The Fixing System

RobertJohnson

developers plz change the crafting mechanics - come-on drop-down menus is really nice for programmers but as GUI is not engaging - 

use the mindcraft like mechanics from demo - much intuitive and game play.

part of this game is survive but other part is improvise and combine thinks - using drop down menus is boorrrring

developers plz change the crafting mechanics - come-on drop-down menus is really nice for programmers but as GUI is not engaging - 

part of this game is survive but other part is improvise and combine thinks - using drop down menus is boorrrring

The inventory system will be updated and changed, we will just have to see what the Devs try to do.

MINEcraft thank you very much. Us nerds have to take pride in something...

The inventory system will be updated and changed, we will just have to see what the Devs try to do.

I don't know about them being changed though... updated for sure, but not necessarily changed... They just changed the inventory system to this within the last year iirc so I'm not sure they're that keen on doing it again. Unless you can cite me a source?

I do somewhat agree that the drop downs are a bit clunky, but it's not to the point where it would bother me at all. When it comes to the inventory and container menus, I like the way they work, simple and non-intrusive. Unlike said Minecraft, which totally obscures the view and halts all gameplay opportunities.

I don't know about them being changed though... updated for sure, but not necessarily changed... They just changed the inventory system to this within the last year iirc so I'm not sure they're that keen on doing it again. Unless you can cite me a source?

I do somewhat agree that the drop downs are a bit clunky, but it's not to the point where it would bother me at all. When it comes to the inventory and container menus, I like the way they work, simple and non-intrusive. Unlike said Minecraft, which totally obscures the view and halts all gameplay opportunities.

While I haven't heard anything from the Devs about it, the current inventory, while being a huge step up over the old one, is still quite clunky and sometimes terrible. (multiple bags is the main problem.) Every new item added will just make it worse.

Basic updates over time could extend the current inventory's life but at one point or another it will have to get overhauled.

I love the idea, but as for the example given the chance of fixing an axe IRL with wood glue or tape is 0%.  Fixing a broken axe requires a 1) a hickory handle and/or a 2) sharpening stone.   Baseball bat, pool cue, golf club, etc repair with glue and tape is equially unlikely.   If you taped or glued one up, you'd get one wack out of it and you'd be back to a broken item.

This is currently WIP.

Kitchen.

I love the idea, but as for the example given the chance of fixing an axe IRL with wood glue or tape is 0%.  Fixing a broken axe requires a 1) a hickory handle and/or a 2) sharpening stone.   Baseball bat, pool cue, golf club, etc repair with glue and tape is equially unlikely.   If you taped or glued one up, you'd get one wack out of it and you'd be back to a broken item.

Duct tape FIX EVERYTHING

WeYgstA.jpg2vOQIGM.jpgbpmyAH0.jpgBzDVVVA.jpg

One thing though, could you note in the OP or just edit it in the Non Lua script text, To make woodwork to carpentry throws me off and probably confuses new players to trip their balls off when they see that. Or just change the name for carpentry to woodwork in the game so we are all on the same page.

if its not to much of a pain that is, Otherwise awesome job so far.

Also is it planned for there to be a way to see the ingredients needed to repair an item in the game so people can see what they need?

You see the ingredients if you have it, but I can add the others ingredients you can use if it's too confusing..

Also yup for woodwork/carpentry, will do it :)

I meant like So you can see what you still need to fix it, just like how you can mouse over things in the building menu and see what you are missing.So we dont have to go to the wiki to see what we need in our inventory to fix it everytime. :) Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

If I want to add the items in my mod to fixing.txt so that they can repaired, is it better to

a) add them to the original fixing.txt in the /media/scripts/ folder, or

b) make my own copy in my mod's folder so that it overwrites the default fixing.txt on game start, or

c) make a new customfixing.txt (different filename to the original, obviously) which imports the data from "module Base" but also lists my own data to add to it?

Before I get too far into it, I'd like to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, if possible...

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer!

Hey all,

If I want to add the items in my mod to fixing.txt so that they can repaired, is it better to

b) make my own copy in my mod's folder so that it overwrites the default fixing.txt on game start, or

c) make a new customfixing.txt (different filename to the original, obviously) which imports the data from "module Base" but also lists my own data to add to it?

Before I get too far into it, I'd like to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, if possible...

Wild assed guess, but I'm pretty sure if you include your own fixing.txt in %username%\mods\your_mod_here, it'll override it.

Hey all,

Wild assed guess, but I'm pretty sure if you include your own fixing.txt in %username%\mods\your_mod_here, it'll override it.

I'm not sure that mod files with the same name/relative file location as game files will overwrite the game files in all circumstances.

I have made a new fixing.txt with all the info of the game's version of fixing.txt plus the details of my gun and how it should be repaired.

If it is really meant to overwwrite the original then I should be able to see repair options for my gun in-game, but I don't.

I think there could be some other factor in play here, but I don't know what it is.

• 1 month later...

I've just started using this so I don't have to bring a couple spiked bats with me but when I attempt repairs even with wood glue the chances are less than half. As well whenever I'm successful the durability seems to go up once or twice but then for some reason  another successful repair causes it to fall.  I cant no matter what get it to go up after the durability is above 20.  I've got it to 36 once but then another successful repair dropped it back to 20.  Is this supposed to be this way?

edit: Really!? I have used 2 bottles of wood glue 6 bottles of glue 3 rolls of duct tape and 15 nails and my bat is only at 33!  This definitly needs to be fixed!  I can picture it,  dragging around a nail bat thats 3 times it's original size and has only little nubs where the nails should be because there is so much glue and tape.  That thing is a padded bat by now and worthless.