Ultimate Food Perservation

Odinsreaver

Kinyoshi put up mods that implement the perservation of foods; such as curing meats and canning foods.

Another thing I would like to see in the game is building up an ice house to store ice.

Have it impleneted during the winter when it snows (if it ever gets added)

Ice harvesting and put it in an ice house to store the ice, and building an icebox (cold closet) to store foods so you can perserve foods once everything goes dark.

- Implementing canning foods and curing meats into the game and not just a mod.

(fedora)

Here are a few easy idea:

1.  Root Cellar - dig a hole and roof it.  Extends the life of veggie a great deal.

2.  Smoke House - Build a small building, include a box or shelves.  Prime some wood for "smoking".  Then build a fire and have it smoke the food inside the building.

That said, the ability to dig a hole would be huge.  Might have to use some wood for bracing, but the implications for housing and defensive positions would be immense.

Preservation can actually be pretty simple. Most methods don't actually need vacuum-packaging.

Pemmican is basically just meat dried either over the sun or in bright sunlight, pounded into small pieces then mixed with fat, which is also in the animal you take it from. You can make biltong by skipping the fat part, using vinegar and spices and drying for several days. Most meats can be preserved with vinegar or salt. Sushi originated from the practice of using vinegar and rice to preserve raw fish.

It's all relatively simple, it's just the knowledge involved, which is a difficult mechanic. There's the minecraft approach, where you can learn recipes by word of mouth to make stuff, or blocking off recipes until players get some knowledge obtained in-game somehow.

I'm not really sure what's the best way of implementing it, personally.

Preservation can actually be pretty simple. Most methods don't actually need vacuum-packaging.

Pemmican is basically just meat dried either over the sun or in bright sunlight, pounded into small pieces then mixed with fat, which is also in the animal you take it from. You can make biltong by skipping the fat part, using vinegar and spices and drying for several days. Most meats can be preserved with vinegar or salt. Sushi originated from the practice of using vinegar and rice to preserve raw fish.

It's all relatively simple, it's just the knowledge involved, which is a difficult mechanic. There's the minecraft approach, where you can learn recipes by word of mouth to make stuff, or blocking off recipes until players get some knowledge obtained in-game somehow.

I like the idea of having basic things like drying meat available to the player from the start but only if the player knows the recipe. 

But for more complex ones (smoking meat, pickling, drying fruit) a survival guide or food preparation guide would be needed.  

Wouldn't that be rolled into higher levels of the cooking skill just like carpentry has some recipes that have level restrictions  

I suppose, but I still feel that preservation by nature is pretty simple. You were supposed to be able to do it on the move, after all.

Wouldn't that be rolled into higher levels of the cooking skill just like carpentry has some recipes that have level restrictions  

Maybe but take for example, a cook. They may know how to make all kinds of food but they would probably not know how to preserve food apart from pickling and drying.

Pot-in-Pot refrigerator

Pretty damn cool for your most valuable perishable foods.
Not sure how an unemployed trailer dude would know about it, but maybe he had time to watch some "Secret of the Ancients" on the Discovery Channel?
Flowerpot (Large) + Flowerpot (Medium) + Sand + 2 water + dish towel = Flower Pot Fridge
Needs to be "watered" to keep operating

I would like to see a variety of books that give access to certain recipes. Keep the basic 1-5 skill books, but include higher tier preservation techniques in a Food Preparation book, or Outdoor Survival book

That is exactly what I already said!

I like the idea of having basic things like drying meat available to the player from the start but only if the player knows the recipe. 

But for more complex ones (smoking meat, pickling, drying fruit) a survival guide or food preparation guide would be needed.  

Yeah, but then you have to find a random item or you'll never get those recipes. I think automatically learning them after a certain amount of cooking / experimenting is a bit more realistic and fair personally.

That would work, I was thinking a bit more short term.

Yeah, but then you have to find a random item or you'll never get those recipes. I think automatically learning them after a certain amount of cooking / experimenting is a bit more realistic and fair personally.

You could do both, actually. Earn it by experimenting or find it early via a book?

You could do both, actually. Earn it by experimenting or find it early via a book?

That is what I meant.

Have it impleneted during the winter when it snows (if it ever gets added)

There's been alot of contention regarding whether snow will actually be added, Rathlord will probably tell you why if he sees this thread.

I think food preservation has been discussed on the forums before in dribs and drabs and as I started before I would be more than happy to see some more food preservation mechanics in the game that are outside that of just putting stuff in the fridges and such.

I just want a way to keep my crops fresh. They go bad in one day and take a minimum of 6 to grow so I slowly starve...

Make 14 crop beds and plant 2 of them every day.  After a week, you harvest two a day and repeat the sewing process.  Streach this process out for whatever crops you are cycling.

Potatoes last a lot longer in the ground, so you can leave them for a bit. 

However, there should be some way to keep foods longer.  At the very least, take a fridge and bury it, door up (like a coffin) on the shady side of a house.  Put some boards on the top and bingo, instant root cellar!