Project Zomboid goes to black screen after loading

SkyCloud

Project Zomboid goes to black screen after loading, there's no music and the indie stone logo loads in but gets quickly cut to black screen. I can get the main menu to show up if I click continuously on the loading screen in specific period but it lucky turns to a black screen soon after showing the menu. I've tried compatibility mode and verifying my files, I'm also playing on Mac version 10.15.7. I've tried reading through the forums and found similar problems but when I try to fix it doesn't work. Also tried uninstalling and installing and I bought the game on steam today.

Try disabling the Steam overlay, as it can cause problems specifically on Mac computers.

Open the Steam client and navigate to the Steam > Settings/Preferences > In-game tab. Uncheck the box next to Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

overlay_options.JPG

Thanks, fixed the problem of playing the game, it still crashes relatively frequently but it's more annoying than anything and it only happens when setting up a game. I now have the problem of sound, I still can't here anything in-game or in the main menu, I use headphones. Any clue what it is?

1 hour ago, SkyCloud said:

Thanks, fixed the problem of playing the game, it still crashes relatively frequently but it's more annoying than anything and it only happens when setting up a game. I now have the problem of sound, I still can't here anything in-game or in the main menu, I use headphones. Any clue what it is?

Not specifically, do you have any software in the background that modifies the sound? Or have you tried checking the in-game settings or your system settings to check what the default sound device is?
As for the crashes, can you tell us what your system specifications are?

These are my specifications, a little underpowered to play this game I know but not massively so, and like I said the crashes are mostly annoying, so I can power through it, and only happens in the main menu with no clear indications, so there isn't any interruption while playing., which is good. As for the sound, I can't really tell you if there's anything strange, my laptop settings are definitely connected to the right headphones, through bluetooth, and I know the game is supposed to be playing sound because whenever I use it I hear a low volumed pop every so often, and no there isn't anything in the background that modifies sound. Frankly, I play the game with the deaf trait now since I can't here anything anyway, also whenever I put my headphones on while playing the game with the deaf trait I still hear that low volumed pop. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 19.40.58.png

Interesting, this version of Mac shouldn't really crash even with these specifications, it must struggle and crash while loading all the files on the main menu I have to assume.
As for the sound, have you tried disconnecting the Bluetooth headphones and checked whether the sound works on speakers? And if it does then try connecting them again.
This way we can test whether the sound would be a problem on the game or a problem specifically with the headphones, most likely the OS isn't setting them as a default device so PZ wont pick them up properly. I assume you could check in the Sound settings in the OS whether the headphones are set as a default device as well?

I've disconnected and reconnected my headphones multiple times but my speakers are blown out so I just keep the volume off, probably why I never noticed sound when I connect my headphones elsewhere, tested it out just now and my internal speakers indeed play music from the main menu. And yep, my internal settings are definitely defaulting to headphones.

Do they play the music on the main menu even if the headphones are connected? It might be a Mac specific issue if that would be the case since other people had it as well.

Example:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/377383/my-mac-switches-audio-output-from-bluetooth-headphones-to-internal-speakers

You could try the fix mentioned there, but I suppose it would only apply if it really switches to the speakers while using the headphones, otherwise I am not sure why the headphones wouldnt work, I am not too familiar with Mac computers, but is there an option to change the sound format in the Bluetooth headphones? I know that PZ wont handle super high rates like 96000hz. Its best to keep it to 44100 (at least in Windows this is default and can cause problems if the settings are changed there)

When my headphones are connected no sounds play, no music, nothing, when I switch to speaker I hear all the sounds, but my speakers are blown out so it's not really an option. Tried  the fix, didn't work but my Mac is pretty fucked up already so it could be just a me problem. I'm hoping to be able to get a new laptop soon but it'll still take a few months even if I'm able to get it, I'll just wait it out. Anyway, thanks for these correspondences and all your help, especially with trying to dig up a Mac fix, it's likely to be just a problem with my personal Mac and that I'll have to play with the deaf trait until I'm able to get a new laptop, hopefully a windows based one. Thanks again for your all help.

All the best

• 5 months later...

I got a similar problem. Sometimes my headphones don't connect to the laptop. In this case I just restart it and for a wonder the headphones immediately connect. Idk if it's a problem only on my version of Mac, but I've no idea how to solve this problem in another way. Btw, I heard from my friend about mac and iphone reparation. I faced with my problem only a few times, but I'm worried if it'll occur more often. Probably I should change my Mac to a new version. Don't really want to pay through the nose and get the same result, you know. What do you think, guys?

Edited by derkonsamarie

10 minutes ago, derkonsamarie said:

I got a similar problem. Sometimes my headphones don't connect to the laptop. In this case I just restart it and for a wonder the headphones immediately connect.

If that doesn't work, go to System Preferences -> Sounds -> you should be able to select. your default playback device there.

On Windows it's "Manage audio devices" in the Start bar search menu. 

• 8 months later...

I have a: 
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU RTX 3070 Laptop

When trying to run project Zomboid from steam the game comes up with a black screen and the main Manu music plays but the screen is black.  When running via the new "Alternate Launch (may work when Default Fails)" the same result occurs.  Removing the steam overlay has no effect.  running with the launch option :

"-Djinput.useDefaultPlugin=false --" 
does not change the result.  Running as administrator does not change the result.  All drivers and windows updates have been updated.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions