Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

Thanks everyone, sorry for the kind of belated reply :D

The thread hasn't seen a proper update in while cause i decided to lay low a bit after RJ approached me with the integration proposal some time ago.
Guess now the cat's out of the bag i might as well elaborate a little on stuff going on :P

First of all let me say it's been a pleasure getting to know members of the TIS team and working togheter with them on integrating the mod into the game, they are an awesome bunch of people. As mentioned in the mondoid Mashpotato is making all kinds of great new nature artwork for the game, and i'm excited to see how the system will generate when all those pieces are put into the mix.

As for some of the new features.

Noise
Firstly the noise generator has gotten a overhaul. This image reflects the old noise:

4dee8764de13167a703c7e34f82a235b.png
Every layer was scaled and weighted by equal proportions and shared the same input variables.

So i decided to rewrite parts of the noise class, now it accepts scale, weight & seed individually per layer.

Example output:

8135dfcee25d883e4558f376648ebc73.png

Improved distribution
Another new addition to the system is introducing more variables to play with. The old system basically only had the main noise layer, which governed the intensity of erosion at a particular tile and subsequently a category of object was chosen (tree,bush, grass etc) depending on intensity. Trees would have a reasonable chance on high intensity spot, lower intensity resorted to grass more likely. From the categories a random object was chosen to take the spot (i.e. random type of tree).
However, this resulted into pretty much the same pattern of nature to arise over the entire map.

To combat this two extra noise layers for chunks are introduced, moisture and minerals. On their own they can influence the spawn chance of trees types for example, if i remember correctly Oak's prefer high moisture areas.
Moisture and minerals are also used to define soiltypes, different soil types spread over a larger area and influence types of lower vegitation that can spawn (possibly also structure of generation).
Here's a picture of a early test, couldnt find any recent ones, just to illustrate.

7a480b5273c5839ea3dc43333e10753b.png
Each smallest defineable square represents a chunk.

Some ingame screenshots of all of this (these are also quite outdated)

Main noise layer.

d98adb0c73bcf7beeb9265470767b16f.png
Fertility layer.

5b6821c31f1b41db58ba4087f1ef1927.png
Soil map.

fafc24be888576d8e1030a439d5a4f5c.png
Composed result.

504dccc71b079d6a7b2c80bb97a7efe8.png

There's some other changes to the core of the system such as a overhaul of the progression and a (hopefully) better way to create custom themes, but more on that maybe later :P

To conclude a small sneakpeak of amazing new low-to-ground-plantery by Mashpotato!
(randomly scattered for testing purposes)

64ee28156389a2701da5530518b33286.png

Anyways thanks again for all the kindness and support everyone :)
And ofcourse thanks TIS for having chosen to include the mod into the game!

Also i wanted to mention Thutzor, he contributed many images to the versions that have been up for download, especially the winter landscape. He was forced to discontinue the work due to a lack of time after getting a new job, still he deserves credit for creating a substantial part of erosions aesthetics.

Regards,
Turbo

Awesome to see what you're cooking, man!

Very excited.

Steam user pankila posted a thread on our Steam community hub. Since I am clueless, I thought I'd leave a note in his stead here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/34094415940137174/?tscn=1408008223

Erosion bug.

I have the erasion mod installed, but theres always snow when i start a new save, even when its summer. Does anybody know why?

He is apparently running build 28 (IWBUMS)

First of all: congratulations! I was so excited to see your mod added to the game!

@Painkilla & nasKo, that's what Turbo wrote when I asked him about that problem:

'Its in mods/erosion/media/lua/erosion/themes/themeerosion.lua

there you can set the month to whatever you wish'

Not sure if it's going to solve your problem guys but it did work for me.

@Painkilla & nasKo, that's what Turbo wrote when I asked him about that problem:

'Its in mods/erosion/media/lua/erosion/themes/themeerosion.lua

there you can set the month to whatever you wish'

Not sure if it's going to solve your problem guys but it did work for me.

I set the month to 6 and it still doesnt work.

• 3 weeks later...

does this work with beta build 28?

At the moment I don't think this mod's working correctly. As has been mentioned it creates a winter environment no matter which month of the year it is. That could be fine though if you just set your game to start in a month where it snows though. I don't know about the rest of the features though, ie whether damage is added over time or flora grows, as I haven't had the mod installed long enough for these to take effect because that bug.

Is Erosion already on IWBUMS?

You mean the current 28 build? The mod was only just picked up by Indie Stone, so I doubt they've tweaked it enough to stick into the game yet. =/

Thank you for the clarification, mr/ms. Amada.

God I'm regretting my choice of username already. You're the second person to mistake my gender because of it. ;)

does this work with beta build 28?

At the moment I don't think this mod's working correctly. As has been mentioned it creates a winter environment no matter which month of the year it is. That could be fine though if you just set your game to start in a month where it snows though. I don't know about the rest of the features though, ie whether damage is added over time or flora grows, as I haven't had the mod installed long enough for these to take effect because that bug.

As far as I can tell in build 28.3 there are small trees growing and all this stuff, but it's allways winter and I can't tell if the functions like crops that dies outside during wintertime are working corectly.

With a bit of knowledge regarding Lua, you can actually find the variable that controls the starting month in the current release and set it to whatever you like.  I actually set mine to July to coincide with the standard Sandbox settings.  Here's how you go about changing it:

In the Erosion mod folder, go to: Erosion\media\lua\client\Erosion\themes.  You should see a file titled "ThemeErosion.lua."  Open that file and you will see a list of presets.  On line #21 you should see the following "SetMonth               = 12,"  Simply change the number next to the equals to the numeric equivalent of the month you wish to start your game at (ie. - for July, mine is "7") and voilà!  You're all set!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found this mod. May have been suggested already but would love to see interior decay too:

• Mould, dirt & grime
  • fungus (mushrooms growing in damp corners)
  • paint striping off walls
  • maybe even have floorboards collapse leaving a hole in upper floors
  • plaster crumbling off ceilings covering floors
  • cupboard doors coming off at their hinges
  • dirty mouldy bed sheets
  • grimey kitchen sink
  • small plant growth

• 1 month later...