Game won't start after switching off of Integrated Graphics

TemperedTurnup

Hi all! I've been playing Project Zomboid for quite a while now, I think a year and a half now, and I haven't had this problem until now. Recently about 2 weeks ago I updated my computer to the latest version of Windows 10 but it broke my computer, I couldn't read anything and it basically ruined fonts. So I reverted back to the prior version, this set most of my games to run on my Integrated Graphics on my CPU, I didn't notice until I started Zomboid and it was really laggy, I checked and there it was, the game was set to use GPU-0 (my integrated graphics). I set the program to use high performance GPU in my windows graphics settings, and after that the game wouldn't start. I reverted back to integrated and the game starts, so I've deduced that the GPU it's running on is the issue. 

I've looked all over, and I haven't found anyone with a similar issue, I looked on YouTube, the forums, and even steam. So I registered an account on the forums and decided to make this post.

I would personally like to sort the issue out and find a way to get the game to run on my GPU instead of integrated graphics because I tend to use some pretty system intensive mods in game that require a stronger graphics card to run. I will list my system specs below.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 @ 2.80GHz    
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
    Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B360M BAZOOKA (MS-7B24) (U3E1)    
Graphics
    SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz)
    SB220Q (1920x1080@75Hz)
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 (MSI)   (the integrated graphics)
    3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (MSI)   (graphics card I would like to use)
    ForceWare version: 465.89
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0 (SATA )    (The Drive I have the game loaded on.)
    223GB Western Digital WDC WDS240G2G0A-00JH30 (SATA (SSD))

NOTE: I have been able to run the game on this Graphics Card in the past and the game has run smoothly on it.

9 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

That’s the nvidia driver, not the Intel driver.

Okay So, I updated my intel driver (even though it's the integrated graphics and I DON'T want to run the game on that) and the game still doesn't start. What'll happen is steam will say the the game is running, a console will open up, then close very quickly and steam will then say the game is not running. Even though the entire time, it was never running in the first place.

19 hours ago, Beard said:

In that case can you try going to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and attaching the "logs.zip" file found there to your next message? It would contain the game log files and we could check if there is anything preventing the game from starting there.

Hi all! Update, I switched back to the integrated graphics because I really wanted to play, and the game actually started up. HOWEVER, On the main menu there were no prompts i.e. no "Continue" option or "Load" option etc etc. Rendering the game once again unplayable. As requested I have attached the logs.zip file to this message, thank you all for your help.

logs.zip

Its most likely that mods can cause that, or a bug that happens when switching between game versions. To fix it you need to go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" again and delete the "Lua" and "mods" folders and see if that helps. I did check the logs for the dedicated graphics card and It seems to crash when creating the resolution. Do you perhaps have a multi-monitor setup? Or if you have a PC is the monitor plugged into the proper port? It should be plugged into the graphics card port and not the motherboard.

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Its most likely that mods can cause that, or a bug that happens when switching between game versions. To fix it you need to go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" again and delete the "Lua" and "mods" folders and see if that helps. I did check the logs for the dedicated graphics card and It seems to crash when creating the resolution. Do you perhaps have a multi-monitor setup? Or if you have a PC is the monitor plugged into the proper port? It should be plugged into the graphics card port and not the motherboard.

Beard I cannot thank you enough! Originally I wasn't the person who built my PC nor do I know how to build a PC, I only know the bare minimum. Recently I thought it would be a good idea to move my computer under my loft bed to save room in my bedroom, I had to unplug my monitors for this (I use a normal 1920x1080p 75hz acer monitor and an old Samsung tv as my secondary monitor). When I un-plugged my and plugged back in my monitors I had put my TV's HDMI cable into my graphics card and my Monitor into my mother board (fml). Also, deleting the Mods and Lua folders helped solve the issue, as far as I can tell the game is running just like it used to and now I can hop back into the cruel world that we all enjoy so much, Zomboid. Thank you so much!