Fuel stick action for gas stations

ZombieHunter

21 minutes ago, Toshis said:

I assume gas stations have gauges to measure pressure by default. The higher the level of liquid, the higher the pressure.

Fairly sure they just measure at time of delivery with a measuring stick then the driver dumps a set amount. After that it can just be dead-reckoned with a computer.

Could be wrong, I've no experience with this. Just feels like a mechanical system would have to be maintained and I can't imagine that'd be fun or cheap.

34 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Fairly sure they just measure at time of delivery with a measuring stick then the driver dumps a set amount. After that it can just be dead-reckoned with a computer.

Could be wrong, I've no experience with this. Just feels like a mechanical system would have to be maintained and I can't imagine that'd be fun or cheap.

Cant tell for sure how it was several decades ago, but today modern gas stations definitely have fuel level measuring devices installed in tanks. Fuel station operators can quickly check level of fuel in each tank without having to physically open the tanks.

edit:

Of course a crude way to open a tank and stick something inside to check the level should be possible :)

Edited by Toshis

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Toshis said:

Cant tell for sure how it was several decades ago, but today modern gas stations definitely have fuel level measuring devices installed in tanks. Fuel station operators can quickly check level of fuel in each tank without having to physically open the tanks.

edit:

Of course a crude way to open a tank and stick something inside to check the level should be possible :)

Its still done by  Fuel Stick.

The reason being 

1. Its 100% reliable. 

2. It can be done immediately on drop off

3. It doesn't require having special truck and special hoses so there is universal standard

The gauges you are thinking about is probably for Gas station owners to know if there is a leak

There is also a an audio sensor for the Driver to know when the tank is full  ( but in most cases the station owner orders a specific amount of gas, so its rare for it to spill.