you shoot somewhere within an area that has spawnpoints, Zeds will just spawn ad infinitum.

Even tested it on specific places- Zeds ALWAYS correspond to the ones that would spawn in those places.

As someone, who kills large hordes with a shotgun quite regularly, I can't confirm your observation.

I'm playing with a finite zed sandbox setting (no respawn) though, so in normal  mode your miles may vary.

It takes a lot of time for all zeds in hearing range to gather, and can be quite stetched out, if the surrounding area is complex/blocked/hard to navigate like in your screenshot. This part of Muldraugh is heavily populated and big fences will lead to long detours for zeds.

I'm playing this game for a long time now and this is the first time ever, that someone makes a statement like yours. AFAIK, there is no "Zedspawn through Shooting" mechanic ingame. Never heard of that.

Maybe its a bug, maybe not - at least I can 100% assure you, that there is a definitive end to the zombiestream when zombie-spawning is turned off in sandbox (respawn hours to 0 iirc).

Guns in PZ are loud as hell, I think shotguns have a sound radius of 200, so you will bring tons upon tons of zeds.

Then I played Brita's Weapon Pack mod and I looked in the code, there, they have a sound radius of 30-40 for pistols and 70-80 for shotguns.

And the difference was huge since I was used to the enormous sound radius from vanilla guns :P

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile back I tested this myself, used some tools to make myself invulnerable, with unlimited ammo and no need to reload and stood at the giga mart in west point and shotgunned zeds without leaving the area (I think maybe standing in one place the whole time) and after quite awhile and a few truckloads of kills later I ended up giving up because they never stopped coming. I found it odd because as far as I know there aren't actually unlimited zombies anywhere. On the other hand I found it hard to accept that there were that many zombies in earshot. This was probably at least 2-4 years of builds ago though. They will respawn if you leave an area for awhile, however. I think the default is 3 game days without the player present for repopulation.

But yeah, the way guns have been implemented in PZ has been a sore spot for me in the game since forever. Guns aren't useful for much other than making a situation worse. In an emergency where your situation would be improved by more rapid removal of threats, you'll just attract a GREAT deal more threats. Out away from towns where they are more safe to use you probably won't be in the situation where they'd be needed. So what's the point? It's not a very realistic or fun way to represent them. Yes, gun sounds in reality are very loud and can travel about two miles (3.22km) away, but outside of the immediate area it is very difficult to pinpoint exactly where the sound originated from. The direction, depending on the area, sure, but not always. The way that sounds bounce around in urban areas can throw it off.

Also, a 12 gauge shotgun like the one in PZ looks to be is not significantly louder than an 9mm pistol. A sawed off one would be louder, but the longer the barrel the less loud it tends to be since more of the energy is transferred to the barrel. So a shotgun can in fact produce less sound than a pistol. Going off the model of the shotgun in game, I'd guess that it has a 28" barrel. Which would actually produce less sound than a 9mm pistol. If it was an 18" barrel, to the shooter or onlookers the only really discernable difference would probably be the frequency of the sound. I personally think handguns and rifles are more harsh to hear than shotguns because the sound is higher pitched with more of a crack to them but that's beside the point.

Reality aside, I don't think the in game system for guns is fun and I really can't imagine how NPCs will deal with it. All it will take is one idiot NPC firing his gun in town and everyone will be dead.

17 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

Awhile back I tested this myself, used some tools to make myself invulnerable, with unlimited ammo and no need to reload and stood at the giga mart in west point and shotgunned zeds without leaving the area (I think maybe standing in one place the whole time) and after quite awhile and a few truckloads of kills later I ended up giving up because they never stopped coming. I found it odd because as far as I know there aren't actually unlimited zombies anywhere. On the other hand I found it hard to surprising that there were that many zombies in earshot. This was probably at least 2-4 years of builds ago though. They will respawn if you leave an area for awhile, however. I think the default is 3 game days without the player present for repopulation.

That basically matches my observations- Unless you set the Zed to NEVER SPAWN, if you start shooting they WILL spawn if you are within earshot of a place where there's a chance of such.

I also tested with Debug mode, using that "Map" thing that lets you see the Zeds in real time, and yes, they spawned CONSTANTLY, usually 1-3 every few minutes. Once the next IWBUMS rolls in, I'm gonna record it with Shadowplay and show it here.

Archived