The One Stop Shop for 3D Modeling: From Blender to Zomboid!

Hello and Welcome! Here you will find a concise and comprehensive guide and tutorial of making 3D models for Project Zomboid.

Currently, this will mainly pertain to custom Clothing creation but may include weapon creation in the future. This will present how to create models from scratch with Blender and bringing them into the game. I would like to emphasize that with the right optimization, you can bring any model into Zomboid.

Step 1) Installation and setup

You will need to install the newest version of Blender and Notepad++ for this guide.
Download Blender 2.93 : https://www.blender.org/download/

Some additional tools I recommend having are DirectX Viewer from Microsoft and Fragmotion.
DirectX Viewer helps you view .X files. : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812
1137159602_bandicam2021-06-1900-22-31-087.jpg.8a63a17ce78b0ba93d40b0449fa436b1.jpg
Figure 1 : UI of Direct X Viewer with the Crash Helmet model

Fragmotion greatly helps making Vanilla model retextures: http://www.fragmosoft.com/downloads/index.php

2060996437_bandicam2021-06-1900-32-51-253.thumb.jpg.e23723682cfab2fc17cf5ae106e06fe1.jpg
Figure 2 : View of the Fragmotion UI  with the textured Crash Helmet model

All of these programs are free and fairly simple to get into.

Step 2) Model creation

Project Zomboid supports two file types - X and FBX. There are two types of models that are used within the game, static and skinned. Static models are models that are stationary and initially have no animation attached to it. Skinned models are models that are connected to a character animation bone and exported with an animation.

Some basic knowledge of Blender is required. You have to know how to import, export, and scale models, navigate the UI, zoom in and out, etc. As such, I can not go through every step to make the model in Blender, there are many tutorials on YouTube for many types of models.  Many people use reference images to assist them in the modeling process. Yet, this is not a dedicated Blender tutorial. However, there are a few rules to follow to cater the model to Zomboid levels.

1. Flip Normals when Necessary.
Make sure the face orientations are all blue on the faces you want to be visible.
You can find this tool by hitting the drop-down in the top region of the screen.

bandicam-2021-06-19-00-45-05-321

Figure 3 : Blender viewpoint showing the face orientation mode switch

If any regions are red, that means that the face will be invisible when imported in the game, therefore the normals must be flipped. Flipping the normals are found, normally on the top left region of the screen, in the mesh drop-down. 
BlenderFaces.thumb.png.543fdfc24ba015b2dee2d41bb5cb2efa.png
Figure 4 :  Face Orientation Differences

Flip Red Invisible faces to Blue
Figure 5 :  Blender location of the Flipping Normals switch

2. Optimize Face Amounts. 
A model should have around or less than 3000 faces to not affect game performance. Use the decimator tool to lower the face amounts to meet the low-poly standards of the game. The decimator tool can be found under the modifiers tab. Make sure to apply the change.

1508475618_bandicam2021-06-1902-02-52-858.jpg.21a0eedc2c5adfa112c33cedb882aa24.jpg
Figure 6 : Model example of high face statistics

A model with statistics like this is too large and detailed. It will cause lag to the game. Use the decimate tool to optimize it. 
872699181_bandicam2021-06-1902-00-05-765.jpg.1e3d0f2272b741c2a8b43a201d96ca6c.jpg
Figure 7 : The Modifier tab where the Decimate tool is located

BlenderDecimate.thumb.png.436fabaa14d277293271504fb0ee27cc.png
Figure 8 : Location of the Decimate tool within the modifier tab

179610173_bandicam2021-06-1902-09-51-124.jpg.5ce7d362abaf0629d99581b0abe1a047.jpg
Figure 9 : Decimate tool in use to lower the number of faces

Bring it down to around or below 3000 Faces.
610719289_bandicam2021-06-1902-28-56-955.jpg.2f53ede3d4bbb75b0a94f74cd10d2187.jpg
Figure 10 : Applying the decimate modifier 

Apply the change. 

3. Make neat and versatile UVs.
1964856393_bandicam2021-06-1902-35-43-428.thumb.jpg.7f2f20b9ecd128ae4f101cb840df37fc.jpg
Figure 11 : The UV Editing / UV mapping viewpoint. The left side shows the Face layout. CTRL + A on the right side makes all the faces show up on the left. 
1673999704_bandicam2021-06-1523-58-28-784.jpg.47f63cb77e5777c0c96c19a9e37a7535.jpg
Figure 12 : Stovepipe hat model final product with the text. 

There are a few ways to make your textures, whether the be the standard UV map method or the face paint method. It generally is a good practice to make your UV maps in a clean and organized way, so you may use them later. For instance, a Bad or lazily made UV map may limit your choices when making a car model when you go to designate the masks.

4. Scaling Matters.
Upon your first input of your model, chances are you may come across scaling issues where your model is gigantic compared to everything else.

1699798900_bandicam2021-06-1903-01-50-353.jpg.3feb385bb5b1d8cbc0a692b7b1069829.jpg
Figure 13 : Giant model that needs to be scaled down

I also recommend leaving Blender open and scale and export your model until you are satisfied with it. Models are automatically updated when the game is run, which makes testing for the correct scale fast. 
Here are the export settings I have for models. I typically export to .FBX
313413993_bandicam2021-06-1701-13-19-838.jpg.19cfcde2cdd2babf5a5e031c52f6e7e4.jpg1465216186_bandicam2021-06-1903-13-43-655.thumb.jpg.d289047af0c048d56531d8830273a9b5.jpg

Figure 14 : Scale is set to 1,1,1 on the right side "Object Properties tab"
Figure 15 : Export settings are set to 0.01 to bring the scale down to near ideal levels for Zomboid. You may need to use
the scale tool (hotkey 'S') to add to the effect.

5. Apply Transforms.
Typically speaking, you want to have your model set at the origin point. Pertaining to Weapon models - Have the rear end of your weapon located at the origin point. If you have made any intentional adjustments when it pertains to scaling, translating, or rotating, make sure to apply that by using CTRL + A and clicking apply transforms before exporting your file. 
BlenderApplyTransforms.png.d462cc42c027d577bca77184d4ff29f7.png
Figure 16 : Apply menu brought up by CTRL + A. Note: this can only be brought up in Object mode.

Step 3) Skinned model or not? If not, Export your model and go onto the next step.

When determining if your model should be static or skinned, you have to take a look at your model and decide if it is necessary. Skinned models take use of the game's masking system, which makes things visible/invisible (useful for layering). Don't worry, masking is covered later on in this guide. Typically, all clothing, backpacks, and hair models are skinned models. Hats, however, are typically static. Vehicles (at the moment), weapons, and miscellaneous objects are typically static. Skinned models have their own process of creation. 

1. Align & scale to player models.
To start, you need to import the vanilla player models which were adjusted and tweaked by ThrottleKitty:

1746969446_bandicam2021-06-1903-44-32-848.thumb.jpg.3f387ba34d3073fcee1417ab346954be.jpg
Figure 17 : Cigarette model to be made into a skinned model. ThrottleKitty's reference model is also shown. 

2. Ctrl + A, Apply all Transforms.
BlenderApplyTransforms2.png.22514708958e1984cdadb25bfc07fd15.png
Figure 18 : Apply All Transforms in Object Mode. This will bring the model's orange point to the origin point (0,0,0) . 

Here is what it should look like with the model orange point set to the origin point: 
  bandicam-2021-06-19-03-53-11-223

3. Parent your model to the bone structure.
First Select your model THEN your bone structure (While holding down Shift), Control + P to apply with automatic weights (This step is all in Object mode).
Image of that: 
  bandicam-2021-06-19-08-30-27-341
After doing so, your model should have been merged into the reference model hierarchy of "dummy01".

4. Delete your reference model and the unused bones.
The goal here is to isolate a bone or some bones to link to our model. Select the bones that we want to keep, in this case, it's the head bone Bip01_Head.
Switch to Edit Mode, Select both end spheres of each bone you want and hit Ctrl + I to invert the selection to everything else. Hit Delete and confirm to delete the bones. 

Note! For backpack models for the back, keep and use the two bones Bip01_Backpack &Bip01_Spine1.

Deleting the Reference model:
bandicam-2021-06-19-08-33-59-482
Only Selecting the wanted bone(s):
 bandicam-2021-06-19-08-40-33-086
Selecting every other bone via CTRL+I:
 bandicam-2021-06-19-08-41-26-987
Confirm to delete the bones:
 bandicam-2021-06-19-08-41-41-001
Goal Accomplished: 
ZtwNqtA

5. In your Object Data Properties menu, Remove the vertex groups that you are not using.
Under Vertex groups, hit the  Minus button to remove the vertex groups that you don't need, other than from what you are using. In our case here, we will only keep Bip01_Head.

Navigating to the Object Data Properties Menu:
 bandicam-2021-06-20-17-02-13-048
Removing the unneeded Vertex Groups:
 bandicam-2021-06-20-17-07-02-995

6. Assign the necessary vertex groups to your model.
Hit tab, then "a" to select all, then click the Assign button with that or each vertex group to assign it.
Assigning the vertex group to the model:
 bandicam-2021-06-20-17-15-21-832

From there you are ready to export your model to .FBX with the default export settings and see it in-game. The next step will show how to create your scripts to bring your item into the game.

Step 4)  Creating the clothing item scripts

When creating your mods folder structure, use the main PZ file directory as a reference, replacing MOD_NAME with the name                    of your mod for whatever file used.

1. The next part involves making an addition to the `script.txt` file and importing it into base. You can choose whether or not to have a module name. Making your own module name makes sense only when you are adding a lot of items into the game. Doing so adds an extra layer of organization for your mod items and would make it easier to locate and spawn in the debug menu. 
Here is a script example located in: `\mods\AuthenticZClothing\media\scripts\clothing\PZAZ_clothing_jacket.txt`

Note: The top 5 tags in the following script are used in all of the item scripts (Type, DisplayName, ClothingItem, BodyLocation, and Icon, also Weight). It is worth noting that tags typically can not mix and match on the various types out there. For instance the "LightCone" tag that is used with flashlight items (using the Type=LightSource tag) can not be used with items with the Type=Clothing tag. This is due to how the code regarding item tags is set up. 

Also, keep in mind that there isn't any significance in the order that I state the following tags. I do it this way as a form of grouping for easy and logical testing.
module AuthenticZClothing {
imports {
       Base
  }

bandicam 2021-06-19 05-49-07-134.jpg
Figure 19 : Script entry of a new jacket

item Jacket_Grimes                                /** ClothingItem name **/
       {
       Type = Clothing,
       DisplayName = Rick's Jacket,                 /** This is the name that appears in the inventory menu in-game. **/
       ClothingItem = Jacket_Grimes,              /** This is the name of the XML clothing item that you need to refer to correctly.
       BodyLocation = Jacket,                           /** This refers to Bodylocations.lua which controls the restrictions on                                                                                                   what combinations of clothing  that can be worn. **/
       Icon = JacketRick,                                     /** Inventory icon for the jacket. The sprite is named item_JacketRick in the textures                                                                           folder in the mod directory. **/

2. Connect the script with a new `.xml` clothing item (you refer its name id in its script file)

\AuthenticZClothing\media\clothing\clothingItems` -> `Jacket_Grimes.xml`: bandicam 2021-06-19 06-01-09-611.jpg
Figure 20: The clothing item .XML file for Jacket_Grimes

If you are unsure on what masks you will need with your clothing item, you should refer a similar vanilla item or refer to this graphic which was made by Scavenger:

Mask-IDs  

3. Get a unique GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) by going to https://www.guidgenerator.com/online-guid-generator.aspx, and copy/paste in a new GUID into its respected section (Line 5 in the clothing item, above). All clothing items, including makeup, get their own GUID. You will use this ID code in every `.xml` file that you want to use this clothing item in.

4. Then you also add an addition to the GUID table, a reference file that the game uses for all clothing items. Note: You don't need to add in all of the vanilla assets if you do not intend to have your custom clothing spawn on zombies. If you don't want to, just create a new GUID table with only your asset information in it. 

bandicam 2021-06-19 06-06-12-305.jpg
Figure 21: Jacket GUID table entry found from 'AuthenticZ\media -> fileGuidTable.xml'

Step 5) Testing your Model

Your item should now be able to spawn in-game, via -debug mode. Of course, you got to add distributions to it if you want it to naturally spawn in the world. This guide will not cover adding items to a distributions .lua file until the new distributions created by Baph are implemented in the IWBUMS branch. 

Here is a link to the guide which will instruct you on how to enable debug mode and test your item: 

Possible Issues that you may run across:
1. The item will not appear in the item spawn list, this is probably from you not referencing the clothing item name correctly in the script.

2. The clothing item will appear with a red and white checkerboard texture - that comes from not referencing the texture file correctly in the .XML file.

unknown-1

3. The item will appear in inventory but appears invisible on character - this is probably because it did not get a new GUID table addition OR the reference in the .XML clothing item file is off.

And then, of course, you got to give that clothing item an inventory icon, which you reference in the `/media/textures` file with `item_YourIcon.png`.

4. The item appears in your inventory, but its sprite spawns in a rainbow fashion and the item appears invisible on the character. If you are getting this problem, its an issue with your GUIDs. Your GUID may be referencing two different XML files in which the game freaks out in trying to determine what XML file to use.
  20210628014315-1

Step 6) Ground models
As of 41.56, Project Zomboid added the ability to add an extra model to the item scripts, which pertains to when the item is dropped on the ground, or placed on a table. Here is how to do it. (Images coming soon)
Step 1.  You will need to add an additional tag in your scripts. I usually like adding mine at the bottom of the script. 
Step 2.  You then need to create the reference script that points to the location of your model and texture. Referencing the location of your texture is actually optional for clothing items since the code will default to pulling the texture from your clothingitem.xml. 

Step 7) Extra things to do with 3D models

Presently, there are two main ways to spawn 3D models on zombies: Clothing items and Weapon attachments.

How to make custom clothing appear on zombies (via clothing items)

1. Go to `clothing.xml`, located in `media\clothing`, and take a look at the format of the outfits.
These are outfits that the game designates onto zombies. Making a new one correctly will add it to the game's list of zombie outfits.
bandicam 2021-06-19 06-17-13-154.jpg
Figure 22 : Full outfit of Rick Grimes from Clothing.XML

2. Do note that this would create a *"Male only"* zombie outfit. Replacing the top and bottom cases in a new outfit with a `<m_FemaleOutfits>` and `</m_FemaleOutfits>` will create a female variation. Reuse that GUID for the female variation to have the game recognize both sexes of an outfit - this pairs them. (It won't be exclusive to sex)

3. If you set to spawn a zombie in `ZombieZoneDefinitions.lua` and it is a sex exclusive outfit (Male or Female only), You have to state it as such or the game will try to spawn the other sex, realize that it doesn't exist, then default to choose and spawn a random outfit from its `clothing.xml` list.
Screenshot of Zone example:
  bandicam-2021-06-19-06-30-02-180

4. There are two other files that you can use to customize your zombie outfits - "HairOutfitDefinitions.lua" and "AttachedWeaponDefinitions.lua" which you place later in the following mod directory: '\media\lua\shared\Definitions` - In `HairOutfitDefinitions.lua`, you can designate one specific haircut or a range of haircuts for that zombie outfit. It is recommended that you look at beardStyles.XML and hairStyles.XML which are located in 'media\hairStyles'. 
An addition typically looks like this (taken from AuthenticzZ_HairOutfitDefinitions.lua):
  bandicam-2021-06-19-06-57-35-570

5. In `AttachedWeaponDefinitions.lua`, you can choose what items will spawn attached to the zombie for that outfit.

Final Result of Rick Grimes zombie:
 bandicam-2021-06-20-10-44-39-653

Guides regarding 3D Car models

Thanks a ton to the people that taught and assisted me along the way to learn Blender for Zomboid - DETOX, Maxwell218, PawLow, and Shark!

Edited by AuthenticPeach
Updated content

• AuthenticPeach changed the title to The One Stop Shop for 3D Modeling: From Blender to Zomboid!
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been making a Monster Energy Can in Blender, but I can never get it to position right in the hands and have it be drinked normally.

I used CTRL +A and applied transforms and I scaled it to 0.10 which seems to be a good size but the model always appears behind my character hands. I have no idea why :(

20210718182721_1.jpg

On 7/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, Josko said:

I have been making a Monster Energy Can in Blender, but I can never get it to position right in the hands and have it be drinked normally.

I used CTRL +A and applied transforms and I scaled it to 0.10 which seems to be a good size but the model always appears behind my character hands. I have no idea why :(

20210718182721_1.jpg

I recommend importing the vanilla water bottle or soda can and use that to orientate it correctly. Make sure the can is at the main origin point. 

• 2 months later...

Okay, I'm feeling like I've reached a brick wall of my own knowledge & need to reach out as I'm sure I'm overlooking some tick box or simple solution.
Imported 2 fbx items to blender; a box & a book , moved to where I want them, positioned correctly on world origin to avoid weirdness , UV unwrapped to perfection, exported all selected objects, opened the result in 3Dviewer & all the objects are in the correct place, great!
Add the file to where it's needed annnnnd only a single object (usually the book) from the fbx file is showing in game?
I've tried exporting as a selected group, to join all the objects as a single Mesh, to add all verts to a single active group, I can't think of anything else to try. My biggest issue is that the exported mesh looks fine in 3dViewer so it's got to be some aspect of PZ loading the mesh? Sometimes the visible object flips to the box, at one point I was convinced it was whichever mesh was 'active' but that was a dead end too.
I know it's nothing to do with disconnected mesh's as a lot of in game objects have that (bacon for example) I just..... need some ideas what I'm missing? Please.... I probably also need sleep, or caffeine or both

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you for this guide.

I wanted to add a new item to the game but only use an alternate texture with an existing game model and was able to follow your guide to find my solution.  I copied three existing bag xml files from the "\media\clothing\clothingItems" folder and renamed them to my new items with new GUIDs.   Then I referenced my new art texture file in the xml but left the existing game model.  Then in my item description referenced my new texture xml instead of the original game file.

Now if I had time to really learn Blender I'd even attempt to make my own model.  :)

Thank You!

On 6/19/2021 at 4:07 AM, AuthenticPeach said:

Note: You don't need to add in all of the vanilla assets if you do not intend to have your custom clothing spawn on zombies. If you don't want to, just create a new GUID table with only your asset information in it.

Can someone explain this? I want to have my clothes spawn on zombies but dont know the clothing spawning mechanics. Also great guide, everything works but idk how to test this one part

On 6/19/2021 at 4:07 AM, AuthenticPeach said:

Figure 11 : The UV Editing / UV mapping viewpoint. The left side shows the Face layout. CTRL + A on the right side makes all the faces show up on the left. 

how does the UV mapping work for effects like blood? Im trying to texture but I keep reading that it has to follow patterns, yet I look at texture files and they are full images (like the crash helmets)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all.
I ran into a problem and took a long time to solve it. Decided to write it here, suddenly someone will come in handy.
When we're scripting an item, it's very good to add the following structure so that it doesn't conflict with other mods.

module YourModName

{

imports {

Base

}

}

In such a case, when you specify a WorldStaticModel item parameter, you must specify your model in the format YourModName.YourModel.

For example.

module Astaroth

WorldStaticModel = Astaroth.Asta,

Perhaps this is obvious, but I'm stuck at this point for about 2 days) I hope this helps someone)

PS Thank you for creating this guide, it's much easier to get into the study of the 3d editor and the diversity of your game with it)

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, sullivvnn said:

do you have a updated link to the character models?

What's wrong with links? I just re-downloaded the character models with bones from the links provided.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 1:21 PM, AuthenticPeach said:

I recommend importing the vanilla water bottle or soda can and use that to orientate it correctly. Make sure the can is at the main origin point. 

What is the correct scale for importing/exporting things with blender?

the issue i have is when i import anything its scale gets all messed up on import, even models i have made exported, tweaked until i got them working the correct size i have later imported and they were scaled smaller than the original model.

Edited by Xyberviri

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 4:54 AM, Xyberviri said:

What is the correct scale for importing/exporting things with blender?

i set scale in blender export to 0.3. 

But most often the model will need to be customized additionally. This can be done while in the game. Put the model on the floor and change the size in the blender. After export, it will change inside the game. Keep doing this until you get a result that suits you.

It is also possible to set the scale in models.txt. Just add scale x.x after your model and texture path.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep running into this problem 

I’m new to blender but I’m dying to add my own models to the game 

I’m trying to add a days gone style clothing to the game 

but whenever I import into the game the clothing model Is above the character 

the model is there but it’s like floating lol 

Am I messing something up in blender?

11 hours ago, SiliasFox said:

I keep running into this problem 

I’m new to blender but I’m dying to add my own models to the game 

I’m trying to add a days gone style clothing to the game 

but whenever I import into the game the clothing model Is above the character 

the model is there but it’s like floating lol 

Am I messing something up in blender?

are you setting the origin point of your model as required by the game? (don't know much about modding / importing, but I know my way around blender)

• 4 months later...

Are there any resources out there for updated methods? Because while most of this got me started, some things I'm having major issues with. Like for instance with the WorldStaticModels, the game now supports 3D models being placed and dropped in the world as opposed to icons, but even when I follow the games directory file setup no matter what I do I can't get my item to show up in game (Dropped/Placed) as the specified WorldStaticModel 3D model, it only shows as the inventory Icon.png . Obviously people out there are making mods that are working with the 3D placed items yet I can't make it work even when I match their entire setup.

**RESOLVED**

And for anyone who may be experiencing this same problem, you have to create a script text file in your Scripts folder, naming convention is unimportant though I'd name it something like WorldItems_MyModName or something, and it should look something like this

module Base
{

model YourItem_Ground
    {
        mesh = WorldItems/YourItem_Ground,
        texture = Clothes/YourItem_Texure,
        scale = 0.01,
    }
}

"YourItem_Ground" referencing your items .FBX or .X file for the ground/worldstatic model

and "YourItem_Texture" referencing that items respective .png texture file. 

Note of course that if any of your files are found in different folders you have to target those, for instance if you had a bag texture file in the textures/Clothes/Bag folder then your code should reflect that, written as Texture = Clothes/Bag/YourItem_Texture

The scale you may have to mess around with in order to get the size of your model right.

Hope this helps someone

Edited by ANJ_

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Following this guide I have been having extreme troubles with downloading the DirectX Viewer, what other methods might help with viewing .X models? Fragmotion has a shady feel to it, when I searched it up and clicked on it I was redirected to a page for buying pills. I really want to get into making new clothing for Project Zomboid, and I'm really passionate about the game but being so new to modding it I feel at a loss. Thank you in advance to whoever might be able to help me with this conundrum.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I try to bound custom player model to a rig and it happens (screenshot). I work in blender and know about its problems with bones, but I get same result in 3d max aswell. (but im absolute 0 at max). I even tried make Y-up on export. I tried ingame armature (it's broken ofc). I tried rig from someone's blender project (same result). I remade armature from scratch - same result. Every time I replace stock model with other one or join a head with bool tool - it brokes. I miss something but I have no idea what to google alredy.

PS Ive been struggling for a week already pls help
PPS I use furry mod cuz it allows me to use custom player model instead of changing every humanoid in a game

Screenshot_1.png

• 1 month later...
Hello,
I have a small project of mine to make animations for zombies, I'm currently in the creation of those animations but I need to export them from Blender in DirectX files .x format.
Anyone knows some about making animations for Project Zomboid and how I can export those animations in the right format from Blender please ?