Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't even effect fps except possibly when update chunks. As far as the tiles go, they'll be essentially just like the tiles that are always there as far as performance goes.

Where'd everybody run off to? Hellooooo?

Keep in mind it's the holidays so people have likely been busy with their own stuff.  Remember that modding is a hobby =D

Still here, infact i have been working on several things past week.

Some stuff that got added/improved:

• Themes, all the objects and categories are defined in a theme file, so anyone can modify or make their own theme from scratch. Categories (example trees) are class objects where behaviour of the objects it governs is defined, one can also make custom versions of these and add them in a theme file.
  • New growth model, all natural stuff like trees, bushes, grass etc can now have proper stages, so it starts as sapling, small tree etc. Opposed to the old model where grass changed to bush, changed to tree etc.
  • New spawn chance method (experimental)
  • And lastly something else...

This "something else" evolved from Rathlord's suggestion of snow, which i was not planning to implement yet but it became too tempting not to try :D

So i tried to figure out a system to do this. And thanks to Lemmy who pointed me in the right direction how to do the sprite changes effectivly a whole new world opened up.

So heres a full year seasonal cycle wip vid:

So yea, still a wip, not completly satisfied about all colors yet, and it only has a few different sprites that i kinda butchered togheter with nifty copy pasta for the most part. Take it as a proof of concept ;p.

(if you go fullscreen, you can see trees drop and gain leaves in autumn/spring, plants can now also have blooming etc)

This sounds like an amazing idea, but sadly also sounds like an FPS killer.

That shouldnt be too bad, what Rathlord said pretty much sums it up.

Regards,

Turbo

This is genuinely incredibly awesome to see. Only thing I would love to see added is leaves changing color in autumn, but I am well aware that spriting is a lot of work.

I have to say again that this is really brilliant. I know I already said it in the starting paragraph, but it is worth repeating.

Merci guys,

and to answer these questions:

This is genuinely incredibly awesome to see. Only thing I would love to see added is leaves changing color in autumn, but I am well aware that spriting is a lot of work.

I have to say again that this is really brilliant. I know I already said it in the starting paragraph, but it is worth repeating.

I am going to flip my shit if this mod doesn't get into vanilla game in the end.

Also, isn't it possible to do the "Autumn color changing" using the color codes the same way it works with clothes in inventory at the moment? 

Heres a image to illustrate a little how it works atm:

3cdc22afa1821c7bf5ed974a96b46be7.png

top part the raw images, and the bottom part same image with a overlay (tintmod).

it was not clearly visible in the video as it runs a bit fast, but if you look closely youll see some trees change leave colors in autumn, in fact, the sprites that have a season color change color each day :P but the change is so gradual you wont notice from day to day.

The way it works is with a customized lua table that can take 1 to 12 colors, each color you add represents a month, when the table gets finalized the table lerps the colors you put in to fill in the blanc months. Then during a day change, the current months color gets lerped with the next month with current day of the month as step value. You can bind one or more sprites to such a table so that sprite gets its tintmod set when the table color changes.

For objects that require only a part to be colored, like trees, the trunk is split from the foliage, the foliage is added to the tree object as a childsprite. Thanks to lemmy's tip the seasonal changing of leaves etc was quite simple to do as they are animations set to and played on a particular month.

Ive also been experimenting with the greyscale sprite colors a bit, first i just greyscaled the image and applied a tintmod (as seen in the crossed out sprite) but that didnt reap great results, so i now have some greyscale/blending mix that produces a better result, still not perfect imo, but atleast theres more of the original sprite's detail coming through.

Regards,

Turbo

OMG! I have to admit I never really looked into that thread because I thought the mod will include earthquakes to the game (misunderstood the threadtitle) but today I thought I should risk it.

My mind is totally blown away! Awesome mod and can´t wait till it´s out.

But I´m curious what the planned engine-change in the future will do to this mod.

But I´m curious what the planned engine-change in the future will do to this mod.

That depends, if the new engine retains much of the behaviour of the current one it will be simply a matter of porting the mod.

If theres many behavioural changes then some erosion stuff will probably break and will need inspection + fixing.

Eitherway should be doable, as long as theres no critical functionallity disappearing in new engine :P.

Otherwise theres always this:

princess_tiara_pillow_pink_background-r8

On which i can cry my many tears

Hey mate, brilliant looking mod. One thing, when watching the video(I know its a WIP), and it probably wouldnt be noticed outside of a timelapse. Are you going to add a random element to when the trees grow? so instead of .. all trees in a chunk growing at the same stage, each tile has a random erosion-growth stage, and it when the update occurs, one tree out of the lot will grow etc etc.

Cant wait to see this fully completed, will bring a whole new level of immersion to an already incredible experience.

Hey mate, brilliant looking mod. One thing, when watching the video(I know its a WIP), and it probably wouldnt be noticed outside of a timelapse. Are you going to add a random element to when the trees grow? so instead of .. all trees in a chunk growing at the same stage, each tile has a random erosion-growth stage, and it when the update occurs, one tree out of the lot will grow etc etc.

Cant wait to see this fully completed, will bring a whole new level of immersion to an already incredible experience.

Eya, the growth of objects will be sporadic like you mentioned, that is the actual growth from small, bigger etc (thats all based on the intensity of their tile). What youve seen is probably the leaves growing back in springtime, which will happen during night, and indeed one morning youll wake up and all trees have leaves :P

Technically its much more pleasant to do it this way. What could be an option is to have different kinds of plants change leaves on a different date, so its a little less "all-at-once", i will look into that later as i agree with you that its indeed a bit odd and has been a little thorn in my eye as well :).