Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

I will try those :). Maybe take another look on dropbox. I have it, but never realy used it. First thing is to categorize my screens. To bad the game crashes after a number of screenshots taken :P.

EDIT: After my frustration levels with dropbox i made an album on imgur. I used the pz map to point the location to the screenshot. (my paint skills are horrible, i warn you ;) ).

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/UzZnc?#0

PS: I noticed someting about the behavior of the cracks. At some of the screenshots it started as cracks. After a CTD and restart of PZ, some cracks were replaced with plants. On other locations cracks were still visible on ground tiles (may it be roads, grass or gravel). Up  till now i haven't seen that crack sprite on buildings.

Credits: Thanks to Robomat and Rathlord for helping me to get the external imaging working and Robomat for testing the link.

I will try those :). Maybe take another look on dropbox. I have it, but never realy used it. First thing is to categorize my screens. To bad the game crashes after a number of screenshots taken :P.

EDIT: After my frustration levels with dropbox i made an album on imgur. I used the pz map to point the location to the screenshot. (my paint skills are horrible, i warn you ;) ).

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/UzZnc?#0

PS: I noticed someting about the behavior of the cracks. At some of the screenshots it started as cracks. After a CTD and restart of PZ, some cracks were replaced with plants. On other locations cracks were still visible on ground tiles (may it be roads, grass or gravel). Up  till now i haven't seen that crack sprite on buildings.

Credits: Thanks to Robomat and Rathlord for helping me to get the external imaging working and Robomat for testing the link.

Ha, we have the same safehouse.

It was very close to where i started, and i wanted an easy spot so i could focus on checking the mod out. 

Something that popped into my head: The right-click menu doesn't work for everyone, and what i experienced and read it happenes on tiles that are influenced by the mod (new sprites and such). I don't know if it can work or if it is even possible, but would it work if you can make a code that acts like a reference to the right-click menu coding?

Something like: if you right click on the tile, call the vanilla code. (not writing something new, but link the action to the altered tiles). Maybe the game gets confused with the new tiles and coding that comes with it.

The issue described by Matherodin (the weird cracks and all) has been solved, seems it was a corrupted world. As new games turn out fine for him.

If I'm not mistaken, in media\lua\Erosion\themes you can edit ThemeErosion.lua and change ErosionLevel = 100 to 0 if you want the world to start aging. Anything over 0 will act as if time already passed.

@Lightning Flash: What Kyun mentioned would do the trick yes, assuming thats what you meant with setting the year. If you mean just changing the year value for i dunno roleplay purposes, then no thats not possible :P

Eventually i wanna see if its possible to add some stuff to the pre-game menus so you can adjust settings with UI.

On a side note, a new update is almost ready, added quite a bunch of winter textures done by mr. Thutzor.

He made snow versions of roofs and a whole bunch of game bushes and trees that had no winter textures yet.

Sneakpeek:

b81eee3576d5fc5a92a992d32332f4e8.png

Also implemented some sort of fix for the game speed UI

dda67bb3874d7945fb1fdca337c8490d.png

While i couldnt find a way to adjust the buttons themselves, they are hardcoded in the SpeedControls class and have not found a way to override their textures yet, i did find a little temporary solution which is putting a background behind them. It technically is a HUDButton which does notthing, added to the SpeedControls arraylist.

Implemented fixes for all bugs on the list except for these 2:

• The rightclicking.
    Ive traced down where the problem is at, seems my custom sprites dont have a proper "mask" which prevents the pz code from detecting a succesfull hit. Ive been fooling around a bit to generate a mask for them as there seems to be some functions for that, but so far not succesfull. If anyone knows a bit about this subject please drop me a pm.
  • The "empty" chunks on loading a savegame.
    Seems to be caused by the game loading a block of chunks before Erosion has intialised the sprites properly.

Will look into these more tonight.

Just wanted to say that I downloaded this mod today, having seen Twiggy's coverage of it in his Twitch stream.

First off, I have to say that it looks amazing, it seriously improves upon the look of PZ, in my opinion, not only giving a new look to everything, but also conveying the passage of time wonderfully.

As per the advice in the OP, I made a new world to test this on, and changed the settings to DevMode=true, ErosionLevel=0 and SetMonth=3

Holy pyjamas, Batman! I couldn't recognise my own stomping grounds on West Point after the Erosion level had cranked all the way up.

This offer a whole new challenge to players, and lots more wood to chop down.

Quick question: when i reenter a new map, is the starting month always reset to whatever SetMonth says?

It was rather amusing to go to sleep in January and wake up again in April. I'd better go turn off DevMode now!

Anyway, I can't wait to see where this mod goes from here, thanks turbotutone and Thuztor!!

Edit: can the trees that spawn due to Erosion mod be cut down? I haven't been able to do so, so far...

There are already vines crawling up walls. Do you mean vines across roofs too?

I'm curious to know if this mod can be deselected from the mods menu and still have saved games that previously used this mod loading properly.

I ask because I'm getting overrun with trees and I can't cut them down - I'm more worried about rampaging trees than zombies right now!

I'm thinking that a good solution to that would be to spawn trees next to trees only. It makes sense if you think about it, seeds will fall from trees and new ones will grow next to it (there are no birds yet to propagate those seeds so :P).

That way you wouldn't have trees on middle of the highway or in your garden, they'd come slowly to your safehouse :D But I don't know how complex it would be to implement.

This mod is really awesome, I've been following it since day 1 it was announced, I am currently testing it and I have no performance problems so far and it's great, one question though..how do I make it snow like in the pictures :D? I changed the date to december and it's not snowing so can anyone clarify on this?

Quick question: when i reenter a new map, is the starting month always reset to whatever SetMonth says?

Edit: can the trees that spawn due to Erosion mod be cut down? I haven't been able to do so, so far...

The setmonth, yea it will reset, i think even when you load the same map :P gonna fix/remove them at some point since theyre just test stuff for me.

Thanks for pointing the trees out :) i know what causes that so ill make sure to fix it for next update.

There are already vines crawling up walls. Do you mean vines across roofs too?

I'm curious to know if this mod can be deselected from the mods menu and still have saved games that previously used this mod loading properly.

Yea, it may run a map without the mod loaded, but i strongly recommend not doing this, its at your own risk :P

A map linked to the mod should always be ran with the mod active.

I'm thinking that a good solution to that would be to spawn trees next to trees only. It makes sense if you think about it, seeds will fall from trees and new ones will grow next to it (there are no birds yet to propagate those seeds so :P).

That way you wouldn't have trees on middle of the highway or in your garden, they'd come slowly to your safehouse :D But I don't know how complex it would be to implement.

Hmm thats rather difficult, atleast with the noise system its using right now. Imagine the seeds being blown away by wind.

Im going to fix the trees so they are cuttable, and perhaps a sickle for next update so yall can keep nature from overtaking your safehouses :P

This mod is really awesome, I've been following it since day 1 it was announced, I am currently testing it and I have no performance problems so far and it's great, one question though..how do I make it snow like in the pictures :D? I changed the date to december and it's not snowing so can anyone clarify on this?

Thanks, and to comment on your problem. It snows from 20 dec to 10 jan (from memory, hope its right :P) if it doesnt display snow, i recommend trying it with the public beta branch (you can select that on steam in the properties of the game) Dr. Cox had problems with snow displaying that were fixed by doing so.

Also, Ive got a little distracted by some sideprojects and rl paintjob. Hope to finish the update later this week.

Hi turbotutone!

Just wanted to let you know that this message appears in my log file (in several different places) after starting PZ:
MOD: can't find "/Users/UserName/Zomboid/mods/turbo-erosion/mod.info"

And in loaded.txt it says "turbo-erosion". But the name of Erosion's mod folder is "Erosion".
Is this a mismatch of some kind?
Cheers!