Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

Hello hello, a very small update...

With some good news, the code is pretty much ready for a alpha version.

The bad news, many of the sprites are not :P

50% of them are crappy quick drawings, so the coming days im hoping to replace them with atleast somewhat decent looking ones (those replacements will not be final either, but will function as placeholders untill proper sprites are designed).

The trees already got a little rework, in this image i spawned both old and the new trees which have more contrast and better seasonal colors i think:

ZYGN7Xw.gif

Again its a little experimentating with their base colors, old and new basecolors:

7e5adfebda59c1d2118325e5343e8ac1.pngc27c6719f1b926ece518492e43bd6517.png

Most stuff from previous versions has been reintroduced as well, such as the vines and cracks on walls, and street detoriation, as you can see in the animated gif the majority of those still have really crappy sprites :D

P.s. i also had a little chat with Myth, who is from Kentucky and he gave some very detailed info about local plantlife etc, so were hoping to add plants in future that actually grow in the region.

Looking fantastic, as always. Very exciting stuff.

P.s. i also had a little chat with Myth, who is from Kentucky and he gave some very detailed info about local plantlife etc, so where hoping to add plants in future that actually grow in the region.

I'm from a nearby state, and I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you probably talked about kudzu. If not, it should definitely go on the list because it's probably the number one thing that would take over houses by far. For those who don't know, it does stuff like this:

kudzu-house.jpg

I'm from a nearby state, and I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you probably talked about kudzu. If not, it should definitely go on the list because it's probably the number one thing that would take over houses by far.

Haha yes, Myth had indeed mentioned that plant as well. Myself being from europe, i had never heared from it before but it sure is a interesting plant. Growth rate 1 metre a day under optimal conditions i believe?

My initial idea was to see if in a future update it can be made a subsystem of some sort, as it seems the plant not only takes over houses but pretty much anything that crosses its path. What i was thinking of was perhaps a extra noise layer that defines patches where this kudzu takes over.

Got to figure out some system so it doesnt become to complex, yet allows the kudzu to grow over several objects like walls, roofs, trees etc.

Aye, it will eat pretty much anything. I reckon if a zombie stood in it for a day or two, it'd probably grow over the zombie, too. That'd be pretty terrifying- walk into a field of kudzu and all of a sudden there're moss monsters everywhere.

Yeah, if left unchecked, all of us here in the South would be overrun by kudzu.  Not as prominent in Kentucky as it is in the deep South but I imaqine that after a week or two you would definately notice it taking over...

Hello hello, a very small update...

With some good news, the code is pretty much ready for a alpha version.

The bad news, many of the sprites are not :P

50% of them are crappy quick drawings, so the coming days im hoping to replace them with atleast somewhat decent looking ones (those replacements will not be final either, but will function as placeholders untill proper sprites are designed).

The trees already got a little rework, in this image i spawned both old and the new trees which have more contrast and better seasonal colors i think:

ZYGN7Xw.gif

Again its a little experimentating with their base colors, old and new basecolors:

7e5adfebda59c1d2118325e5343e8ac1.pngc27c6719f1b926ece518492e43bd6517.png

Most stuff from previous versions has been reintroduced as well, such as the vines and cracks on walls, and street detoriation, as you can see in the animated gif the majority of those still have really crappy sprites :D

P.s. i also had a little chat with Myth, who is from Kentucky and he gave some very detailed info about local plantlife etc, so were hoping to add plants in future that actually grow in the region.

(Late reply)

Oh i see you're startin' to get erosions plus seasons mod up?

Sure you'll have a big chance to make this into the vannila game :D

Love the look of it all, I can't wait for this. It is so tantalizing to watch the world decay, I'd just like to ask if it is at all possible to make corpses decay into skeletons over time? (AoE 1 style)

I always found it weird that in almost no zombie movie or game you get skeletons strewn around, it's always somewhat missing or vastly understated.

Keep up the great work guys, I am rooting for you from afar.

Thank you for all the nice comments and feedback everyone :) very much appreciated

I reckon if a zombie stood in it for a day or two, it'd probably grow over the zombie, too. That'd be pretty terrifying- walk into a field of kudzu and all of a sudden there're moss monsters everywhere.

Dont know how feasable that is, as i havent checked any of the zombie code so far, but i definatly put the idea in a todo list so i will check it out at a later time.
Much like the walkers in walking dead that got trapped in quicksand and what not. Would also be cool if they get a chance to break loose from the kudzu and come after you :P

I'd just like to ask if it is at all possible to make corpses decay into skeletons over time? (AoE 1 style)

Yes, that is certainly possible :) Just as the trees have stages of growth, those stages can also be applied to a corpse so it slowly decays over time and turns into a skeleton. Could be applied to other objects as well that have some form of growth or decay.

Its also in the todo list to add corpses (or even piles of them) over time, especially in the urban areas.

Could be applied to other objects as well that have some form of growth or decay.

Its also in the todo list to add corpses (or even piles of them) over time, especially in the urban areas.

So in the future we might not only see overgrown streets but maybe also "decayed" indoor? Would be cool to see that nature also takes over the kitchen and bedroom in the form of for example fungi, dirt and maybe some random trash.

So in the future we might not only see overgrown streets but maybe also "decayed" indoor? Would be cool to see that nature also takes over the kitchen and bedroom in the form of for example fungi, dirt and maybe some random trash.

yes, indoors could be added as a "region" in the system... the only reason ive steered away from it so far is because im unsure how this will affect player build stuff, havent looked into that yet.

Also, if nothing goes wrong ill be posting a alpha version within 24 hours from this post :P

Got some code cleaning up to do, perhaps a little documentation on how to use some stuff, then ill put it up for testing.

Here some screens from the latest build (with reworked grasses):

cbfcee1d4fb1300cac02bcd7677cd437.png

1fa925721442b05c8053c638ea7ff908.png

Download link added to main post!

But dont get to excited yet, as mentioned in the supplied download description its a alpha and by no means stable/perfect.

That being said, i hope you'll enjoy taking a peek at the system as is.

Let me know how its doing performance wise on your machine, very curious about that :)

Also, thanks for the serenade Dr_cox! :D

yes, indoors could be added as a "region" in the system... the only reason ive steered away from it so far is because im unsure how this will affect player build stuff, havent looked into that yet.

Also, if nothing goes wrong ill be posting a alpha version within 24 hours from this post :P

Got some code cleaning up to do, perhaps a little documentation on how to use some stuff, then ill put it up for testing.

Here some screens from the latest build (with reworked grasses):

cbfcee1d4fb1300cac02bcd7677cd437.png

1fa925721442b05c8053c638ea7ff908.png

wow!

I'm gonna give this a try ! Thank you for releasing an alpha I've been looking towards this mod - didn't we all :)

feedback EDIT : Waaouw, I didn't recognize my home. Those vines on my wooden walls, beautiful :wub:

Those trees on my plants, as beautiful but not pratical; it may be because I loaded an advanced save, I'll try with a new game start to see if trees still grow on plants (or (special) objects).

Perfomance wise, everything is fine even in demo mode, nice job. I'd have to explore more terrain to see the long term impact.

Trying the mod now. Allthough i just started up the game i noticed my moody got all chilly. Is the startingdate (time of year) different with the mod? Or is it just my luck, because i am cold with no sweather in the house :P.

But really man, the snow!! I instantly felt the urge to go outside and make myself a snow angle, a snowman or..... snow bunker! i need a real life winter :blush: