Tutorial bugs and issues

Sedgwick

Was helping someone troubleshoot an issue with the tutorial that seemed like it was related to their resolution.

• If you start the tutorial at 800x600 resolution, it errors out and the tutorial fails to start.
  • At 1024x768 resolution (next highest up I was able to select), when you reach the part of the tutorial where you open the curtains, the tutorial message is in the middle and can block most of the window. With a bit of adjusting the zoom I was able to click a small corner to get the interaction, but Spiffo was blocking my ability to click it even though it would highlight. I had to shift-E to get through the message.

Here's what the message looked like when I first appeared at the window, which blocks your ability to right click items underneath it:

AVnG6rm.png

Once I zoomed in, you can see I was able to complete the section, but a new player could easily forget about zooming or just get stuck at that part if the resolution is small enough that the message ends up here. It also doesn't mention in the tutorial message that shift-E could be used to open the window which would have been a way to do it without the need to click in this section.

CeqJOpW.png

I can't imagine there are going to be that many people at these lower resolutions these days, I'm usually at 1920x1080 but still wanted to point out there are some potential issues with the tutorial depending on your settings.

• 2 months later...

I jumped back into the tutorial with 41.52 to see how it was looking. I'll preface this with I don't have any of these issues in a regular game, it's just issues with the tutorial. No mods installed or enabled.

1. When I got to the part where you need to open the curtains, I right clicked and selected open curtain, but got stuck aiming the shotgun instead. At that point you're stuck in place, can spin around, but other than that can't do anything except left click the curtain. Left clicking the curtain triggered the next part though, so it was only that one option that failed. Video for it here.

2. I couldn't complete the tutorial when I got to the part where you need to sprint to the outhouse. A video wouldn't be super helpful here since it's just me walking and jogging while alt fails to make me sprint, I just continue walking. I haven't changed the keybind and as I mentioned, the sprinting works fine for me in a regular game. So at that point the tutorial was softlocked. I tried again a second time, but this time without triggering the bug in number 1, so i just left clicked the curtain to open instead of right click > open curtain. I continued on and was able to sprint when I got to the appropriate stage.

edit about number 2: it could also have something to do with the clothing in the cabinet? One attempt I just put on the jacket, and was able to sprint, another attempt I put on a bunch of gear including the boots, and couldn't sprint. Got to the part where I thought I was softlocked and put the sneakers back on, and could sprint again. It seems some combination of the clothing & the curtain bug prevents it, but I'm not sure what specifically is doing it since some combination of these things work, and some combinations do not work to let me sprint.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need any more info. Have a good one!

az8AEDC.jpeg

Edited by Sedgwick