Random mobile zombie herds

thansen1983

Hello,

When I settle down somewhere and build myself a shelter. I usually clear the sorrounding area for zombies. And I get the impression that I never meet any more zombies at that location.

What I would like to see in this game is random mobile zombie herds.

- A pack of somewhere between 10 and 200 zombies

- Entering at the edge of the map.

- Perhaps every 3-7 days

- Slowly walking across the map and exiting at the other side.

- Or perhaps stopping at a random spot in town.

This is an idea I got from the series, "The Walking Dead", where they have similar herds in different sizes that move over large distances.

This would mean that no matter where you build your shelter, you could never feel completely safe.

And no matter how many times you had visited an area, you could never be 100% sure there were no zombies there.

Please let me know if this idea has been posted before. Or if its already something similar in the game that I havent noticed yet. And let me know what you guys think about it! :-)

post-4996-0-21943900-1385717885_thumb.pn

Large (semi static) hoards used to be in the game but the steam release broke their spawning mechanism. This will be fixed in a later patch.

The idea of a massive zombie hoard walking across the map for no reason does not fit the lore of PZ. You could (theoretically) make one artificially by drawing several hoards together and walking across the map.

Large (semi static) hoards used to be in the game but the steam release broke their spawning mechanism. This will be fixed in a later patch.

The idea of a massive zombie hoard walking across the map for no reason does not fit the lore of PZ. You could (theoretically) make one artificially by drawing several hoards together and walking across the map.

Hello Fj45,

And thank you for your reply!

So zombies will spawn, so it is not possible to completely clean an entire map for zombies ever?

Hello Fj45,

And thank you for your reply!

So zombies will spawn, so it is not possible to completely clean an entire map for zombies ever?

No, if you clear an area it will stay cleared unless zombies migrate into the area after one of the current meta events. I am unsure about the initial zombie spawning mechanism so I can not go into any further detail. 

By the way, welcome to the forums. If you need an icon I would recommend using this- http://innawoods.net/ it's how I made mine.

I would love to see this happen for the shock value, I can imagine it would be so unexpected just to see them start appearing in your character's peripheral vision, hundreds of zombies all walking through your area.  Perhaps a herd of this size could make a lot of noise which could be heard from far away (as a distant drone in the wind) and that would give you some form of warning of what's to come.  Imagine how tense it would be if you ran indoors and shut the curtains and just waited them out, hoping none would feel the need to bang on your window.

I would really like this to happen.

I would love to see this happen for the shock value, I can imagine it would be so unexpected just to see them start appearing in your character's peripheral vision, hundreds of zombies all walking through your area.  Perhaps a herd of this size could make a lot of noise which could be heard from far away (as a distant drone in the wind) and that would give you some form of warning of what's to come.  Imagine how tense it would be if you ran indoors and shut the curtains and just waited them out, hoping none would feel the need to bang on your window.

I would be happy to have mega hoards but not ones that migrate unless they were following noise. It just goes against lore for them to do otherwise.

Yes! I was thinking the same! I remember the episode in The walking dead season 2 where...

(do not open spoiler alert if you have not watched the walking dead season 2 yet)

they are at the highway, blocked by parked cars. And suddenly they notice a massive zombie-herd headed their way from behind them. Nowhere to escape. They just have to hunker down and hide, and be as quiet as possible so they do not attract the entire herd! Its the episode where Sophie gets chased by a couple of walkers and get lost.

That episode had me sitting on the edge of my seat!

Yes! I was thinking the same! I remember the episode in The walking dead season 2 where...

(do not open spoiler alert if you have not watched the walking dead season 2 yet)

they are at the highway, blocked by parked cars. And suddenly they notice a massive zombie-herd headed their way from behind them. Nowhere to escape. They just have to hunker down and hide, and be as quiet as possible so they do not attract the entire herd! Its the episode where Sophie gets chased by a couple of walkers and get lost.

That episode had me sitting on the edge of my seat!

Yep, or imagine that happening but with tens of thousands, a slow moving tidal wave of teeth and nails.  That would scare the living shizzle out of me but would be a fantastic thing to see.

You already have something similar with the meta game. Just survive long enough and there'll be a chopper flying over your safehouse, drawing the attention of many zombies into you direction. Or a gunshot near your position, ringing the dinnerbell for your neighbourhood. With NPCs there could be a group or a single NPC fleeing a horde right into your direction. I guess if the migration system FJ45 mentioned is worked out, you'll have your thrill. Just give it some time ;)