Google maps on a smartphone

playlessNamer

I have seen the minimapmod in several gameplays now, it seems overpowered because you see all the zombies as red points.

But often when i am to far away from my home i can not find it anymore, pretty unrealistic because everyone has a smartphone. I would like to save my POI locations, be able to tell friends where i am by streetname or GPS.

Handys are very easy to find in this szenario, nearly every zombie should have one. Nearly all with batterie down. Find a charge cable.

Main suggestion is adding the minimap without op features like zombiedetection just for navigation.

I think this is much content with just relative low effort to implement (from my noob sight at least).

In the end its a must have because its absolute unrealistic to not have smartphones!

At first this is for the minimap when the handy is equipped on the belt or secondary ...

but when you think this further you can add more features to a smartphone.

-a short range flashlight

-distracting, put a ringtone on a throw it anywhere to lure zombies to it

-any roleplay and chatfunctions. just share phonenumbers (just imagine GTA and GTA roleplay servers what the possible potential this have)

-connecting to cars, hear music, get quests when you find writings on wall "join this chatgroup" or "call this number for xxx", resource W-LAN because 5G is no more, get some routers up, ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:05 PM, Seg said:

I think just a standard handheld gps would make more sense than google maps. They definitely had those in the 90s. Maybe computer integration where you have to download maps off of floppy disks? 

The military had GPS. 

Civilians did not have access to GPS until 1983 (and was only given to the world because the Soviet Union shot down a Korean passenger jet that was off course). The US realized that could have been avoided if they shared some tech. But there was a catch; its accuracy was purposefully degraded to about 100 meters. It would give your general location (in lat/long) but was very “inaccurate” for the civilian user. The full GPS constellation wasn’t even operational until 1993. Then in 2000 its accuracy degradation was lifted. So the timeframe doesn’t quite fit with expecting to find a useful GPS unit. Even giving it a little bit of wiggle room with that and it’d be unrealistic to expect many civilians to have adopted it by then. Certainly no GPS maps yet for the PZ timeframe. 

There was no GPS in cell phones until 1999. 

• 4 weeks later...

While GPS would be out of the timeframe, some rare military maps of the whole playable area could be nice, right now you kinda have to guess where you are once you leave towns, a big map with somewhat useful annotations could be a real treasure to find, especially to people who don't remember the entire map by heart.

Smartphones are just a big fat NO

However, your idea about cell phones could still be cool. Being able to call someone on a big brick phone you need to find massive batteries for would be fun. Kinda like a walkie talkie but with the added bonus of attracting all zombies in the area. Ultimately, I think that HAM Radios and Walkie Talkies already fulfill any task that cell phones could be useful for without any added upkeep or risk.

Maybe, in future, they could add PCs. These would be used for programming machines and setting up factories or other manufacturing plants. However, there could be a longterm goal where you could set up a simple dial-up internet for e-mailing across different PCs at the same or different bases. In this case, phones could have a use in MacGyvering a dial up connection.

I think having a more detailed map system would be the ideal situation.

Currently its just hard to tell where your map is really for or what you are seeing.

I think programming a sort of local area map for some starting professions/ in certain homes would be more ideal.

we can kind of edit maps also but to expand that system to make it more user friendly would be great

On 6/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, CaptKaspar said:

The military had GPS. 

Civilians did not have access to GPS until 1983 (and was only given to the world because the Soviet Union shot down a Korean passenger jet that was off course). The US realized that could have been avoided if they shared some tech. But there was a catch; its accuracy was purposefully degraded to about 100 meters. It would give your general location (in lat/long) but was very “inaccurate” for the civilian user. The full GPS constellation wasn’t even operational until 1993. Then in 2000 its accuracy degradation was lifted. So the timeframe doesn’t quite fit with expecting to find a useful GPS unit. Even giving it a little bit of wiggle room with that and it’d be unrealistic to expect many civilians to have adopted it by then. Certainly no GPS maps yet for the PZ timeframe. 

There was no GPS in cell phones until 1999. 

Again, this game takes place in the 90s. Handheld GPS systems definitely DID exist, even in the timeframe you're describing, they were just extremely uncommon.

Edited by PoshRocketeer