Erosion - Nature takes over

turbotutone

• 2 weeks later...

Any clues about making the trees spawn choppable? It's not as simple as setting IsoObjectType.tree in NatureTrees.lua, is it? (I dug around the files for a while, but ultimately got in too deep for my own level of knowledge).

Any clues about making the trees spawn choppable? It's not as simple as setting IsoObjectType.tree in NatureTrees.lua, is it? (I dug around the files for a while, but ultimately got in too deep for my own level of knowledge).

sadly no its not easy like that, the images in that version dont have a correct mask for mouseclick detection, the new version will have (has) that fixed.

i fixed it in one of the local builds where i revised some part of the sprite loading and subsequent handling, however that one isnt suitable for uploading as it has some major flaws and i discontinued working on it in favor of a mp compatible version which is still a wip atm.

Ah well. I'm glad you're still working on this! It really is a fantastic mod with a really impressive feature list. As others have said: it's definitely something they should eventually include in the official game, because it makes total sense and adds a much-needed dynamic layer to the world, which is otherwise pretty static (apart from the corpses piling up and things the player builds/destroys).

Happy coding! :D

So maybe i lied a little when i said i wouldnt continue this version before mp, however i wasnt sure yet at the time if the fix would work. But, it seemed it did, and it seems the version is stable :D

To be clear: This is a SP only build that works with PZ build 26, MP is under construction still.

Many kuddos to the following people:
- RJ & Lemmy, for adding a event that was crucial to fixing that dreaded reload bug!
- EnigmaGrey, for helping me out with decompile/recompile of java.
- RoboMat, for allowing me to hack and slash parts from his lockpicking mod to quickly create the Sickle.

And ofcourse Sir Twiggy! for having the balls to live test the mod without it being properly tested :D
For those of you who missed out on, his last attempt of 100 days Erosion ended prematurly due to a big bug i failed to catch before releasing.

Check out his channel if you havent already:
http://www.twitch.tv/sirtwiggy/

Hes currently on a challenge to survive atleast a 100 days with Erosion mod enabled, Part II.

Download:

Erosion Alpha v0.2 [sP-ONLY][PZ BUILD 26]

* when activating the mod in the menu, make sure you restart your game once afterwards.

Changelog v0.2:
- Added, Thutzor sprites! Loads of winter stuff (roofs, snowed under vanilla objects), new bushes, more vines etc
- Added, small background for time controls (better visible with snow)
- Changed, a bunch of sprites (grass, small trees)
- Changed, a bunch of stuff in seasonal color code.
- Fixed, Erosion added trees can now be cut (with regular tools)
- Fixed, All grass, and erosion bushes can be cut with new item: Improv Sickle (see below for recipe)
- Fixed, the dreaded bug that firked up the world on reload.
- Fixed, bug that would reset the time to december on reload.

Possibly other things, but it seems i accidentally deleted my changelog file, if i remember more ill add later :P

Improv sicke recipe

You need
2ae5759d8541fe15f8ccb7037544a31a.png
Which will create:

333d56190022511e767dfc6bf559cffb.png

With the sickle in your inventory you can rightclick grass and some bushes to cut them.
*Note you have to click on pixels of the grass/bush for it to work.

Some screens @ full erosion:

summer

517eac41a99aa6a5c381b585441b997e.png

late summer

fd0129d0f5a15c4db0e786ac69a067c5.png

winter
2c441415e4722b5a1fb3f915d9530451.png

P.s. will update main post asap, its a mess and outdated with infos.

Admittedly it's been a few days since I played, but I can't seem to chop down *any* trees now? I have an axe equipped in both hands and am right-clicking the base of the trees. They are snow-covered.

[Edit: Hitting them like a melee attack works, I just found. But I distinctly remember there being a "chop down tree" option? Or maybe I'm going crazy? xD]

Also, I started this new game in the month of May (to match rl) but I think it still started me in December, because... snow. :P

Maybe I installed an old version? But I have the Improv Sickle in my recipe list, so I'm pretty sure I grabbed the correct mod version.

This is also the first version of Erosion I have ever installed, so no chance of old files conflicting.

Eya, a quick reply as im about to leave the door.

Admittedly it's been a few days since I played, but I can't seem to chop down *any* trees now? I have an axe equipped in both hands and am right-clicking the base of the trees. They are snow-covered.

What i can think of top of my head:

- Are you sure it are trees and not small bushes? (if sickle works on them its bush)

- Make sure the 'zombie' folder contained in mod download is installed correctly.

- When activating the game in menu, make sure the game is restarted. If thats not done, masks dont get intialized properly which can cause this to happen.

- If both above are ok, it should work, if not try making new map quickly just in case and see if you can chop there.

Heres a recipe quickly for convience if you have to test new map:

recipe Craft Axe	{	   keep Shoes,	   Result:Axe,	   Time:20.0,	}

add to:

ProjectZomboid\media\scripts\recipes.txt

Hope this helps.

Let me know if the problem still persists after this and ill look into it more thoroughly when back tonight.

Regards,

Turbo

First post after finally registering. Just wanted to say a massive well done for such an incredible mod. Don't get me wrong the base Zomboid experience is already well on its way to being something truly special, but this adds the extra layer of atmosphere that has kept me engrossed in my save longer than ever before.

Setting up base in a small cottage in the North of West Point at the start of winter, the sense of progression and the passing of time as nature spreads around me has been so engaging to see as I play the game. Watching vines creep up the side of my house alongside the barricades. Waking up freezing and depressed in the middle of Winter as the rain poured on the icy streets outside. That genuine feeling of hope after I awoke to find the snow gone revealing the green of the trees and the singing of the birds.

Hope it can be integrated into the base game some day and keep up the fantastic work!

been watching Twiggy play with this on his 100 day challenge, in fact he just broke his record of 108 day's as i write this, and i must say the effect this has on the game is astounding. great work on this, now to try it out on my own game

This fantastic mod doesn't want to work for me. I install it as the readme says exactly and when I want to run the game it gets to the point when it says "Loading lua" and then it closes. I get this in error log:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Any help?

using this with the Dreadwood map is interesting.

i set the month for December to get the snow effect, but the second you cross into the dreadwood map the snow on the ground disappears. but it is still in the trees.