More XP-boost options (+ extra suggestion inside)

Walther

So, I really started to use the books recently. I mostly just used the ones for level 1 to get me started nicely and then only used books when my char was bored...

Due to books and specific actions you can level cooking and crafting quite easily - in contrast to the other skills like running, sneaking and kicking ass with different weapons.

So maybe there could be different types of magazines that give you short term xp-boosts. (and I mean short term!)

for instance... you go into the fabulous enigma book store in WP and you find a magazine like runners world or a golf magazine, baseball magazine, etc. you can read it to cure boredom but you could also benefit from its information. like improve your swing (only with the golf club or the bat, depending on the magazine) or your running technique.

Other magazines could be "Cuttlery afficionado" or "Gunnut Magazine". I hope you catch ma drift.

Those benefits should only be temporal and not for the whole level.

I do yet have to find an magazine or book that would help one learn to sneak or to be nimble ^^

Extra suggestion because you were so nice and read that.

Right-click option for the ovens in the loot menu, as a workaround if the rightlick option for the oven directly is not showing or hard to find.

and uhm. a raincoat or an umbrella would be much appreciated. I caught a hell of a cold on the way from Muldraugh to West Point

EDIT: How about "cleaning your gun" as a task that makes your gun last longer and reduces boredom, needs information out of a magazine/book or at least gun-level 2 or something

no one? okay, I'll just see myself out

Walther, on 25 Nov 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

So, I really started to use the books recently. I mostly just used the ones for level 1 to get me started nicely and then only used books when my char was bored...

Due to books and specific actions you can level cooking and crafting quite easily - in contrast to the other skills like running, sneaking and kicking ass with different weapons.

So maybe there could be different types of magazines that give you short term xp-boosts. (and I mean short term!)

This is an idea directly from games like Fallout, correct? It never really sat well with me there, and I can't say it's fitting here either. First of all, how short is short term? You say it should be short, then emphasize VERY short without giving any sort of standard or measurement to consider.

for instance... you go into the fabulous enigma book store in WP and you find a magazine like runners world or a golf magazine, baseball magazine, etc. you can read it to cure boredom but you could also benefit from its information. like improve your swing (only with the golf club or the bat, depending on the magazine) or your running technique.

This paragraph makes more sense; reading information on a topic can help you improve or expand your knowledge regarding said topic. However, you still give no idea of how "short" this boost would be, or why it would even wear off. If you procure knowledge from a magazine, why does that knowledge last a matter of hours or minutes? It's what made made this idea irk me in Fallout, and I find it even less appropriate in this game.

Other magazines could be "Cuttlery afficionado" or "Gunnut Magazine". I hope you catch ma drift.

Those benefits should only be temporal and not for the whole level.

Again, you say it should be limited, with no sense of measurement or standard to consider. Or reason why. If I learn something that makes me better at carpentry from a magazine, why do I inexplicably get worse a little later on? It's a mechanic that makes zero sense to me, and I believe was put into place to subside someone's fury over being a few scant points from successfully doing the thing they're trying to do, such as Lockpick a door that requires 75 points when you've only put 70 into lockpicking. 

I do yet have to find an magazine or book that would help one learn to sneak or to be nimble ^^

Extra suggestion because you were so nice and read that.

As this topic was made exclusively for an idea regarding XP boosting, or so the title insinuates, tacking on a handful of other poorly described, half-baked after-thoughts afterwards will only result in the derailing of the thread and/or thinning out the discussion of the actual topic in question. It's a faux pas that you should try to avoid.

Right-click option for the ovens in the loot menu, as a workaround if the rightlick option for the oven directly is not showing or hard to find.

and uhm. a raincoat or an umbrella would be much appreciated. I caught a hell of a cold on the way from Muldraugh to West Point

EDIT: How about "cleaning your gun" as a task that makes your gun last longer and reduces boredom, needs information out of a magazine/book or at least gun-level 2 or something

Your other ideas have also been discussed and brought forward on several occasions, and I'm certain they're all covered in the common suggestion thread.

no one? okay, I'll just see myself out

I only stated my opinion and inquired about some of the specifics of your suggestion. There is still plenty of room for debate or discussion regarding this topic.

Just because -I- don't like an idea doesn't mean it won't work or cannot be compromised. 

you took it apart pretty well, and I guess it wasnt described well too.

I admit that a 5min xp booster would be weird, but you don't get worse after the boost would run out. you'd just learn a little slower because the information you just "absorbed" wouldn't suffice anymore for your further progress... 

maybe a smaller modifier, like 1,5 times the xp for the the level your are levelling atm until level up. 

• 2 weeks later...