Minor changes to items usages

Faalagorn

A lot of these suggestions were posted in Small but Important Suggestions Thread or elsewhere, but I think it's best to group them together. These should all be easy enough to implement, giving use to otherwise unused object, which in the long term would make the game more interesting and hopefully lest cluttered, as people won't just blindly throw away items so the container can be disassembled or in the case of respawning items, could respawn loot. Right now the totally junk items don't server any purpose and can only be thrown. While some of these suggestion won't magically give those items a must-have sought to flag, they would at least give some use for those unlucky ones to be stuck with just those items, or just wanting to use them for something as often is IRL.

I also grouped it, for easy searching. I think those kind of fixes would be easy to fix to not distract from getting MP to run for smaller teams of no-MP focused  (hi Team Tanglewood!)

Beauty:

• Comb should be required for specif hairstyles.
  • Rubber Band should be required for hair styles (there's a mod for that!), it would be nice to have rubber hairbands dropping as well.
  • Lipsticks, Eyes Makeup, Foundation Makeup should be drainables.

Water storage:

• Empty Tin Can, Empty Jar and cooler should be able to hold water and collect rain when placed outside.
  • Empty Drinks Can should be able to hold water.

Fuel:

• Money should be used as a fuel and kindling.
  • All kind of shoes should be usable as a fuel again (including broken/worn out ones).
  • Worn-out clothes should be able to be used as a fuel.
  • Broken wood weapons should be able to be used as a fuel.

Weapons:

• Mop should be a weapon.
  • Tree branch should be a weapon.

Containers:

• Wallets should be containers.
  • Empty chips bags should exist and be containers as well.

Clothing:

• Bandanas, Balaclavas, Bikinis, Fingerless Gloves, and some hats should be used to craft sheets.
  • Belts, Holsters and Leather Gloves should be a source of leather.
  • Overalls should be cut for denim.
  • Earpods and Heaphones should be able to be worn.

Misc:

• Crayons should be used as a multi-colored pens (they should have durability too).

I'll update the list when I remind myself of stuff that I missed, as there are certainly some :). As I said, a lot of these ideas would reduce useless clutter on servers when MP comes without the need to resorting to removing items, so it's a welcome change I guess. I'd also love smelthing to make a comeback, especially with the remaining weapons and jewelerries and lockets that could potentially be smelted for something.

Though since we got composting, at least rotten burnt and poisonous food can be used for something (even if composting rotten meat is not something to be advised IRL).

Water Storage:

We should be able to fill bathtubs, sinks etc. before the water shutoff to provide more water after it is shut off.

Weapons:

This mod does a pretty good job of rounding out the unused items as melee weapons.

Notable mentions of missing melee weapons: lug wrench (I can't remember if the wrench is a weapon or not), kettle, gas can.

Clothing:

Belts, holsters and splints should have visuals.

It would also be nice to have sneakers that have white borders, like the canvas shoes added by the Paw low loot mod.

I forgot some as well, I put them in small suggestions before:

• Cologne and Perfumes should be used as a single use desinfecant
  • Wallets should hold money inside
  • Cork screw should be a stabby weapon (and should be needed to open bottle wines)

Thanks for showing the missing weapon mod! And yeah, forgot about lug wrench too :)

While the water storage isn't directly related to water usage, I agree with that as well, though judging by the amount left in the, I think they are already filled, though I agree it should be done explicitly (though I guess fitting anims and tiles would be nice too)

• Sponges should be usable to cleaning blood.
  • Bath Towels, Dish Towels and bags should be able to be ripped for ripped sheets – ideally they should all use and share the same clothing code, Bath Towels could be worn too, which I mentioned in the small suggestion thread
  • Ripped sheets, not clothes directly, should be used to make sheet ropes (and sheet ropes be torn into ripped sheets again, possibly with some loss, or allow them to be burn at least)

The last suggestions, along with the previous ones, would allow less random clutter being left around without use. :)

Most of these are great ideas! 

Maybe, not what the OP meant, but earbuds and headphones can be worn when attached to a radio so that they can be listened to quietly. 

TBH wallets as containers seems like a waste. There’s no point in carrying around cash, credit cards, etc. Yeah if cash could be used as kindling like the OP suggested there’s a small reason. But you could just stuff the worthless kindling wherever. A wallet just makes carrying cash and credit cards easier and more convenient and there’s just no need for that. 

But yes; let us burn cash! 

2 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Most of these are great ideas! 

Maybe, not what the OP meant, but earbuds and headphones can be worn when attached to a radio so that they can be listened to quietly. 

TBH wallets as containers seems like a waste. There’s no point in carrying around cash, credit cards, etc. Yeah if cash could be used as kindling like the OP suggested there’s a small reason. But you could just stuff the worthless kindling wherever. A wallet just makes carrying cash and credit cards easier and more convenient and there’s just no need for that. 

But yes; let us burn cash! 

Yeah, the first one I know of, but it would be nice if they could appear visible on you as well :).

About the wallets, I agree though it would be better immerse-wise if they had money, credit cards, maybe lockers or other small items inside  – similar how you find first aid kits currently!

EDIT: There's one more thing that would solve some of the items laying around unused, which will be even more important when MP hits – I think it was suggested before, but I like how current tailoring works when you can shred most items down to rags/stripes. I think the same should be extended to breaking down broken weapons into unusable wood for burning or down the road unusable metal for smithing.

Edited by Faalagorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ain't sure on how this site works, but here is one of my suggestions.

How about the ability to shoot yourself, so you won't zombify, but die? I'd imagine this would work by holding right click on yourself and choosing "shoot yourself" or something along those lines. This would instantly kill you, but you won't zombify, as you destroyed your own brain. While this should be in both solo and multiplayer, I can see it being used more in multiplayer to save the others from having to kill the zombified player themselves. The player doesn't have to be infected to be able to kill themselves, instead they can do it as long as they have a gun.

Something that could spice this idea up (and really set the vibe and tone for the game) would be a "failure" mechanic to this. Basically, the more healthy and happy you are, the bigger the chance of not "going through" with shooting yourself. As your sanity and happiness lowers, however, the likelyhood of the character "going through" with it will increase. Basically, the more depressed you are, the more likely you are to actually succeed in ending your life.