Suggestion: Finding previous player corpse

pathosfear

:-) "Humm, di dumm, dumm, looting is my thing, deep-uh-meep-meep, looting like a mindless sheep, not looking where I'm go..."

:-| "Oh... Uh, hey. Say, you look familiarz, have I seen you somewhere before?"

(tophat)"Uuuruuuurrrrghghhhhhhhggh!!"

:oops: "Im not comfortable with hugging..."

(tophat)"GRrrrRRRRrrrr!!"

:-| "Look, stay away alright!!"

(tophat)"GrrarrrrghhhhH!"

:mad: "OK, THATS IT, DIE YOU CLASSY LOOKING GUY!!!"

*Splat!*

(tophat)"Uurrrr..."

:-| "..."

:mrgreen: "Oh hey! Look at all this stuff you was carrying! Nice!"

----

Enough strained silliness. My suggestion is this: In sandbox-mode, when you die, your world is still the same, right? The houses you looted stay looted, the zombies killed stay killed, the smashed windows stay smashed, the boarded up doors stay... well, boarded up. There is just one thing that changes. The corpse of the character you played in your last play-through has vanished! Along with all the stuff he/she managed to loot!

My idea, that I humbly ask the community to offer feedback on, is that you can travel to the location where you died in your last play-through, and kill your zombiefied former self! And get some of your loot back! (Not all of it, because, hey, balance). To make it a bit harder, the smell of (relatively) fresh human meat has attracted a lot of zombies (which is why your former self is always a zombie even if she died from bleed-out, starvation, etc, as opposed to zombification.)

Your former self is just the same as any zombie, nothing special, only that he/she carries some of the stuff you were carrying previously.

This idea sound familiar?

Yes, OK, I shamelessly ripped it off of "ZombiU" a game for the WiiU that I much enjoyed.

Still, I think it is a nice twist to the sandbox mode :) What do you think?

(I hope this hasn't been suggested before, I tried searching, but couldn't for the life of me think of single words to summarize my idea. Old corpse, player corpse, etc., didn't give me any results.)

so kind of like how diablo works where you can go loot your own corpse? - of course assuming you died from infection you get to kill the zombie you turned into.

I certainly like the idea of continuous play in persistent map across deaths, it would certainly be interesting to try, although I would probably suggest the "new" player character spawn in with a generated set of loot based on the number of days survived including injuries, ect. just to keep the idea that yes time is still going on and you are just in a survivor who has been suriving in the same area but is still alive... unlike your previous corpse.

would work well as another game mode. 

so kind of like how diablo works where you can go loot your own corpse? - of course assuming you died from infection you get to kill the zombie you turned into.

I certainly like the idea of continuous play in persistent map across deaths, it would certainly be interesting to try, although I would probably suggest the "new" player character spawn in with a generated set of loot based on the number of days survived including injuries, ect. just to keep the idea that yes time is still going on and you are just in a survivor who has been suriving in the same area but is still alive... unlike your previous corpse.

would work well as another game mode. 

I see what you mean out of a perspective of "Other people have been surviving at the same time as previous characters", however, starting with loot kind of takes away the challange, as opposed to going out, loot some guns, meds, food and water, and go search for your previous corpse, and kill the horde of zombies around it :) Perhaps the old-you zombie has wondered off and isn't exactly where you "left it" and you have to scout around?

My idea is a bit more challange, and challange is what I like about this game. To most zombie games it's just a matter of time before you find "the trick" that makes killing zombies as challanging as stomping ants. This game, not so much, at least not yet (for me). My record is surviving 8 days.

I thought this was already in the game.  :shock:

If it isn't I think it must at the very least be something they are going to be doing.

I have tried going back to my old death point, and the dead zombies I managed to kill are still there, but not the corpse/zombie of my old character :(

I wasnt suggesting the new player be in a good place when you take over them, I mean they might have survived for 15 days and only have a jar of peanut butter and be wearing some shoes, also be somewhat wounded as well. 

you know, idea being you have taken over someone who while not doing as good as you were, is however still alive and determined to remain so.

a new player character would probably be spawning with a certain possible table of loot, and based on the days since the game in question started they would a certain chance of having certain items and certain kinds of damage or ill effects.

so it would basically be a crappy survivor your taking over type thing. and therefore... more challenging. because you after all would have the bonus of access to your old safe house assuming its not swamped in zombies.

as well as knowing where all your stashes were.

so starting off in a bad way would kind of even out with that kind of advantage If it was me anyhow. depends how you play.

I thought this was already in the game.  :shock:

If it isn't I think it must at the very least be something they are going to be doing.

I have tried going back to my old death point, and the dead zombies I managed to kill are still there, but not the corpse/zombie of my old character :(

Did your character die, die. Or did they become a zombie. Because if they became a zombie they might of just shuffled off somewhere. :)

I wasnt suggesting the new player be in a good place when you take over them, I mean they might have survived for 15 days and only have a jar of peanut butter and be wearing some shoes, also be somewhat wounded as well. 

you know, idea being you have taken over someone who while not doing as good as you were, is however still alive and determined to remain so.

a new player character would probably be spawning with a certain possible table of loot, and based on the days since the game in question started they would a certain chance of having certain items and certain kinds of damage or ill effects.

so it would basically be a crappy survivor your taking over type thing. and therefore... more challenging. because you after all would have the bonus of access to your old safe house assuming its not swamped in zombies.

so starting off in a bad way would kind of even out with that kind of advantage If it was me anyhow. depends how you play.

You know what, I like your idea! But it's more of an idea of it's own rather than feedback or addition to my suggestion :) And as far as Im concerned, both our suggestions should be concidered, but perhaps yours would get more attention if you post it as your own thread? Both ideas would compliment and enhance the feeling of immersion in the sandbox mode.

Did your character die, die. Or did they become a zombie. Because if they became a zombie they might of just shuffled off somewhere. :)

I have only ever been killed by zombies or infection, but havent found my own corpse... If it is as you say, my suggestion is kinda pointless though XD The only suggestion in that case is to add more challange to killing your old self zombie, by making the deathpoint swarmed with zombos, attracted by the pitiful death squeals from your old self XD

Have you yourself found your old corpse/zombie?

*EDIT* Did a failsafe test, tried dying right near where you generally spawn, and sure enough found my corpse... Strange, I never found it before :S Do the corpse zombiefie too?

eh and let the PZ devs steal all my shiny zombie game mechanic ideas!? NEVA!

grumble bored game designer is bored and forum spamming :P

I have sooo many ideas i try to limit them to one or two per day or so unless im commenting on someone elses ideas that is :P

otherwise I have a tendancy to flood forums with posts and that always looks kinda bi-polar or something.

but yeah, the base idea your suggesting is good, but the only problem with it is, it would be really really really hard to tell the difference between your corpse and the other 30+

how would you suggest making the fact that it's your own corpse more obvious without immersion breaking things like objective markers ect.

(not taking into account the likelyhood the devs will allow us to craft armour and therefor obvious armor on a zombie is obvious enough)

you know current state of the game type thing

eh and let the PZ devs steal all my shiny zombie game mechanic ideas!? NEVA!

grumble bored game designer is bored and forum spamming :P

I have sooo many ideas i try to limit them to one or two per day or so unless im commenting on someone elses ideas that is :P

otherwise I have a tendancy to flood forums with posts and that always looks kinda bi-polar or something.

but yeah, the base idea your suggesting is good, but the only problem with it is, it would be really really really hard to tell the difference between your corpse and the other 30+

how would you suggest making the fact that it's your own corpse more obvious without immersion breaking things like objective markers ect.

(not taking into account the likelyhood the devs will allow us to craft armour and therefor obvious armor on a zombie is obvious enough)

you know current state of the game type thing

Well, I would just remember exactly how my character looked like XD

If there was any kind of writing/journals implemented in the game, perhaps start with a journal detailing that you saw another survivor being swamped/passing out from hunger/dehydration/sickness, but you couldnt help, and detail where you last saw him/her, and a mental note to go see if he/she is OK? (Or was carrying any loot... Or your plans to murder him/her for loot... Depending on flavour)

Hmm... Well I'll see if I can get myself zombified too, and find my old zombie. Ill go shirtless, that would make me stand out as a zombie.

You know what, I like your idea! But it's more of an idea of it's own rather than feedback or addition to my suggestion :) And as far as Im concerned, both our suggestions should be concidered, but perhaps yours would get more attention if you post it as your own thread? Both ideas would compliment and enhance the feeling of immersion in the sandbox mode.

I have only ever been killed by zombies or infection, but havent found my own corpse... If it is as you say, my suggestion is kinda pointless though XD The only suggestion in that case is to add more challange to killing your old self zombie, by making the deathpoint swarmed with zombos, attracted by the pitiful death squeals from your old self XD

Have you yourself found your old corpse/zombie?

*EDIT* Did a failsafe test, tried dying right near where you generally spawn, and sure enough found my corpse... Strange, I never found it before :S Do the corpse zombiefie too?

I think they do. Though I'm honestly not certain, I've personally never found my own body, but I always here people on the forum talking about how they found theirs so I just figured it was already in. :)

you can loot your dead body if you select play on a game where you died, make a new caracther and get there . it work in survival and in sandbox, ive confirmed it on both instance, but when you make a new game in an existing world , every food in every fridge get rotten.

• 2 weeks later...

lol your reanimated corpse probably would have stood up and wandered far away by the time your other character got back there. doesnt it fast forward like 6-8 days when you start a new character on the same world?