The Fixing System

RobertJohnson

I'm glad the system is finally into the game. Good job! 

I have a few offers though. Repairing an axe or sledgehammer with glue or duct tape is just too unrealistic. It works with knives and hammers and pans, I believe, but you can't do that with an axe for example. Why? Cause axes and sledgehammers are used for heavy duty. Duct tape or glue won't hold a cracked handle together. If a handle of an axe is broken or cracked, one just makes a new handle and puts the head on it, then keeps the tool in the water until the head holds good on the handle

Not speaking about the tool getting blunted, of course! Sharpening with duct tape, lol

I would prefer if there was a steel. I know a lot of households that got it, it's used to sharpen your knife, and it's really easy to use (If you don't know what it is, try google it  (fedora) )

Else I could see that using a whetstone or a mug would serve the purpose. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Sharpen-a-Knife (The last example is a coffee used as a whetstone.) 

Instead of ducttape etc. Which don't really make much sense to me tbh  :???:.

Edit: I'm of course talking about how to repair the kitchen knife. (My primary weapon)  (fedora)

With kitten knives it's not as much that the blade gets blunt but that the handle will likely break off of the blade. Usually regular kitchen knives are extremely weak when it comes to sideways force directed at them, as I recall Rathlord saying.

I think that too...

But add this kind of whetstone could be ok too, this system will be expended in the future ;)

@RobertJohson

Feeling a leeeeetle cheesy for posting about a mod. For another game. but, the repair system in Misery 2 might be worth a look at for inspiration for weapon fixing ideas.

Just as an example, to repair a lightly damaged gun (assumed to be simply dirty as opposed to missing pieces) you can use gun oil to clean the gun and repair it a little. Now, when the gun oil and a piece of cloth is used, the addition of the cloth is assumed to have been used to get the oil into all the little nooks and crannies of the gun's mechanism, as opposed to smearing the oil on in your fingers, resulting in a slight improvement to repair than just using the oil alone.

Any plans on doing something similar? Say, metal plates + duct tape being more effective at fixing an axe than duct tape alone? Or something like that?

Any plans on doing something similar? Say, metal plates + duct tape being more effective at fixing an axe than duct tape alone? Or something like that?

How would you consider the 'metal plates' to be more useful in repairing an axe, than just duct tape alone?

I could imagine using them as splints to hold the handle stiff in combination with the tape, but as far as the head is concerned I can't really imagine 'plates' being overly useful...

fixing Fix Axe{   Require : Axe,   Fixer : Woodglue=2; Woodwork=2; Farming=2,   Fixer : DuctTape=2,   Fixer : Glue,   Fixer : Nails,}
First fixer give you + 50% condition (here Duct tape), second 25% (here Wooden glue) and 10% for every other in the list.

Can't understand why you call DuctTape first fixer. According to the code and screenshot first fixer is "Woodglue", second is "DuctTape", third is "Glue", fourth is "Nails".

What does this mean ?

Require : Axe

Simply the required item to fix.

If it is, so "Fix ShotgunSawnoff" must be:

fixing Fix ShotgunSawnoff{    Require : ShotgunSawnoff,    Fixer : ShotgunSawnoff; Aiming=4,}

I take it there will be a fixing stat or something reflect the toon's personal skill at repairs, as it's not very realistic to have it purely based on luck alone. I mean a skilled craftsman would have a much better shot a repairing or even improving  weapon than someone who hasn't done it at all. Mabey link it to carpentry?

I love the idea, but as for the example given the chance of fixing an axe IRL with wood glue or tape is 0%.  Fixing a broken axe requires a 1) a hickory handle and/or a 2) sharpening stone.   Baseball bat, pool cue, golf club, etc repair with glue and tape is equially unlikely.   If you taped or glued one up, you'd get one wack out of it and you'd be back to a broken item.

For an axe, having the ability to replace a handle and/or sharpen an axe with the requisite items would be a wonderful addition.   The hickory handle might be a unique recipe item for axe repair, but a sharpening stone would have all sorts of applications across bladed weapons and farming tools.  

I do like the idea of having the ability to make simple repairs.   Duct tape a plastic tarp.   Sew up a torn sheet or other fabric/clothing item.  So surviving an attack with a bite to the leg would result in damage to the pants.   You can then either repair them with a sewing kit or convert them to shorts.   You could also make blood staining a cosmetic effect.   You can then have cosmetic and functional damage.  Something could have an appearance of 0% but a functionality of 100% which would mean it's ugly but it works.  The 0% appearance could impact your interactions with NPCs causing you to look like a zombie if you walk around dressing in their clothes.  

I think it'd be cool if the firearm condition system all depends on how you treat your gun. For example. you could have an option to clean it or find some kind of oil. Frankly I don't know enough about guns, but I do know that a well-maintained gun lasts a very long time. I do like the idea of gun parts, though don't you think there should be a "mechanic" skill or something? To even know what part is broken you'd need some kind of knowledge about how mechanical parts work.