Home on the Range

nasKo

Frank.jpg

Hey all, a dev blog in a similar vein to last week’s really – with Build 41’s internal dev server having the player/vehicle/server stuff pretty stable and consistent, but with the core members of the Multiplayer Strike Force off in another room hammering away at a better approach to the way client and server treat the zombies themselves.

The first part of this work, which places control of the zombies and their placement on the individual client rather than the server (details here) has been opened up to limited internal testing today – albeit with known issues like zombies showing incorrect behaviours after changing target, zombies not reacting to player sounds etc.

So far so good on this, though we haven’t had multiple players on the internal server yet – as it only went up a few minutes before this blog was posted. More next week on that front, then.

20210428205210_1-1024x576.jpg

We have, meanwhile, been carrying on with our Wednesday Night Tests – as the rest of the team have continued to add stuff to the usual internal test beta while Yuri and Andrei work in their separate chamber.

Last night we used the opportunity to bug hunt in a few new map locations that will be added at a later date, while other new stuff in the test build were:

• Equipped bags, and bags carried in hands, impacting on player speed.
  • Fuel stations no longer having unlimited fuel, and also having varied amounts of gas stored when you discover them.
  • Improved sneak and player LOS functions from last tests.
  • Park Ranger and Lumberjack finally getting their tree-walking bonuses.
  • Many and varied MP/sync issues that needed tying together – removing bullets, disinfection, nutrition values not being synced etc.

Here’s a quick vid of last night’s playtest. General changelist here.

Meanwhile, although anything new to show will probably have to wait till next week, Noiseworks continue with their sound overhaul and Turbo’s chatbox improvements rattle onward also.

(The latter is also now being coded with its potential dual use as an original Fallout style ‘event info’ box for SP to get textual messages and descriptions over to the player that we have always wanted in the game – though this element of it certainly won’t be a 41 thing).

image-4-1024x590.png

Apologies for not being an all-star Thursdoid this week, now the larger scale local client work has started to be fed in for testing things will hopefully start to pop again. (Pesky Russian public holidays notwithstanding).

Finally, a quick shout out to the return of our Mod Spotlight blog – which we’ll be doing on a monthly basis from nw on. This month Pat_Bren discovers that there is nothing (absolutely nothing) half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Finally finally – we also very much agree with this sentiment. Y’all rock.

This week’s reclining hero from Frank. A changelist of all IWBUMS patches since the 41 beta was released can be found here. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send you update notifications once builds get released. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too!

Love to hear about the new additions!

I was curious if there was an estimate to gas station fuel quantities, what kind of range are we talking about when it comes to how much or how little a gas station might have?

Either way, after my last playthrough living it up at the Riverside gas station for 18 months in Apoc., I started a playthrough with "generator working in exterior" turned off to live in a post-gasoline world. Looking forward to hearing more!

Edited by Sedgwick

I like the idea of gasoline supplies being finite. This is realistic and a welcome change. 

My concern is that there are no other practical ways to preserve food. We can use canning, but the jars and lids are also a finite resource and are very difficult to find. 

Could we add root cellars, zeer pots, and/or drying and smoking meats? These are ancient techniques and aren't limited to finite resources. 

We could also add fermenting veggies and salting meats (but those would use finite resources). 

Also, I gotta say it: Bicycles

Im quite interested in the idea of players names NOT always being above their head. Looking at those foggy screenshots makes me wish that those names just werent there. I think thatd be a lot more immersive and I think itd be a lot cooler to almost lose your friends in a crowd if you look away. 

Granted, this should be an option, but I think itd be a great one for public servers.

7 hours ago, Ziggylata said:

Im quite interested in the idea of players names NOT always being above their head. Looking at those foggy screenshots makes me wish that those names just werent there. I think thatd be a lot more immersive and I think itd be a lot cooler to almost lose your friends in a crowd if you look away. 

Granted, this should be an option, but I think itd be a great one for public servers.

Those screenshots were made by an admin who sees the names of all players in admin mode. 

The option of only displaying names when you see a character and are hovering over them is the default. 

Perhaps it would be possible to create a fuel crafting recipe?
P.S. Actually,just really really waiting for build 41 MP. Want to play together with my husband, my friends and make new friends too.ICannot wait!

15 hours ago, AnaVerse said:

Perhaps it would be possible to create a fuel crafting recipe?
P.S. Actually,just really really waiting for build 41 MP. Want to play together with my husband, my friends and make new friends too.ICannot wait!

same, so hyped for MP. i feel like its so close. its like a loading bar at 99% but each week it goes 99.1% 99.2% and so on

• 2 weeks later...

Please add a sandbox option for unlimited gas if you change it! Knowing the fact that there will be one day running out of gas would really suck when I’m playing a long-term sandbox. Yes, even if gas is limited there would be a lot, but there’s a huge difference between limited and unlimited. And if there’s really a lot of gas then why not just keeping it unlimited? People play the game with different styles and different goals especially for sandbox.

17 hours ago, Lqx said:

Please add a sandbox option for unlimited gas if you change it! Knowing the fact that there will be one day running out of gas would really suck when I’m playing a long-term sandbox. Yes, even if gas is limited there would be a lot, but there’s a huge difference between limited and unlimited. And if there’s really a lot of gas then why not just keeping it unlimited? People play the game with different styles and different goals especially for sandbox.

We're aware of that and there will be a sandbox option for it.