Some thoughts about armor

Tankred

Just one more thing, because it just keeps coming up in a lot of people's post about the time it would take in real life to do some of these things.

You guys don't seem to have a problem with being able to build a house in a few days to a week with the way carpentry works, or how you can build a house with just nails and a hammer. Or being able to cut down 20 trees and turn them into wood planks with no back ground skill in woodworking is just a few hours. Nor do you seem to have any worries about crops going from seeds, to seed bearing fully mature plants with fruit in a matter of days and it taking no time at all to harvest seeds or being able to grow strawberries in December. Because let's face it it would not be fun to wait two growing Seasons to get your carrots to grow seeds like in real life, it would not be fun for it to take 6 months to build single room house by your self. It's a game it's fun to be able to build all kinds of things even if you can fine something just as good maybe you just want to see your guy in chain mail vs a leather jacket.

1) could a person in real life in KY make/find, make shift armor or body armour/ equipment that would havefer protection from damage ? Yes for sure

2) is it something that could be done with out rewriting a the game ? Yes you could add armor with out rewriting the game

3) does it fit with feel of Zomboid ? A huge part of the game is looting and crafting so yes here too

4) would it make the game to easy ? No it would not if their was a trade off and it was balanced, make body armor super rare to find, make certain armor better for different things ( flack jacket dosent help vs zombies much but help vs bullets, riot gear is great vs bullets and zombies but is hard to find, hard to repair, takes up most of your personal body space, is hot as he'll in the summer, hinders mobility )

5) Would it add to the game play enough to make it wroth adding ? I would say yes, it would be super fun to make armor from spare bits, it would be cool as hell to find and collect bits of a riot suite and have it save your life when your safe house comes under attck from armed bandits ect ect.

Thx for the read sorry I write a lot in my posts.

Yeah I agree but not so much about having armour "balanced". Some things are just better than other things. Some armour would be lighter and stronger than other armour. You could have some armour made of rare materials that's not very good, and some that's made of very common materials that's perfect.

I firmly believe that having reenforced leather gloves and forearm and elbow protection is simply superiour to having bare arms. Otherwise you could accidentally scrape yourself on some concrete or a wooden fence and get zombie blood in it, or get hurt on your hands and forearms as you are wrestling and bashing and slicing zombiess. I do not think that something artificial and unnatural should be added to remove the benefit of armour.

I don't mean to be grumpy, I think it would be fun, playing a video game with zombies.

• 5 months later...

I think that each piece of clothing should have an armor value like the warmth value. A pair of pants is better than some shorts. Also i think a museum with some rare one time armors would be amazing. Also with armor i think that when NPCs come there should be police NPCs that when killed they may have a bullet proof vest or other useful things. Leather jackets or riot gear, i think that they should have diffrent clothes and that effects armor in a important way. Also armor should have set bonuses. If you have all riot gear you have a little bit more of a boost to your armor. If you have a bathing suit on you swim/move through water faster. If you have on all hiking gear you move faster off roads. If you have jogging gear you run faster on roads. Armor in full sets should have bonuses, NOT like if you have a police uniform you shoot better or you use less ammo. Just an idea

I think that each piece of clothing should have an armor value like the warmth value. A pair of pants is better than some shorts. Also i think a museum with some rare one time armors would be amazing. Also with armor i think that when NPCs come there should be police NPCs that when killed they may have a bullet proof vest or other useful things. Leather jackets or riot gear, i think that they should have diffrent clothes and that effects armor in a important way. Also armor should have set bonuses. If you have all riot gear you have a little bit more of a boost to your armor. If you have a bathing suit on you swim/move through water faster. If you have on all hiking gear you move faster off roads. If you have jogging gear you run faster on roads. Armor in full sets should have bonuses, NOT like if you have a police uniform you shoot better or you use less ammo. Just an idea

I agree with all of this except the museum part.  I like the idea of "Urban Armor" like leather jackets or rare riot gear you can get from police zombies and the police base.

Now about the museum part...

Several people ask for stuff like Katanas and cannons and WW2 tanks found in museums when a museum more than likely will:

A: Not have anything useful

B: Have an incomplete set of equipment

C: Use replicas

The odds of finding something legitimate in a museum is so unlikely that it would be rather useless to include it at all, but it seems like a lot of people like to try to use it as an excuse to add cool ninja weapons or something when it really doesn't belong.

i think that the museum would add a bit of aged things and the items there would not respawn so they are a 1 time use. They also break quiet fast but then would be cool to have those types of things in the game. It wouldn't be the most important priority in the game but a katana and a few other weapons would be cool to see. I see it as a valued tool. Not that it is the best or worst thing in the game but it is useful with its fair share of problems. Its just a random idea.

Its just a random idea.

That's one of the biggest problems with museum-esque additions or suggestions.  They are definitely awesome and I would love to use a Katana or run people over with a roman chariot but they don't really make any sense in the context of an average joe zombie apocalypse.