Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

Thanks for the kind replies everyone, very much appreciated. Also apologies for my belated response, have been a bit busy with something.

To reply on a few questions:

It would be nice if you could make zombie corpses dissapeer over time.

Yes, this has been suggested a few times i think. For the next version this should be feasable, the idea would be to rather then have them just dissappear, to have them slowly rot away till theres only some leather and bones left :).

First post after finally registering. Just wanted to say a massive well done for such an incredible mod. Don't get me wrong the base Zomboid experience is already well on its way to being something truly special, but this adds the extra layer of atmosphere that has kept me engrossed in my save longer than ever before.

Setting up base in a small cottage in the North of West Point at the start of winter, the sense of progression and the passing of time as nature spreads around me has been so engaging to see as I play the game. Watching vines creep up the side of my house alongside the barricades. Waking up freezing and depressed in the middle of Winter as the rain poured on the icy streets outside. That genuine feeling of hope after I awoke to find the snow gone revealing the green of the trees and the singing of the birds.

Hope it can be integrated into the base game some day and keep up the fantastic work!

Welcome to the forums! And thanks for sharing, seeing people enjoy it has been very motivational :) Also who knows, maybe some day ^^

Can I make the suggestion that when you put it out for MP you could have it so we can pick that things already look beaten up? In case our world is like....oooooh say, three years old?

This is possibly already if you want to, you can set it in:

C:\Users\<user>\Zomboid\mods\Erosion\media\lua\client\Erosion\themes\ThemeErosion.lua

For multiplayer one should eventually be able to set if for a server as well yes.

This fantastic mod doesn't want to work for me. I install it as the readme says exactly and when I want to run the game it gets to the point when it says "Loading lua" and then it closes. I get this in error log:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Any help?

This seems to be the same problem Twiggy encountered on his stream before the weekend. Could you try letting zomboid update via steam, then reinstall the 'zombie' folder from the mods zip file? Let me know if this didnt resolve it.

using this with the Dreadwood map is interesting.

i set the month for December to get the snow effect, but the second you cross into the dreadwood map the snow on the ground disappears. but it is still in the trees.

Twiggy actually tested Bedford this weekend and showed me some simular visual problems:

80b13b255cfee325691b3fc18f5840f3.png

Some things that could potentially cause this are:

- The brightest grasstiles, these never get snow, in vanilla this creates patches of grass between snowcovered areas.

- Usage of custom or outdated grasstiles not recognized by erosion.

- Indoor/outdoor regions not properly set.

In case of the screenshot it seems to be one of the latter 2 as theres no growth either surrounding the houses shown. Besides that, the system should run fine on any custom map.

For the next version i will install a couple custom maps and see if i can figure out a way to support them properly.

That being said, during experimenting with mp a funny little thing was conceived that grew a bit of proportion, so now its turning out to be a mod that Nasko and i have been working on the past week. Not sure yet when, but it will pop up somewhere on the forums one of these days :P.

Regards,

Turbo

This seems to be the same problem Twiggy encountered on his stream before the weekend. Could you try letting zomboid update via steam, then reinstall the 'zombie' folder from the mods zip file? Let me know if this didnt resolve it.

I've deleted all local content through steam and all files in USER directory, reinstalled the game and installed your mod again - still no effect :(

Thanks for the kind replies everyone, very much appreciated. Also apologies for my belated response, have been a bit busy with something.

To reply on a few questions:

It would be nice if you could make zombie corpses dissapeer over time.

Yes, this has been suggested a few times i think. For the next version this should be feasable, the idea would be to rather then have them just dissappear, to have them slowly rot away till theres only some leather and bones left :).

First post after finally registering. Just wanted to say a massive well done for such an incredible mod. Don't get me wrong the base Zomboid experience is already well on its way to being something truly special, but this adds the extra layer of atmosphere that has kept me engrossed in my save longer than ever before.

Setting up base in a small cottage in the North of West Point at the start of winter, the sense of progression and the passing of time as nature spreads around me has been so engaging to see as I play the game. Watching vines creep up the side of my house alongside the barricades. Waking up freezing and depressed in the middle of Winter as the rain poured on the icy streets outside. That genuine feeling of hope after I awoke to find the snow gone revealing the green of the trees and the singing of the birds.

Hope it can be integrated into the base game some day and keep up the fantastic work!

Welcome to the forums! And thanks for sharing, seeing people enjoy it has been very motivational :) Also who knows, maybe some day ^^

Can I make the suggestion that when you put it out for MP you could have it so we can pick that things already look beaten up? In case our world is like....oooooh say, three years old?

This is possibly already if you want to, you can set it in:

C:\Users\<user>\Zomboid\mods\Erosion\media\lua\client\Erosion\themes\ThemeErosion.lua

For multiplayer one should eventually be able to set if for a server as well yes.

This fantastic mod doesn't want to work for me. I install it as the readme says exactly and when I want to run the game it gets to the point when it says "Loading lua" and then it closes. I get this in error log:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Any help?

using this with the Dreadwood map is interesting.

i set the month for December to get the snow effect, but the second you cross into the dreadwood map the snow on the ground disappears. but it is still in the trees.

Twiggy actually tested Bedford this weekend and showed me some simular visual problems:

80b13b255cfee325691b3fc18f5840f3.png

Some things that could potentially cause this are:

- The brightest grasstiles, these never get snow, in vanilla this creates patches of grass between snowcovered areas.

- Usage of custom or outdated grasstiles not recognized by erosion.

- Indoor/outdoor regions not properly set.

In case of the screenshot it seems to be one of the latter 2 as theres no growth either surrounding the houses shown. Besides that, the system should run fine on any custom map.

For the next version i will install a couple custom maps and see if i can figure out a way to support them properly.

That being said, during experimenting with mp a funny little thing was conceived that grew a bit of proportion, so now its turning out to be a mod that Nasko and i have been working on the past week. Not sure yet when, but it will pop up somewhere on the forums one of these days :P.

Regards,

Turbo

Cool!

I'm getting this error, and the game will just hang at the loading screen when trying to boot up a world....post-7324-0-70429500-1401175073_thumb.jp

I tried reinstalling just the mod, reupdating the game and then reinstalling the mod, and completely wiping the game and reinstalling everything.

I'm getting this error, and the game will just hang at the loading screen when trying to boot up a world....attachicon.giferror.jpg

I tried reinstalling just the mod, reupdating the game and then reinstalling the mod, and completely wiping the game and reinstalling everything.

Oke, did exactly the same here, but was unable to reproduce that error, seems to run fine.

Just to be 100% sure, you are using the download link from here ?

This mod. With multiplayer support when it comes. And did... did I see snow :shock: ? Awesome. Are there also snowstorms and winter related stuff such planned (ice, more cold weather, voice of stepping on snow etc)?

Oke, did exactly the same here, but was unable to reproduce that error, seems to run fine.

Just to be 100% sure, you are using the download link from here ?

Yep.  I had it working a month or so ago, so I just assumed it was the Steam thing and redownloaded it.  I also tried with the old one when that didn't work.

I'm using both Dreadwood and Bedford Falls, could either of those be the issue?  I saw that others had used them, but I thought they just didn't appear correctly graphically.  I've also got a couple of other mods (dry towels, useful bleach, dried fruit, and hide bodies), but it all plays well together until I try to throw erosion back in.

Can't wait for this to be complete.

Only thing I'm wondering is; how will this mod handle the effects of erosion and decay? Obviously the game's own length is pretty long for each day, and a 'nature takeover' would need months, if not years to occur in full. I'm just worried either the effects will be exaggerated or barely visible due to how long the game can last in terms of how long it'd actually take such erosion to occur.

Only thing I'm wondering is; how will this mod handle the effects of erosion and decay? Obviously the game's own length is pretty long for each day, and a 'nature takeover' would need months, if not years to occur in full. I'm just worried either the effects will be exaggerated or barely visible due to how long the game can last in terms of how long it'd actually take such erosion to occur.

You can set the world age in C:\Users\<user>\Zomboid\mods\Erosion\media\lua\client\Erosion\themes\ThemeErosion.lua and change the 'erosion   level,' to the amount of days you want to have passed.

turbotutone, some suggestions and thoughts:

1) Sickle must loose condition when used.

2) Another recipe for sickle: (Nail x 2) + Hammer (keep) + Kitchen Knife + Sturdy Stick. It will be something like this or this. This sickle must be harder than sickle with duct tape.

3) In real life I use Shovel to remove bushes because of it's roots.

4) In real life removed bushes can be used as fuel to a fire.

Well currently the game ages at a slow rate, a realistic rate. It is actually intended to be somewhat subtle and unnoticed. However, with time and absense a sense of dereliction does become quite apparent when your character revisits a locale after some in-game time. Also remember that as one character dies and you continue with the world the world also continues to age :)

And as the post by William Carver states, it is entirely possible to age your world as you like, I think you can even adjust the tempo of decay if I am not mistaken.

I'm getting this error, and the game will just hang at the loading screen when trying to boot up a world....attachicon.giferror.jpg

This problem has been resolved via pm, for sake of completeness if someone else runs into it: turns out steam was set to another beta build by accident.

Lets start by saying that currently its clearly overexxagerated, the full decay in 100 days. This current version should be considered more a sort of proof of concept rather then finished product.

For the next version quite a few parts of system will get overhauls, this includes the decay timer and the systems tied to it. As far as plant overgrowth goes, youd be suprised how fast that can actually happen btw, in my garden for instance there was sapplings growing last spring, one year later they are between 2 and 3 meters tall. Some bushes that grew between the path in the backyard same thing, also trimmed them down completly before winter, after one spring they are full blown volatile again :P Other stuff like a tree maturing or roads cracking up, that probably takes a longer time.

Anyways, the goal is for survival mode to have a setting that is close to realism (with perhaps a few small consessions here and there in favor of gameplay), for sandbox one should be able to tweak it to anything desired.

turbotutone, some suggestions and thoughts:

1) Sickle must loose condition when used.

2) Another recipe for sickle: (Nail x 2) + Hammer (keep) + Kitchen Knife + Sturdy Stick. It will be something like this or this. This sickle must be harder than sickle with duct tape.

3) In real life I use Shovel to remove bushes because of it's roots.

4) In real life removed bushes can be used as fuel to a fire.

I agree with your points, to be honoust the sickle was pretty much scrapped togheter quickly just to provide the functionality that was requested many times. Next version should include more proper tools that break down and stuff.

Also the shovel functionality will be included as well, in fact what i wanted to add was the ability to be able to dig out bushes and small tree sapplings so you can replant them (to cover up your base for example) i guess making them a valid fuel shouldnt be much of a problem either.

Thanks again for all your help.  Like I said, I felt like a total idiot when I realized that.

np at all, these things happen to me often as well :D

Any way to use this mod in sandbox mode?

yes, it should work in sandbox right away... is stuff not showing up for you? if the answer to that is yes, could you perhaps post a console log? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooo, when Multiplayer comes out... 

I just gotta say your awesome for making this mod man, you've been doing a damn fine job.

Thanks man, very much appreciated :)

I installed the mod does it work correctly with b27?

the mod should work with b27, only the "zombie" directory with the class files is no longer needed for install, in fact it should not be copied for b27.

ive uploaded a new package for b27 (basically old package without the zombie dir)

download link

let me know if theres any problems :)

Thanks for the mod!

Absolutely fantastic and adds a lot of atmosphere after some time in the game, especially when you go to explore the other city.

Btw when i installed it its only possible to start out in winter? Even lf i select other months i still start at December

Is the b27 version of erosion just a ported version to the newest builds, or are there new updates/sprites etc? If so, I'd very much like the screenshot of a newest version (if it uses new sprites/color scheme or some new way of spawning of course) in action.

Also, I haven't played the new version yet, but the problem I've had when running it earlier were the vines that grow on walls - You can't see through them like you can see through walls, and sometimes it creates trouble navigating indoors when the house is fully covered in vines from outside. Also, the vines that grow on north/northwestern parts of the walls shouldn't be shown IMO, since the other side is always "covered" by the wall in this isometric perspective, and it isn't necessary to see the vines on the other side, unless you'll be able to collect/cut vines in the future, or they become a problem (for example not being able to climb through windows because of the vines).

Also, I'm not sure if it's fixed now, but in the last version you weren't able to cut trees that were spawned with the mod (although the trees that were there originally can be cut just fine). It was also problematic finding and clicking on your crops when the grass grew over them.