Cherno and tiles.

grivcin

So I was lurking the forums (like I have for years now) and came across Cherbourg. What a beautiful piece of work. Even though I cannot play Project Zomboid (my 2011 yr old laptop can't handle it like it used to). I still admire most of the things that are created. I've been contemplating reworking the Chernaurus map since Cherbourg came along, but it's a massive endeavor. Cherno was a passion project. A hobby.  Meant to ease a lot of anxieties and depression. I've since lost most of my photoshop files due to hard drive failure. But I still have some files. So I made a new base map. 

Cherno.png

Making tiles is hard work. Multiple tiles, even harder. I have some drawing abilities, but not like the devs. Creating handmade tiles or sprites or whatever you want to call them is HARD. I scoured the internet to search for tiles that I think would fit in a post apocalyptic setting and of course some good 'ole regular tiles. But mostly things you would see in a dystopian setting like litter, clutter, etc. I found a blender file in this forum and learned how to use blender: in taking 3D models and converting to png tiles (I can't remember who posted it, but credit to them) These tiles are, of course, not mine.

Blender.pngblender-tiles.pngblender-tiles-render.png

I also have worked on creating new recolor and texture tiles (walls and roofs) and trying to see how to work with multi-tiles (not mine) just converted in blender from a 3d model found on different forums from different  dystopian and not-so-dystopian games:

black-misaligned-roof.png black-roof.png

blue-roof.png blue-undergorund-walls.png

blue-wallpaper-wall.png booth-e.png

booth-n.png booth-s.png

booth-w.png boxes.png

brick-exposed-walls-concrete.png brown-roof.png

Bunker-walls.png camping-10.png

camping-11.png clean-blue-roof.png

clean-tile-wall-bath.png clean-wood-roof.png

concrete-01.png concrete-02.png

concrete-cracked.png concrete-damaged.png

Concrete-Grime-Walls.png concrete-moss.png

concrete-slab-wall-clean.png container-roofing.png

container-storage.png Damaged-Brick-Exposed-Wall-001.png

Damaged-Brick-Exposed-Wall-002.png Damaged-Brick-Exposed-Wall-003.png

Damaged-Concrete-Exposed-Wall-004.png damaged-tile-wall-bath.png

Dirty-Walls.png dungeon-walls.png

exposed-brick.png Exposed-Concrete-Brick-Wall.png

ext-wall-brick-bunker.png ext-wall-clean-paint.png

ext-wall-concrete-moss-dirt.png ext-wall-damage-paint.png

fixtures-bathroom-10.png Fridge-old0001.png

Fridge-old0002.png Fridge-old0003.png

Fridge-old0004.png gas-cylinders0002.png

gas-cylinders0003.png gas-cylinders0004.png

gray-roof.png grey-aluminum-roof.png

grey-apint-dirty.png grey-paint-dirty-grime.png

Grimey-Walls.png ground-floor-roof.png

light-grey-wall-damaged.png location-restaurant-diner-10.png

log-cabin-walls.png metal-roofing-materials.png

metal-roofing-materials-001.png Metal-Rusted.png

Metal-Wall-Back-001.png Metal-Wall-Back-002.png

Metal-Wall-Back-003.png Metal-Wall-Back-004.png

metal-wall-clean-sheets.png old-gas0001.png

old-gas0002.png old-gas0003.png

old-gas0004.png old-roofing-materials-001.png

old-roofing-materials-002.png old-roofing-materials-003.png

Orange-concrete-walls.png palletbags.png

red-roof-metal.png Ruined-Walls.png

Ruins-House-Walls-001.png Ruins-House-Walls-002.png

Ruins-House-Walls-003.png Rusted-Metal.png

Rusted-Metal-Wall.png rusty-old-mold-roof.png

shingle-roof.png slick-roof.png

stone-walls.png street-lamps0001.png

street-lamps0002.png street-lamps0003.png

street-lamps0004.png stucco-wall-int-ext-01.png

T-Fuse-Box.png undergorund-walls.png

Wall-Dirt-Grime-Green.png wall-green-damaged.png

wall-green-damaged-01.png wall-red-moss-brick.png

wall-red-tile.png wall-red-tile-damaged.png

wall-wood-old.png Walls-02.png

walls-03.png walls-04.png

walls-outside-03.png wasteland-bricks.png

wasteland-bricks-1.png weird-roof.png

wood-and-fiber-roof.png wood-roofing-materials-001.png

Wood-Wall-Back-001.png Wood-Wall-Back-002.png

Wood-Wall-Back-003.png Wood-Wall-Back-004.png

Wooden-Walls-01.png 

I also played around in photoshop just to see how multi-tile objects are built on an isometric grid. All in all, the pandemic gave me some time to play around and think how cool and rather complex it is to make multi-tile objects. I wish there were a tool that can auto-magically cut tiles on an isometric grid. 

Iso-grid.png

NOTE:

Though they aren't exactly "custom" by any means. These tiles are being made available for anyone to use for their map making endeavors. Of course you do have to actually make them useable for the game and create the respective files in TileZed. I wouldn't know where to start. As I haven't dealt at all with TIleZed or WorldEd in a long time.

As for Chernaurus. I'm slowly working on it. As for buildings, clutter, litter, the farmlands, and all that wonderfully tedious stuff? That will take a little more time, unless boredom takes over. I saw there was a google drive with all the player made buildings and the sort. Some of those buildings might work on this map. But I feel that this map needs its own tiles (sprites) and a lot of "DIFFERENT" buildings all around with lots of randomness. In the original DAYZ game there wasn't enough difference between all the buildings. Honestly I don't know enough about LUA or other game aspects to create a mod for this. If nothing, I will just pass the project over to someone that has more experience and can actually make it happen.

• 2 months later...

Updated Chernaurus isometric map:

I've decided to make the map somewhat different. Added a ton more city and village blocks. And new areas to explore in the future. Detailing and building making is what's coming next. Map is still 9000x9000. There's a lot of work to do. Adding custom tiles will probably not happen as I can't get it to work in TileZed. If I knew how Card did his farmland and visual stuff for his Cherbourg map this would take half the time, but I don't. I'm still trying to remember half the stuff I used to when making buildings and figuring out the basics of the building editor. But I'll keep working on this and see what I can manage. the big blocks are to visualize where lots will be going. I have no idea if that is a good idea or not. Or how that will affect the building of lots once I start plotting down lots. Or if anyone can make a suggestion who is experienced in creating lots on a map. All feedback and constructive criticism is welcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I have redone the Chernarus map again to something I pleased with. I don't think I will continue working on this anymore. I've gone through different iterations and styles and decided to just keep it as the original Chernarus map with the usual locations. Each location should be somewhat similar to the actual location. If you zoom in you can see. Almost all roads are isometric except for some roads that I left as they are on the actual map for variety. Roads range from 1px - 12 px. Except for landing strips that may be bigger. I added some lakes that are not in the actual map for variety and sources of food I guess. This map has not been worked on. My laptop is too old. I don't have custom buildings, I have pictures of some Dayz buildings, but not all. I don't even know how to make buildings anymore or even work with the tools and I don't think I want to re-learn them. That is why this project has been held off for so long, plus losing all the files and reworking it through different iterations until Photoshop just couldn't handle it anymore. If people out there want to work on this map I can provide the folders. I have been trying to make some variation tilesets that fit the theme of Chernarus. Since I finally managed to figure out how to make the tileset I can just upload them when I have other textures. I imagine there are ways to work the map efficiently, I just don't think I can do it with my limited setup. It's too time-consuming. I have design ideas already but can't implement them. I was thinking of making some parts of the map be already overgrown. Some of the streets decayed and vegetation everywhere, some damaged buidlings, but I don't have the artistic ability to do that. AtoxWarrior has some of those elements in his project which is awesome to see. Again, I can provide the files if someone really wants to work on this project and start filling the world. I'd like to see someone who already has experience build on this world. Or a group of people who know what they are doing. Reason being that I actually want to see this world in action reason being I can't not because I don't want to, I just can't with my rig. I know there are some unknown colors that need to be found and fixed. It's a huge map. About 40x40 tiles worth. It's almost as big as the Chernarus map that was about 19,000+ pixels.

spacer.png

• 4 months later...

Hey grivcin,

I've been stalking this project for a few years now and it's both amazing to see the passion for one game being translated into another game, but sad to see that projects like this are extremely difficult to do solo and without help it may never reach the goal of achieving your vision of getting Chernarus into PZ.

I have thousands of hours in the ARMA2 DayZ mod, and all it's extra variations. But considerably less time in Project Zomboid (at the moment, maybe one day PZ will have equal hours playtime!)

I'll say it straight up, I'm not a modder/mapper of PZ (yet) but I too also have wanted to see Cherno make its way into other games, hence why I found this thread (and your other one) several years ago and was hoping one day it might be continued.

I've started learning how to map with the help of the other mappers in The Indie Stone's Discord channel and am starting with making Elektro (Elektrozavodsk) as my first dip into PZ modding/mapping, so hopefully if it all goes well then I can maybe share that with the world.

Maybe, just maybe, one day Cherno will, in all it's glory, be playable in PZ, but I would be lying to say that would be anywhere in the near future. Mapping takes a lot of dedication and real life is very limiting for me at the moment so it will be months before even Elektro even gets close to being finished.

Hopefully the process will speed up over time as I get familiar with the modding tools and with creating custom assets that can be used throughout the map. A lot of ARMA2 DayZ is cookie cutter buildings that are found in every town and city.

I am lucky enough to have a reasonable mid-tier setup so I can use the ARMA2 Chernarus map mod for ARMA3 and fly around free-cam to see buildings and layouts in virtual space which I have found very useful so far!

Anyway, to cut a long message short;

I love your work on this DayZ/PZ Chernarus map mod

I also want to make this too

I haven't seen anyone else at all looking at making Cherno

If you're able to mod/map again in the future and/or anyone else who sees this also is interested - hit me up on Discord

TheIndieStone Discord: https://discord.gg/nBKzU8UKUn
My Discord: WolfiePwnzU#7708   (you can find me lurking in the #mapping channel or DM me)

• 1 year later...

Before even realizing you had been working on Cherno over the years I started one myself. You newer isometric map is looking pretty similar to my own and it's also a passion project for me. A Hobby while indecisive on what game I want to play. Would be awesome to see it come to life as a fully completed map on either front. Hopefully you can get back at it but understandable how life sometimes changes and limits free time. Great work!