Suggestion truckload

LeonPolaris

First of all let me introduce myself. I'm a steam client, but I had spotted this game on the greenlight a while ago, but since my policy is to buy only games on steam (due to various reasons) I didn't buy the game.

However I stumbled across this in the steam page yesterday and I instabought it after watching 10 mins of a couple of LPs on youtube.

I have not played more than an hour (my 3 characters died horribly. I still need to get used to everything) however I have done a lot of lurking on forums and I believe that I have a bunch of suggestions (and yes, I have looked a bunch of them up)

#1 Military ending the game.

It is my knowledge that the game is always a downer ending, no matter how good you are. At the current stage of the game (no npcs) this won't be usable, but once NPCs do get added, I believe that this could be a good outcome.

Say that your quest to survive goes horribly well and you start rebuilding your house and start farming and hold a bunch of NPCs to rebuild, everything is fine, right? wrong.

Asuming that you work the whole game around and do work really well since the ground up, the outbreak could possibly be "contained" by the military in a quarentine zone, or at least it makes sense. (Just hear me out)

If that happens, what if the "director" you guys have in the game starts throwing less and less zombies around you? You'll feel a false sense of security, and it all goes to hell once you realize that the water and electricity you had (which I know can be cut off at certain times, but if you "control" the outbreak it might not be all that necesary that it gets cut by the zeds)  just spontaneously dissapears and you start hearing a lot of gunshots.

It was the lull before the storm. The army is moving in with a lot of dudes with guns to clear the area. It's game over, human style. The army is rolling downtown clearing everything in the area, and even clearing out survivors (cue a bunch of scenes where people lower their guns happy just to get shot in the face)

You COULD try to avoid the raids, but it'll be a matter of time before you get picked off.

#2 Broadcasting station

It is my knowledge (I'm from Argentina) that back in the cold war era, the states had a lot of nuclear shelters and procedures in the case of a nuclear war with the USSR. That means that the town should have some kind of broadcasting system in town (in the form of speakers) telling everyone to hide and take shelter.

That ought to make a lot of racket, and it might be interesting to see this implemented as a distraction for the zeds, or even as a way to comunicate with NPCs?

#3 Air drops

This is me kind of reaching out to Dying Light right now, but what if the military drops during the first couple of days/weeks some containers with meds and weapons or stuff that isn't normally found around (say, flares) which might be useful? It might also be a way to "control" your NPCs with food like the warlords in Somalia do nowadays (I have read a few threads about what your society will be with NPCs in the game.

Full out battles with other groups might take place for those drops.

#4 Sewers

I'm not sure if this one has been proposed, but it could be interesting, it might even be a man made tunnel between safehouses by NPCs?

#5 Remnants of the police force

The NPCs might not be police force themselves, but it could be nice to have groups of police make their last stand (a la RE:3 Nemesis) during the first couple of days. You'll even hear a lot of gunshots if you're around and you might want to get the hell out of dodge. If you're on the outskirts you'll see a lot less zombies around (It might even be a way to ease new players into the game, the first few days. Pro players will most likely want to go ASAP to town and steal weapons from the overrun positions.

#6 Smoke as a signal.

No I'm not talking about cherokees using smoke signals to comunicate, I'm thinking that if you light a fire other NPCs should see that a fire is there and will double time it there, either to help or not. Same for a house fire.

#7 Failed escapes

Maybe a way to tell you that there's no way out, would be to find crashed helicopters, cars, trucks swarmed with zombies. Say you wake up at 3AM hearing a lot of gunshots and suddenly a huge silence, followed by sparse gunshots. If you're quick enough you'll find the truck overturned and humans being devoured.

If it's a helicopter you'll unlikely find survivors, but you can scavenge stuff... and pray it doesnt start a fire.

If it's a car that crashed for example, you could try to scavange some fuel from it?

However I do believe that the game should encourage you to try and obtain means of transport like cars in an attempt to escape. Say for example your group of NPCs pushes you to do that, and you oblige, you find a car and fuel it up and ready it up. everyone gets set to go.

You'll inevitably end up in a bad situation since the game does not want you to survive, but it's either risking the NPCs leaving you alone, or trying to save them after the accident.

-.-.-.-

I hope you enjoyed these ideas, I'm going to be working on more ideas. I honestly don't enjoy the game too much at the current state (waiting for NPCs and multi) but I'll be lurking around!

Cheers

Leon

Bueno, mira, soy argentino, así que ni me gasto en escribir en ingles, sabiendo que esta respuesta es para vos y nadie mas. Muchas de las cosas que dijiste estan dichas que NO van a pasar, o SI van a ser añadidas. Las podes ver en este post: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Por lo demas, como los eventos de helis, o camiones están muy bien, lo de los policías lo van a añadir en un futuro pero como un grupo de 3, 4 o 5 npc's que van a ir peleando por ahí, matando too crazy.

Muchas de tus ideas están muy buenas, yo también lo vi en steam pero lo compre por desura hace 2 días porque te dan una key para steam, una key para desura (Osea te dan 2 copias!) y es un poco mas barato. 

Yo ya tengo como 29 horas jugadas (Si me pege un viciote tremendo) y leyendo la wiki ya tengo mi personaje de 2 semanas con base fortificada, granja, etc.

La wiki esta toda en ingles, pero como se nota que sabes, no va a haber problema en tu caso. Por lo demás esta todo dicho.

Saludos desde Bs.As.

FranK

Hey and welcome to the forums! I made a few points on your suggestions.

1. The game "story", if you will, starts from the quarantined muldraugh (the start of the epidemic) and spreads from there to the world. Your suggestion would do the contrary and would make this game not a zombie game, but a regular survival/shooter if there is one... The devs have said that there will be nothing to wipe out the epidemic and that's basically a last word on that subject.

2. That's an interesting idea. Here in Finland (at least in large residential areas) there are quite a few of these kinds of alarm systems to warn from possible air attacks etc. They have one in hearing distance of most large residential areas (I know this because they test them in certain intervals). In a small town like muldraugh it would be a pretty rare find, but I'd suspect that there might be one of these, maybe at a large building like the school or something.

3. Military aid is a confirmed no from the devs, so that won't happen.

4. Sewers and basements have been confirmed and will be implemented at some point. Yayy!

5. You will be able to find zombies in police, military, firemen etc. uniforms in the future this was discussed in a topic not that long ago. Specifically here.

6. This might be a hard thing to implement mainly because of the isometric view of the game. I don't really see it happening.

7. This is essentially the thing that is called the meta game. Random events happening creating a story and reacting with the surrounding environment with a plausible way. We don't know how in-depth this system will go, but it will be awesome!!

You should check out the Commonly suggested suggestions thread for future reference so that you'll know what things have already been discussed plentily. You can also use the magnifying glass on the top right to search for existing topics.

Again welcome to the forums!!

EDIT: Ninja'd in spanish... that's a first one :P

First of all let me introduce myself. I'm a steam client, but I had spotted this game on the greenlight a while ago, but since my policy is to buy only games on steam (due to various reasons) I didn't buy the game.

However I stumbled across this in the steam page yesterday and I instabought it after watching 10 mins of a couple of LPs on youtube.

I have not played more than an hour (my 3 characters died horribly. I still need to get used to everything) however I have done a lot of lurking on forums and I believe that I have a bunch of suggestions (and yes, I have looked a bunch of them up)

I'm going to wager that you actually didn't look up most of these, or you put minimal effort into searching as much of what you bring up is in the Commonly Suggested Ideas thread. I recommend reading through it.

It is my knowledge that the game is always a downer ending, no matter how good you are. At the current stage of the game (no npcs) this won't be usable, but once NPCs do get added, I believe that this could be a good outcome.

This game only has ONE ending, and that ending is death. The specifics surrounding that ending can vary greatly, but you die. There's no "winning."

Say that your quest to survive goes horribly well and you start rebuilding your house and start farming and hold a bunch of NPCs to rebuild, everything is fine, right? wrong.

"Horribly well"... That's like the term "excruciatingly beautiful" in that I don't like the clashing terminology. But I digress...

Asuming that you work the whole game around and do work really well since the ground up, the outbreak could possibly be "contained" by the military in a quarentine zone, or at least it makes sense. (Just hear me out)

If that happens, what if the "director" you guys have in the game starts throwing less and less zombies around you? You'll feel a false sense of security, and it all goes to hell once you realize that the water and electricity you had (which I know can be cut off at certain times, but if you "control" the outbreak it might not be all that necesary that it gets cut by the zeds)  just spontaneously dissapears and you start hearing a lot of gunshots.

It's not just a matter of the zombies. Power stations require maintenance and personnel to run them; they don't just... churn out power. I'd hate to be the bloke waking up every day to work at the power plant surrounded by hordes of undead.

It was the lull before the storm. The army is moving in with a lot of dudes with guns to clear the area. It's game over, human style. The army is rolling downtown clearing everything in the area, and even clearing out survivors (cue a bunch of scenes where people lower their guns happy just to get shot in the face)

You COULD try to avoid the raids, but it'll be a matter of time before you get picked off.

This idea is an arbitrary "fuck you" button to the player the he or she is not entitled to press. Firstly, I believe military personnel are confirmed to NOT be included into the game, secondly, this game doesn't have an "ending" as I've already stated and that's clearly what this is. I'd be pretty pissed if me and my group made it a few years then WHOOPS, DIRECTOR DECIDED MY GAME IS OVER, PEW PEW TRY AGAIN LAWL.

I'm not the only one, I'm sure. -1 for this.

#2 Broadcasting station

It is my knowledge (I'm from Argentina) that back in the cold war era, the states had a lot of nuclear shelters and procedures in the case of a nuclear war with the USSR. That means that the town should have some kind of broadcasting system in town (in the form of speakers) telling everyone to hide and take shelter.

That ought to make a lot of racket, and it might be interesting to see this implemented as a distraction for the zeds, or even as a way to comunicate with NPCs?

I believe what you're thinking of are air-raid sirens. There aren't any communities in America that I'm aware of that just have speakers set up all over to tell people what to do when shit goes awry. Televisions have an emergency broadcasting system, but aside from sirens, I've never heard of the system you speak of. I also can't think of or see many benefits to such a system.

#3 Air drops

This is me kind of reaching out to Dying Light right now, but what if the military drops during the first couple of days/weeks some containers with meds and weapons or stuff that isn't normally found around (say, flares) which might be useful? It might also be a way to "control" your NPCs with food like the warlords in Somalia do nowadays (I have read a few threads about what your society will be with NPCs in the game.

This is an idea that's been discussed many times before, and I can't for the life of me remember the verdict (if it even had one) but I don't care for the idea. From what I understand, the place has been quarantined and communication with the outside world is pretty much cut. Especially since it'd only be prominent in the early days, this would lead to people starting their games by trying to secure all the drops they possibly could before even worrying about other things, then simply starting over if they don't do a satisfactory job while the gettings are still good.

#4 Sewers

I'm not sure if this one has been proposed, but it could be interesting, it might even be a man made tunnel between safehouses by NPCs?

This has already been discussed and is in the commonly suggested suggestions thread. 

The NPCs might not be police force themselves, but it could be nice to have groups of police make their last stand (a la RE:3 Nemesis) during the first couple of days. You'll even hear a lot of gunshots if you're around and you might want to get the hell out of dodge. If you're on the outskirts you'll see a lot less zombies around (It might even be a way to ease new players into the game, the first few days. Pro players will most likely want to go ASAP to town and steal weapons from the overrun positions.

So you're asking for scripted stand-offs between the police and zombies at the start of the game? This serves no purpose and, from what I can tell by your description, you only want it in so you can start the game by looting all of their guns and ammo... -1

#6 Smoke as a signal.

No I'm not talking about cherokees using smoke signals to comunicate, I'm thinking that if you light a fire other NPCs should see that a fire is there and will double time it there, either to help or not. Same for a house fire.

What makes you think the NPCs will care about a fire that isn't attached to their own stuff? Obviously, a fire (especially a large one) would draw surrounding zombies... So why would ANY survivor without prior attatchments to the said blaze want to get in on that?

#7 Failed escapes

Maybe a way to tell you that there's no way out, would be to find crashed helicopters, cars, trucks swarmed with zombies. Say you wake up at 3AM hearing a lot of gunshots and suddenly a huge silence, followed by sparse gunshots. If you're quick enough you'll find the truck overturned and humans being devoured.

If it's a helicopter you'll unlikely find survivors, but you can scavenge stuff... and pray it doesnt start a fire.

If it's a car that crashed for example, you could try to scavange some fuel from it?

However I do believe that the game should encourage you to try and obtain means of transport like cars in an attempt to escape. Say for example your group of NPCs pushes you to do that, and you oblige, you find a car and fuel it up and ready it up. everyone gets set to go.

You'll inevitably end up in a bad situation since the game does not want you to survive, but it's either risking the NPCs leaving you alone, or trying to save them after the accident.

I genuinely have no clue what your idea is here. Have pre-scripted vehicular accidents that you can get stuff off of? -1. Vehicles are planned, beyond that, I don't see how having a car will make you "end up in a bad situation" as you put it.

-.-.-.-

I hope you enjoyed these ideas, I'm going to be working on more ideas. I honestly don't enjoy the game too much at the current state (waiting for NPCs and multi) but I'll be lurking around!

You say yourself you haven't even played it for an hour and can't survive well... Then you make a bunch of very short-sighted suggestions that seem to only impact the beginning of the game (Or the very end, which the game doesn't have until you meet your doom) and arguably make it easier to obtain goodies and supplies at the start. Then you go on to say that you AREN'T enjoying the game, and will most likely not do so until MP and NPCs are implemented when you can't even last long enough for either of those things to hold a meaningful impact on your game. 

My advice to you is play more and make use of more of the mechanics, like carpentry and farming. If you don't find survival more fulfilling once you're better at it, then it sounds like this simply isn't the game for you as you seem to desire much more action and commotion than PZ currently offers.

Cheers

Leon

I'm going to wager that you actually didn't look up most of these, or you put minimal effort into searching as much of what you bring up is in the Commonly Suggested Ideas thread. I recommend reading through it.

This game only has ONE ending, and that ending is death. The specifics surrounding that ending can vary greatly, but you die. There's no "winning."

"Horribly well"... That's like the term "excruciatingly beautiful" in that I don't like the clashing terminology. But I digress...

It's not just a matter of the zombies. Power stations require maintenance and personnel to run them; they don't just... churn out power. I'd hate to be the bloke waking up every day to work at the power plant surrounded by hordes of undead.

This idea is an arbitrary "fuck you" button to the player the he or she is not entitled to press. Firstly, I believe military personnel are confirmed to NOT be included into the game, secondly, this game doesn't have an "ending" as I've already stated and that's clearly what this is. I'd be pretty pissed if me and my group made it a few years then WHOOPS, DIRECTOR DECIDED MY GAME IS OVER, PEW PEW TRY AGAIN LAWL.

I'm not the only one, I'm sure. -1 for this.

#2 Broadcasting station

I believe what you're thinking of are air-raid sirens. There aren't any communities in America that I'm aware of that just have speakers set up all over to tell people what to do when shit goes awry. Televisions have an emergency broadcasting system, but aside from sirens, I've never heard of the system you speak of. I also can't think of or see many benefits to such a system.

#3 Air drops

This is an idea that's been discussed many times before, and I can't for the life of me remember the verdict (if it even had one) but I don't care for the idea. From what I understand, the place has been quarantined and communication with the outside world is pretty much cut. Especially since it'd only be prominent in the early days, this would lead to people starting their games by trying to secure all the drops they possibly could before even worrying about other things, then simply starting over if they don't do a satisfactory job while the gettings are still good.

#4 Sewers

This has already been discussed and is in the commonly suggested suggestions thread. 

So you're asking for scripted stand-offs between the police and zombies at the start of the game? This serves no purpose and, from what I can tell by your description, you only want it in so you can start the game by looting all of their guns and ammo... -1

#6 Smoke as a signal.

What makes you think the NPCs will care about a fire that isn't attached to their own stuff? Obviously, a fire (especially a large one) would draw surrounding zombies... So why would ANY survivor without prior attatchments to the said blaze want to get in on that?

#7 Failed escapes

I genuinely have no clue what your idea is here. Have pre-scripted vehicular accidents that you can get stuff off of? -1. Vehicles are planned, beyond that, I don't see how having a car will make you "end up in a bad situation" as you put it.

-.-.-.-

You say yourself you haven't even played it for an hour and can't survive well... Then you make a bunch of very short-sighted suggestions that seem to only impact the beginning of the game (Or the very end, which the game doesn't have until you meet your doom) and arguably make it easier to obtain goodies and supplies at the start. Then you go on to say that you AREN'T enjoying the game, and will most likely not do so until MP and NPCs are implemented when you can't even last long enough for either of those things to hold a meaningful impact on your game. 

My advice to you is play more and make use of more of the mechanics, like carpentry and farming. If you don't find survival more fulfilling once you're better at it, then it sounds like this simply isn't the game for you as you seem to desire much more action and commotion than PZ currently offers.

Cheers

Leon

You are a bit aggressive, I think...

Besides the vulgar language used, you do have some points.

However if your understanding of basic english language prevents you from deciphering number 7 I can't do much beyond that. The game, as you said, has only one ending. Death. So if vehicles will be added, as long as there's NPCs with half a brain, I believe that they'd want to get out of there to at least look for something/someone beyond the borders of the game. If you do have a group of NPCs and a vehicle I'm proposing that if you don't show plans to use it to get out of the place, the NPCs might try to take the vehicle and get out.

If you don't want it to be used you can either sabotage the vehicle or either believe that you might make it out (of course, you won't) but going with them will allow you to somehow save a few of the NPCs.

While the number 4 which I labeled sewers might have been proposed, I don't believe that man made tunnels branching from those sewers or making tunnels between safehouses or joining houses has not been proposed and if it has, I apologize.

Number 2 has no use? I'd like to show you the distractions thread that is just a few slots below this one, where there's a list of possible distractors for zombies. In regards to the system I'm refering to, take for example places where you find disasters like hurricanes often. (or a better example, dead island) broadcast systems could make noise "similar" to the shouting you can do to attract zombies. If you do work on the broadcast you can use them to go past zeds easily.

Alas, Number 1. The same way that I've seen people whine about losing the game because a dumb NPC got into their house drawing zeds to them, the game can also decide that your game could want to be over like that.

Say you start hearing the gunshots and decide to hide. If you do it properly, you can survive the military which could fail or something.

I'd suggest that you don't try to avoid cognitive biases from my introduction about not playing the game. I could play the game more and way better at it but I don't have the time for it right now which is why I'm limiting myself to watching the progress from the outside.

From the way that you answered each and every one of my points I can already tell that you have a heavy predisposition to disagree with me because I have not played the game enough and I'm kind of new, fair enough. I guess you're entitled to that bias, but by all means do not resort to vulgar or insulting language.

Cheers

Besides the vulgar language used, you do have some points.

I used the word fuck one time in the entire post. As far as I'm aware, I'm quite welcome to do that. If you feel slighted, say so. It's more effective than the passive aggressive approach. I'm quite a critic, and I'm very blunt. Some people don't like it, but I assure you what I say in the interest of this game is said with integrity and intended to invoke thought or discussion. I don't mince words. /Derail.

However if your understanding of basic english language prevents you from deciphering number 7 I can't do much beyond that. The game, as you said, has only one ending. Death. So if vehicles will be added, as long as there's NPCs with half a brain, I believe that they'd want to get out of there to at least look for something/someone beyond the borders of the game. If you do have a group of NPCs and a vehicle I'm proposing that if you don't show plans to use it to get out of the place, the NPCs might try to take the vehicle and get out.

So instead of trying to explain your idea in a way I'd understand or disregard my comment (or lack thereof) you're insulting me?  The entire area has been quarantined off and escape/leaving is not an option, at all. Not for you, not for the NPCs. There's no "getting out of the place." Have you ever seen that terrible Resident Evil movie with Nemesis? Think of if a little more along the lines of something like that.

If you don't want it to be used you can either sabotage the vehicle or either believe that you might make it out (of course, you won't) but going with them will allow you to somehow save a few of the NPCs.

While the number 4 which I labeled sewers might have been proposed, I don't believe that man made tunnels branching from those sewers or making tunnels between safehouses or joining houses has not been proposed and if it has, I apologize.

So you want to DIG underground tunnels from basement/safehouse/sewers to other locations? That's a seriously time intensive, laborious task. I don't think it's impossible, but I wouldn't say it's realistic to dig a very long tunnel anywhere. As for joining houses, as I said, try using carpentry. You can build your own fort from scratch of you really wanted, wall of yards, streets, etc.

Number 2 has no use? I'd like to show you the distractions thread that is just a few slots below this one, where there's a list of possible distractors for zombies. In regards to the system I'm refering to, take for example places where you find disasters like hurricanes often. (or a better example, dead island) broadcast systems could make noise "similar" to the shouting you can do to attract zombies. If you do work on the broadcast you can use them to go past zeds easily.

This game takes place in Kentucky. Kentucky isn't terribly big on natural disasters as far as I know, or expensive vacation resorts. Tornado sirens are a thing though. But those are just sirens. And I'm not sure how exactly they'd "distract the zombies" besides bringing every single one within a ridiculous radius to the city. Then you'd probably have to get out of the city.

Alas, Number 1. The same way that I've seen people whine about losing the game because a dumb NPC got into their house drawing zeds to them, the game can also decide that your game could want to be over like that.

That's not the same thing as a legion of death with automatic weapons whose sole purpose is to end your game because you were doing a good job for a little while. And the game doesn't "decide" that; that's just the theory of chaos making things happens AFTER the 1's and 0's spawned and began acting as they were instructed to act. Not to mention, their interactions were incredibly primitive and unrefined. The ONLY thing they did was make noise and draw zombies.

The way you described it reminded me of the original XCOM and how the aliens would attack your base and cut you down to size if you were doing too good at the game. That's basically exactly how you described it, only the "cutting down to size" is a bit more like "end your game."

Say you start hearing the gunshots and decide to hide. If you do it properly, you can survive the military which could fail or something.

So it's a random event that has a random chance if you do an arbitrary action to end your game or let it continue? But after the military have swept the area and blow away all of the zombies and other survivors (IF you survive in the first place) what's left? They kill the zombies, they kill the NPCs, there might be a fistful left hiding under rocks, but now the world is ultimately barren. I'm still -1 on this.

I'd suggest that you don't try to avoid cognitive biases from my introduction about not playing the game. I could play the game more and way better at it but I don't have the time for it right now which is why I'm limiting myself to watching the progress from the outside.

From the way that you answered each and every one of my points I can already tell that you have a heavy predisposition to disagree with me because I have not played the game enough and I'm kind of new, fair enough. I guess you're entitled to that bias, but by all means do not resort to vulgar or insulting language.

I'm afraid you're wrong, and I'd suggest that you not make assumptions about my reason or method of responding, especially since you're asking me not to assume things about yourself. If you knew anything about me, you'd understand that this is simply how I respond to lengthy or descriptive posts. But since you don't, you evidently feel offended by my reply. I'm of the opinion that your reply to me was more aggressive than my initial reply to you, as you directly insulted my intelligence and told me how I should behave. 

I have a foul mouth, and I'm afraid that's a part of who I am. I've been very tame, and I don't think the word fuck is against the rules to use on this forum. I used the word fuck one time in that post, and it wasn't referring to you; it was an analogy for one of your ideas and not even used in the undermining of your idea. Saying that I'm "resorting" to that language implies that I'm grasping to make a point with it, or using it to directly attack you. This is not the case. Victimizing yourself isn't an argument or an answer to my points, nor is it constructive. If you have an issue with my conduct, feel free to PM me about it. 

Cheers

6. This might be a hard thing to implement mainly because of the isometric view of the game. I don't really see it happening.

Think so? You can do it and NPC's/Zombies will approach to your base, and if a NPC do it the survivor can say "I see smoke in the south/north/west/east.

I don't really like the idea of having something in game that the player can't see or experience and then have the NPCs know about it. It breaks immersion and it's an unfair setting against the player.