Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

New screenies look pretty cool, but I wonder if there will still be some grass-stuff on the streets? :) I liked the overgrown streets pretty much.

Most certainly :P but there will be new grass for the streets made by Thutzor, imagine grass growing from cracks and that kind of stuff.

Also ive been working on the progression yesterday and so far that seems to work nicely. To give you all a impression of that i let the system take a screenshot every 10 levels of erosion:

Note: there is a flaw in the screenshots, the objects that evolve simply spawn over the existing objects at the moment, gonna fix that so they remove the old object first.

Progression Screenshots:

Level 0:

74cffd8916aafdc49239c546b1ee93b6.png

Level 10:

e666f945e8a0a55829df18b8ef8ad21f.png

Level 20:

d1cc87044a79ebc64c262bdf45e57eac.png

Level 30:

a204b1f30ca13162dd99d97515a45471.png

Level 40:

7b7b9beefcc2cc1b885e274e40ff1b55.png

Level 50:

c651f5c2b8ea44b43ffd7d65f77e2158.png

Level 60:

e64bc76addec76180f09791dc28870bf.png

Level 70:

035ddd591f6ac401766d235f252e788b.png

Level 80:

486ec3d725884736f8e8efa20d5df308.png

Level 90:

e4edc2d0934b9f95a0f195d72fd1a829.png

Level 100: (accidentally opened inventory, sorry about that :P)

8a6823e2bae85606a76fd4b490b275b0.png

And lastly, for RoboMat, a Stalkerish screen that has a bit of a pripyat feel:

6b337d7305fea9b56ff9d49b11285720.png

Greets,

Turbo

this is a great mod you are working on, but i notice one thing in particular...

everything is too alive. it's all green and looking like it still has sprinklers on a timer taking care of it.

is it possible to make it look more wild, with dying bushes that have turned yellow, trees that have lost their leaves, grass that has turned yellow from lack of water......... more like a ghost town from the wild west.

of course, i don't even know if this is possible with the current game, just a thought.

i don't know about Kentucky. i live in Utah, and the things i mentioned are exactly what happens here, and what would happen. of course, this is also a desert state, with heavy snow fall, so i may have a skewered view of what other states have happen there

How long does it take to get to level 100 at the moment?

At the moment about 5 minutes :D but thats a test setting obviously. The whole timer right now can be set from mere seconds real life time to for example 10 years or more ingame time, the definate settings are still undecided.

This is wonderful, I never though someone would think about that, well congrats, btw when does this mod gonna be release ? 

Thanks :) i hope to release a test version asap, its coming close but theres a few things on the roadmap i still have to realise.

I have a weird question for you- could this be used to put snow on the ground and on buildings using the same formulas?

I guess technically yes, it would need some adjustments here and there (for example snow would need "border" tiles) but it should be possible. What exactly do you have in mind if i may ask? :)

this is a great mod you are working on, but i notice one thing in particular...

everything is too alive. it's all green and looking like it still has sprinklers on a timer taking care of it.

is it possible to make it look more wild, with dying bushes that have turned yellow, trees that have lost their leaves, grass that has turned yellow from lack of water......... more like a ghost town from the wild west.

of course, i don't even know if this is possible with the current game, just a thought.

Well, at the moment im using a selection of nature objects the game offers... ive did some testing last week and in earlier versions i used all objects there were. However using all those objects resulted in a mish mash that wasnt pleasing for the eye imo. So i trimmed the collection of nature objects to those that look rather plain (excluding most dead stuff), i do plan to bring back some more deadish plants but limit their spawn chance a bit. Also RobertJohnson added custom color info a while ago to the java functions and i plan to experiment with that as well to bring some more slight color variations.

As Rathlord pointed out, nature doesnt go dead unless its living on bad soil or in bad climates, so considering the region where PZ takes place the vibrance of nature would be allright i guess. Perhaps regions with different qualities of soil would be an option, but that would be something for a todo list else a release will never come :P

I have a weird question for you- could this be used to put snow on the ground and on buildings using the same formulas?

I guess technically yes, it would need some adjustments here and there (for example snow would need "border" tiles) but it should be possible. What exactly do you have in mind if i may ask? :)

I was thinking a neat addition/side project/other project would be to add snow textures and have tiles turn to snow tiles (same properties and things in them, but replaced with identical tiles covered in snow). Needn't really have much of a game impact (because Kentucky doesn't typically get enough accumulation to do much), but it would be neat to see the game world that way.