Speedrunning in PZ

David

Before you say it, I know there's no end goal to the game other than how long can you go without dying.  I'm just curious if anyone sets out goals like "take over x" or "get to y" and attempt to do it as fast as possible, would be interesting to see how they'd do it given how the main flow of the game is for most players.

I won't lie, I've been debating making a pitch to Speedrun.com to create a PZ leaderboard, we'd have to figure out some category names. And we'd have to create the rules, considering that much like Minecraft Speedrunning, PZ has a fair amount of RNG with Loot Spawn and the such.

I personally like the idea of "survive x days", since while, it would be a challenge on its own, it would be more trying to find enough food as quick as possible, and trying to turtle up long enough to last as you sleep over and over to pass time.

(actually, might not be the best idea now that I think about it. Did they remove the ability to chain sleep?

1 hour ago, EnvyDemon said:

I won't lie, I've been debating making a pitch to Speedrun.com to create a PZ leaderboard, we'd have to figure out some category names. And we'd have to create the rules, considering that much like Minecraft Speedrunning, PZ has a fair amount of RNG with Loot Spawn and the such.

I personally like the idea of "survive x days", since while, it would be a challenge on its own, it would be more trying to find enough food as quick as possible, and trying to turtle up long enough to last as you sleep over and over to pass time.

(actually, might not be the best idea now that I think about it. Did they remove the ability to chain sleep?

Yeah you can't sleep unless you're actually tired, unless you have sleeping pills. 

4 hours ago, EnvyDemon said:

While I think that could also work I feel like "kill x zombies" or "clear our x town" would be a bit more easier to set up as well as more entertaining to watch. Though a question I must ask is how the rules around skipping time should be set up? Should they only be able to use it in certain situations? Is using walk to and speeding up time allowed? 

On 5/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, Hiertus said:

While I think that could also work I feel like "kill x zombies" or "clear our x town" would be a bit more easier to set up as well as more entertaining to watch. Though a question I must ask is how the rules around skipping time should be set up? Should they only be able to use it in certain situations? Is using walk to and speeding up time allowed? 

I don't think there should be any rules that prevent skipping time unless it just made the run boring to watch.  I also think the runs should be restricted to either Survivor/Apocalypse difficulty so that the zombies are actually a threat to the run since otherwise people would play on Construction.  It makes me wonder how a "Kill All Zombies" run would play out, you'd have to change the settings to disable respawning so it wasn't impossible but it'd be interesting to see how people would tackle that. 

Archived