Game only launches from .bat? I am confused

JohnVicres

Question

Previously, I only played this game via the offline GOG installer, and it worked smoothly. Now that I'm trying to standardize to GOGalaxy, though, this game just refuses to launch through the .exe! But as I looked around for a solution, I saw a mention of launching through the .bat, and lo and behold: it works fine again. The .exe, however, is still a dead end.

What the hell is freaking out in my installation? I wouldn't mind settling with the .bat, but I definitely prefer a fully functional installation...

logs attached

17-06-21_12-08-15_DebugLog_BATLAUNCH.txt 17-06-21_12-07-50_DebugLog_EXELAUNCH.txt

4 answers to this question

Nice Nagatoro xD

I have tried Admin launch, same problem. Also, I do have Avast but it normally pops a warning when they delete my stuff, and in this case it does not. I tried turning it off anyways, problem persists.

To further explain the issue, the .exe shows up as a background process in Task Manager, but never starts, it stays there. More launches from the .exe create more processes, instead of substituting each other. I'm starting to wonder if it's because I've installed in the C:/ dir, since I only have that one and am reluctant to partition my drive. But then, why does the .bat work?!...

The .bat launcher works perfectly fine btw, have got 3 souls zombified so far.

I am honestly not sure as it seems like a problem specific to your computer. It shouldn't be a game installation or just a general game problem since the .bat launches the game just fine. The .exe calls for the same command to launch the game, though since its an .exe it is handled a bit differently by windows in terms of security and permissions, and it could be blocked by Avast for some reason as well (even if Avast is disabled, for example Avast users cannot connect to any game servers since Avast blocks the game connection for some reason)

Yeah, well... I guess there's no helping this, since I don't think I'll ever know what could possibly be flagging Zomboid's .exe. Never happened before (at least not without some warning or report from my PC or Avast)and, frankly, I run much shadier programs all the time!

Since the .bat works and I can play the game, might as well lock this thread and move on.

Archived