Some thoughts about armor

Tankred

Right now we can wear Torso, Legs and Feet.  Lets keep it to the avenues the game has already.  Lets set this straight.  There is a bite and then there is gnawing.  You get bite and you push them off, that is one thing.  You get bit and you cant get them off, you are in a whole new world of possibilities.  Most armor is going to keep you safe from the bite.  Your screwed at gnawing.  I am going to shoot with what I have used in the Army.  I am not going to go into helmets, goggles, visors or reinforced gloves as they do not have a paper doll effect in the game.

Chest

• Bullet proof vest - they are going to add some heat value, but they only protect the torso from front and rear.  Sides, shoulders and lower abdomen are all exposed.
  • Flack Jack - this is going to add a lot more heat value.  It protects the back of the neck, shoulders, under the arms, front and back.  Again, lower abdomen is exposed.
  • Door Gunner Jacket - this basically drapes over the shoulders and down past the front of the legs.  It is not meant to be moved around in and you wear it OVER a flack jacket (plus the bullet proof vest, for some missions).  It is restrictive, heavy and hot.  It protects the chest, abdomen and thighs.
  • Riot Gear - arm guards.  That is right, we just put on a bullet proof vest (and/or flack jacket), strap on a kevlar and strap these worthless plastic pieces to our arms.

Legs

• Riot Gear - Shin guards and "maybe" thigh guards (though I never saw thigh guards).  Most worthless.

Feet

• Leather combat boots, steel toe work boots, etc should provide a great layer of protection against a bite

Now lets get into something not really addressed, a shield.  It is something you can put between that joker gnashing at you and your unprotected neck.  If if they have to grab this and toss it aside, they are not grabbing you.  However, a sheild can also hang on lots of junk in an urban environment.  I would no more carry a riot sheild into combat with a zombie than I would a golf club.  They are plastic and mostly worthless.  You wanna jump through that window or jump over a fence carrying that jobbie?  Me neither.  However, if I was making my last stand at home... why not!  I would personally prefer a buckler built around my fist with spike on the downwarn thrust.  Give me a chance to stun one with a well placed blow or drop a screwdriver blade through the crown of their head.

I feel like some of you guys think armor is completely bullet proof, and does not degrade. Actually armor can only take very few high-caliber rounds (.45) before becoming a nice piece of soft clothing. Kevlar vests aren't exactly bullet proof, they just prevent penetration into the body. It still hurts like hell to be shot with them on, it can even break some bones. Kevlar weakens the older it gets, it doesn't stay strong forever.

Wikipedia isn't the best source, but its fairly informational about the subject. Especially the graph that shows certain types, and what they stand up to.

in the event of the zombie apocalypse im going with the suits they wear when training attack dogs, if it protects from a doberman a zombie has no chance :)

the BEST Armour would be police riot gear, big square shield and all, but this would turn your character into the superman of the apocalypse so wouldn't work for the game.

on a side note anyone can make chain mail (i know i have, and it took bloody ages) me and a friend made some chainmail shirts for a re-enactment group. all we had was some thick gauge wires, a few pairs of pliers, some bolt cutters, and a wooden spoon to wrap the wire round (it isnt the same as proper forged chainmail as the rings can open, which led to bodkin arrow points to exploit this) essentially you just make loads to Little rings and knitt them together it would be ideal for protecting against zombies.

whatever they do with armour i think the big downfall is going to the the usual problem with this stuff one time of armour will be clearly better than all the others which results in everyone's character looking the same which would really screw things up multiplayer.

i think the best combination would be a mix of all the things suggested, Armour classes that protect and weigh the same (light-leather-rubber-padded etc heavy - chainmain plate riot gear allowing for alot more aesthetic choice

and also of coarse things like stab proof vests,military vests (when they arrive)  (bullet proof are very uncomman here but im guessing they would be around in america lol

maybe even a few FBI or FEMA ones? (just make sure the FEMA ones dont spawn untill at least a week after the crisis :)

A bullet proof vest or a kelvar jacket can't stop a knife.  Neither of them stop the impact trauma behind the blow.  However, we are talking about teeth here or maybe the occasional window you jump through.

While the vise being put on you by the zombies mouth is bad, the vise is not what transmits the infection.  Breaking the skin with their nastyness is what does it.

If you can do enough damage to penerate the armor (at least past the surface layer), then you have nothing to worry about.  Unless you run through concertina wire, you should do ok.  A good pair of jump boots with vibrum soles will last a solid 6 months, and you only have to replace the soles.  That is a lot of wear and tear.

I recommend if you want to test how good something is, bite it.  See how it hold up.  I think biker leathers and the like will be a lot more advantageous that most sword swingers would expect.

I worked on a wiki site that discussed zombies and everything about them. This is all old material lol.

Any good material from it?

What surprised me the most was that a lot of older equipment could probably work pretty well for a hypothetical zedpoc if appied right. The reenactor types taught me that much.

The difference this game makes to the likes of DayZ is that you're still extremely likely to die even if you have things like riot gear. It doesn't require more than the 5 zombies on you or one well aimed close range shot. They're not definite life savers but rather things that bring down the probability by a notch. Basically you might be just as fine without armor, because you're faster, not sweating like crazy (maybe slower fatigue drain than with armor) and can carry more loot, than to be almost fully encumbered by wearing the armor. It's not like you'll be able to withstand one more bite or shot than the other guy without armor and count on that, it's just a bit more probable.

Semiofftopic:

Also military grade weapons aren't that effective when you're trying to get a head shot on a zombie... Also I think that the shotgun is already OP as I think it should kill maybe max 1-2 zombies per shot and just push the others back, not to talk about the sawn off... But I do agree mostly that in PvP military weapons and armor are a thing that should be extremely scarce. We have to remember that there are no definite spawn points in PZ and when we're in beta it should be discussed what the likelihoods of finding stuff in certain places are as to avoid exploits.

Personally, I think Day Z is broken and not much of a good reference for other games to use as far as balance goes. ou either have night vision, or you get boned by people with night vision and .50 BMG rifles from across the map. There's no armor, no revival or any mechanics to counter it at all.

Body armor will stop bullets from penetrating your vital organs within their design constraints. They can and will save lives. That's the point, and it should be reflected within the game in a similar vein, if not an exact mechanic. You can still get shot in the face and repeat rounds can cause varying types of armor to fail.

If you're the sort of person that gets into gunfights a lot, body armor is pretty important. What the game should strive to do to balance this, rather than neuter armor is to make avoiding gun battles a strong option. Avoid making PKing so trivially easy it turns into another Day Z, IMO.

As an aside, though a shotgun shouldn't really knock a humanoid over with a shot from a purely realistic perspective, but that might be a styllistic choice.

In response to your statement on military weapons, it's important to understand that much of what an Infantryman in the US military carries can be bought in some form in the US. You can own a machine gun, you can own a rocket launcher as a destructive device. Normal people can own AR-15s, plate carriers, kevlar armor, military-grade GPS (if not exactly military issue), radios and all that junk.

In that sense some military weapons are no different than civilian weapons for purposes of striking a small target. Colt sells semi-automatic configurations of its military rifles, as does FN, H&K and Stoner. Beretta sells M9s, Benelli sells it's M4, and so forth.

In my mind, I treat an M4 much like an AR-15. In a survival scenario, I have no need for three-round burst. However, it is a handy, lightweight and accurate weapon effective out to several hundred meters and competitive with any other weapon in it's class. A military wepaon might have fully automatic fire, but possessing one isn't really guaranteed to make a person more effective against zombies OR people.

• Bullet proof vest - they are going to add some heat value, but they only protect the torso from front and rear.  Sides, shoulders and lower abdomen are all exposed.
  • Flack Jack - this is going to add a lot more heat value.  It protects the back of the neck, shoulders, under the arms, front and back.  Again, lower abdomen is exposed.
  • Door Gunner Jacket - this basically drapes over the shoulders and down past the front of the legs.  It is not meant to be moved around in and you wear it OVER a flack jacket (plus the bullet proof vest, for some missions).  It is restrictive, heavy and hot.  It protects the chest, abdomen and thighs.
  • Riot Gear - arm guards.  That is right, we just put on a bullet proof vest (and/or flack jacket), strap on a kevlar and strap these worthless plastic pieces to our arms.

This is going to be really technical, but bulletproof vests as you call them have hundreds of variations that cover up different parts of your body to varying degrees.

A set of Interceptor Body Armor is going to cover your cardiovascular triangle and midsection front and back and a small portion of your sides from rifle fire, while the aramid fiber provides handgun and fragmentation protection to a larger area, which can include the shoulders and groin if the optional pads are added.

Whereas a KDH Plate Carrier only has hard rifle protection for the front and back but no kevlar. A Second Chance vest may not have any provisions to carry rifle plates. A TAG Banshee may have front-back rifle protection as well as kevlar backers. An Eagle SPC has built-in body armor, but removable plates on the sides. And so forth.

A bullet proof vest or a kelvar jacket can't stop a knife.  Neither of them stop the impact trauma behind the blow.  However, we are talking about teeth here or maybe the occasional window you jump through.

While the vise being put on you by the zombies mouth is bad, the vise is not what transmits the infection.  Breaking the skin with their nastyness is what does it.

If you can do enough damage to penerate the armor (at least past the surface layer), then you have nothing to worry about.  Unless you run through concertina wire, you should do ok.  A good pair of jump boots with vibrum soles will last a solid 6 months, and you only have to replace the soles.  That is a lot of wear and tear.

I recommend if you want to test how good something is, bite it.  See how it hold up.  I think biker leathers and the like will be a lot more advantageous that most sword swingers would expect.

I kinda have to disagree. These vests are marketed for police agencies that face guns as well as knives. The nylon casings for most body armor carriers are cut-resistant, and California even has a standard that issued body armor must be able to stop an ice pick in a regulated test.

The raw kevlar isn't very good against being pierced, like you stated but you're not going to slash open very easily. Kevlar is even used in lumberjack safety equipment and cut-resistant gloves. It's got very good abrasion resistance. So while someone who aligned a perfect stab with the right weapon could punch right through a vest randomly hacking at someone with a knife isn't going to be so effective.

I kinda have to disagree. These vests are marketed for police agencies that face guns as well as knives. The nylon casings for most body armor carriers are cut-resistant, and California even has a standard that issued body armor must be able to stop an ice pick in a regulated test.

The raw kevlar isn't very good against being pierced, like you stated but you're not going to slash open very easily. Kevlar is even used in lumberjack safety equipment and cut-resistant gloves. It's got very good abrasion resistance. So while someone who aligned a perfect stab with the right weapon could punch right through a vest randomly hacking at someone with a knife isn't going to be so effective.

The top of the line stuff sure.  However, most police department are on a shoe string budgets.  You either buy your own gear or you get it supplied.  Turning a cutting attack is one thing, stabbing is completely different.  An icepick can defeat all but the most modern armors (unless you catch a ceramic plate).  I have seen Cali's test and they will stop a pick from a stab to the chest (under a bunch of simulated conditions that read like a cook book).  Our department looked at them.  However, the cost for us was WAY to high for stop test that only worked if you were hit a certain way.  Did not protect the under arm or lower abdomen (did not protect the mid abdomed on some desk jockies, lol).  When you look at the annual budgets for expendibles we need to train and survive on the street (ammo, spray and tasers), car maintenance and bodies on the shift.... armor takes a lower priority.  While exceptional armor exisits, the acceptable level is what is used by most cops.

Now there are hundreds of different variants of ballistic armor.  However, a vast majory of the stuff out there being used by your cops on the street protects you torso.  Your neck is exposed, your flanks (especially armpits) and your lower torso.  We can plan the what if game all day long but that does nothing... considering we have three locations (torso, legs and head).

If you find armor, it should have a chance to protect based on the location modified by the condition of the armor.  Upper and lower arms, upper and lower legs, neck and head are pretty much unprotected.  Now if they add head to the paper doll we could put on ski masks, helmets, etc.  If they put hands, we can wear gloves.  Legs and arms... this is going to be some sort of home made, Road Warrior stuff that was blended from sports equipment, duct tape and moxie.

All we are looking to stop are tooth and nail.  I think most leathers would protect against the piercing damage from both.  Crushing/Impact trauma is anothing matter entirely.

Caveat - Look at what ballistic armor was designed to protect the wearer from, bullets.  It also give the greatest amount of protection to the kill zone of the wearer.  If it can stop major trauma and let you live long enough for back up and a bus, it did its job.

Getting down with the sickness... only takes a bad scratch.

in the event of the zombie apocalypse im going with the suits they wear when training attack dogs, if it protects from a doberman a zombie has no chance :)

the BEST Armour would be police riot gear, big square shield and all, but this would turn your character into the superman of the apocalypse so wouldn't work for the game.

on a side note anyone can make chain mail (i know i have, and it took bloody ages) me and a friend made some chainmail shirts for a re-enactment group. all we had was some thick gauge wires, a few pairs of pliers, some bolt cutters, and a wooden spoon to wrap the wire round (it isnt the same as proper forged chainmail as the rings can open, which led to bodkin arrow points to exploit this) essentially you just make loads to Little rings and knitt them together it would be ideal for protecting against zombies.

whatever they do with armour i think the big downfall is going to the the usual problem with this stuff one time of armour will be clearly better than all the others which results in everyone's character looking the same which would really screw things up multiplayer.

i think the best combination would be a mix of all the things suggested, Armour classes that protect and weigh the same (light-leather-rubber-padded etc heavy - chainmain plate riot gear allowing for alot more aesthetic choice

and also of coarse things like stab proof vests,military vests (when they arrive)  (bullet proof are very uncomman here but im guessing they would be around in america lol

maybe even a few FBI or FEMA ones? (just make sure the FEMA ones dont spawn untill at least a week after the crisis :)

1. Hilariously impractical, my earlier comments on why it would be.

2. Already discussed, please read earlier parts of the thread. It would hardly make you superman, having a mentality like that is how you become a supersnack.

3. Already discussed MANY times. The armor you made may be fine for re-enactments but would hardly hold up to daily general wear and tear, let alone zombie bites.

4. This is not the case, there are many differences between armor, protection isn't the only factor. 

5. I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

6. Would be very useful in NPC firefights but would be crap for zombie armor.

7. 110% realism here. (Would FEMA even have body armor?)

From what I gather. It depends on the situation. I think in this situation they might.

wouldnt the fema be more into structuring supply routes, reestablishing stuff and what not. I dont think they have riot gear... hasmat suits maybe

From what I gather. It depends on the situation. I think in this situation they might.

wouldnt the fema be more into structuring supply routes, reestablishing stuff and what not. I dont think they have riot gear... hasmat suits maybe

FEMA can hire some security agency who would be acting as protection who would be carrying guns and such, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that they have armor. The actual FEMA agents probably wouldn't, and I doubt they would even have Hazmat suits, I imagine that would be more CDC territory.

FEMA can hire some security agency who would be acting as protection who would be carrying guns and such, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that they have armor. The actual FEMA agents probably wouldn't, and I doubt they would even have Hazmat suits, I imagine that would be more CDC territory.

The vests probably wouldn't be labeled with FEMA though.

Nah they wouldn't. I never even thought about FEMA turning up in the game, not sure why. 

Nah they wouldn't. I never even thought about FEMA turning up in the game, not sure why. 

Probably would only be in Louisville though.

[snip]

The top of the line stuff sure.  However, most police department are on a shoe string budgets.  You either buy your own gear or you get it supplied.  Turning a cutting attack is one thing, stabbing is completely different.  An icepick can defeat all but the most modern armors (unless you catch a ceramic plate).  I have seen Cali's test and they will stop a pick from a stab to the chest (under a bunch of simulated conditions that read like a cook book).  Our department looked at them.  However, the cost for us was WAY to high for stop test that only worked if you were hit a certain way.  Did not protect the under arm or lower abdomen (did not protect the mid abdomed on some desk jockies, lol).  When you look at the annual budgets for expendibles we need to train and survive on the street (ammo, spray and tasers), car maintenance and bodies on the shift.... armor takes a lower priority.  While exceptional armor exisits, the acceptable level is what is used by most cops.

Now there are hundreds of different variants of ballistic armor.  However, a vast majory of the stuff out there being used by your cops on the street protects you torso.  Your neck is exposed, your flanks (especially armpits) and your lower torso.  We can plan the what if game all day long but that does nothing... considering we have three locations (torso, legs and head).

If you find armor, it should have a chance to protect based on the location modified by the condition of the armor.  Upper and lower arms, upper and lower legs, neck and head are pretty much unprotected.  Now if they add head to the paper doll we could put on ski masks, helmets, etc.  If they put hands, we can wear gloves.  Legs and arms... this is going to be some sort of home made, Road Warrior stuff that was blended from sports equipment, duct tape and moxie.

All we are looking to stop are tooth and nail.  I think most leathers would protect against the piercing damage from both.  Crushing/Impact trauma is anothing matter entirely.

Caveat - Look at what ballistic armor was designed to protect the wearer from, bullets.  It also give the greatest amount of protection to the kill zone of the wearer.  If it can stop major trauma and let you live long enough for back up and a bus, it did its job.

Getting down with the sickness... only takes a bad scratch.

lol. Mid abdomen XD

I hear ya. They gotta fit you right when you're seated as well as standing after all. I wouldn't count on a vest to stop a stab from a trained assailant, but I just thought it's not so easy to slash through them as pop culture makes it out to be. Personally I favor plates anyway, though I'm no fan of carrying them.

Perhaps deltoid protectors, groin pads and neck pads would be salvageable from sets of military armor? I believe that stuff is generally attached with velcro anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what most people are forgetting about in the discussions of body armour, is WHAT are you using the armour for? Lets take Project Zomboid as is, right now, for a good comparison. NPCs, multiplayer, etc, etc, are coming in the future, but not now.

Anyway. What exactly are you trying to do, you, the character, by wearing body armour? What are the dangers? What are you trying to protect yourself against?

- There is no-one shooting at you.

- There is no-one actively hacking, slashing, clubbing or stabbing you.

- Zombies are dumb. They move towards the player, pressing their body weight against them while trying to bite/scratch/gnaw.

Given these three criteria, military gear or bulletproof vests are essentially useless (Except as a source of raw materials. Tough fabric, industrial strength velcro, kevlar plates, etc). You're defending against a clumsy mass of reanimated human that is trying to bite, push you over, or pull you in close enough to bite. As such, any form of armour you would assemble needs to protect against low-impact strikes (e.g: fast zombie slamming into you), and make it difficult for impossible for a zombie to bite you. The armour exists to prevent that one bite that snuck through, or give a zombie something to gnaw on while you spin to drive a knife through its temple.

In short, the armour exists to buy you time. With the exception of a shield, you can't treat the armour as a form of offence. Take that walking dead image for example. Padded forearm guards. Take a few shirts, wrap them around your forearm, seal in place with duct tape. Yes, the elbow and wrist are exposed, yes, a zed will tear through the tape in seconds if it starts to gnaw. But those precious few seconds can give you the chance to shove the zombie clear, put something sharp through the brain, or even headbutt the damn thing if your desperate enough. Plus, some variation on this padded forearm guard could be used to smash open a glass window without fear of cutting yourself.

Think of it more as a way of reinforcing your clothes, rather than being a form of armour. Knee and elbow pads for that highspeed dash over concrete and windows. Being able to climb over barbed wire or the ragged edges of a glass window, and so on.

Ultimately, the best form of homemade 'armour' would be a comfortable set of long clothing, capable of taking all the abuse you throw at it, with all the loose/baggy sections held down with duct tape.

And now that I think I've forgotten the point of this long winded post (:P), it's time for a TL;DR.

TL;DR - Armour only exists to buy you a few precious seconds to REACT to an attack, not ward it off. Customising your survivor 'outfit' with padding, reinforcement and tape would mainly make it more durable/comfortable for all that mad running and screaming we tend to do :P

I think what most people are forgetting about in the discussions of body armour, is WHAT are you using the armour for? Lets take Project Zomboid as is, right now, for a good comparison. NPCs, multiplayer, etc, etc, are coming in the future, but not now.

Anyway. What exactly are you trying to do, you, the character, by wearing body armour? What are the dangers? What are you trying to protect yourself against?

- There is no-one shooting at you.

- There is no-one actively hacking, slashing, clubbing or stabbing you.

- Zombies are dumb. They move towards the player, pressing their body weight against them while trying to bite/scratch/gnaw.

Given these three criteria, military gear or bulletproof vests are essentially useless (Except as a source of raw materials. Tough fabric, industrial strength velcro, kevlar plates, etc). You're defending against a clumsy mass of reanimated human that is trying to bite, push you over, or pull you in close enough to bite. As such, any form of armour you would assemble needs to protect against low-impact strikes (e.g: fast zombie slamming into you), and make it difficult for impossible for a zombie to bite you. The armour exists to prevent that one bite that snuck through, or give a zombie something to gnaw on while you spin to drive a knife through its temple.

In short, the armour exists to buy you time. With the exception of a shield, you can't treat the armour as a form of offence. Take that walking dead image for example. Padded forearm guards. Take a few shirts, wrap them around your forearm, seal in place with duct tape. Yes, the elbow and wrist are exposed, yes, a zed will tear through the tape in seconds if it starts to gnaw. But those precious few seconds can give you the chance to shove the zombie clear, put something sharp through the brain, or even headbutt the damn thing if your desperate enough. Plus, some variation on this padded forearm guard could be used to smash open a glass window without fear of cutting yourself.

Think of it more as a way of reinforcing your clothes, rather than being a form of armour. Knee and elbow pads for that highspeed dash over concrete and windows. Being able to climb over barbed wire or the ragged edges of a glass window, and so on.

Ultimately, the best form of homemade 'armour' would be a comfortable set of long clothing, capable of taking all the abuse you throw at it, with all the loose/baggy sections held down with duct tape.

And now that I think I've forgotten the point of this long winded post ( :P), it's time for a TL;DR.

TL;DR - Armour only exists to buy you a few precious seconds to REACT to an attack, not ward it off. Customising your survivor 'outfit' with padding, reinforcement and tape would mainly make it more durable/comfortable for all that mad running and screaming we tend to do :P

Thats more for looting runs, safehouse defence is a different matter.

You WANT heavy-duty armour that can stand a beating. Heat, weight and mobility do not matter as much.

Wet suits are what I was referring to. Although of course it wouldn't be too common in small town KY. A more realistic solution for protection would be leather jackets and thick gloves.

Do you have ANY experience with wet suits? Even if you could find one, mobility would be restricted and you would die of heatstroke.  

Diver's suit. The end

-of you.

Hard to die of heatstroke when it's January. We're in an armor thread, mobility isn't something I was concerned about with my post. But still, our own military is effective when lugging 70+ pounds of gear/armor around Trashcanistan in 110+ degree weather so if our character is physically fit it shouldn't be an excuse to immediately right off the idea.