Xbox One Controller Moving Axis do not works in Linux Native build

Manied

Hello dear !

I'm really enjoying the Build 41. But there is a problem : I played with my brother in shared screen and I couldn't play in the Native Linux build with my controller.

My computer is running OpenSUSE Leap 15.2, everything in the game runs fine, but when I plugged my controller on, the axis for moving was really weird.

Let's me explain : The move, normally, it's the left joystick, right ? But with this bug, only Left Joystick X axis was to move left and right. But Y axis wasn't on the left joystick. To move down I need to press "Start". To go up ? I don't even know, I never found how to move completely.

So, before saying my specs, I will tell you that the problem is solved when I use the Windows build with Proton, everything works fine

There is my specs :

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard : Gigabyte AORUS B450 M

GPU : RX 580

RAM : XPG 2x8GB 3200MHz

Storage : 1x XPG SX8200 1TB and 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Where is my controller plugged : in one of my 3.0 USB port in the Motherboard IO

What is my controller : PDP Wired Controller for Xbox One - Black Camo (here on Amazon.ca)

PS : I couldn't change my controller binds, because I do not have any interface, and I don't know the config files attributs by heart. But I checked and all X and Y axis were in the joystick.

Edited by Manied
I found how to show up the mods :)

You should be able to go to "Home\Zomboid\joypads" and edit the controller config file there. You can also go into the game Options and test out the controller in the Controller tab.
Lastly, does the controller work fine in any other apps or in your controller setup?

3 hours ago, Beard said:

You should be able to go to "Home\Zomboid\joypads" and edit the controller config file there. You can also go into the game Options and test out the controller in the Controller tab.
Lastly, does the controller work fine in any other apps or in your controller setup?

I tested the controller in the PZ utilies and all axis are reconized as they should be. I'll send you the controller.config that I have, but I guess that it is all good. I don't know the axis used and their names, so I don't know how to correctly modificate the file. And to answer to your last question, I never (really) test others game, but in the only other game that I test, everything was fine. In PZ the controller works, but it's the moving binding that aren't setted correctly.

PS : I have 4 config files : GamepadName1.config, Microsoft X-Box 360 pad.config, PDP Wired Controller for Xbox One- Stealth Series.config and Steam Virtual Gamepad.config. Since I only check the PDP controller's box in PZ, I only send you it.

PDP Wired Controller for Xbox One - Stealth Series.config

The config does look fine so I am not sure what would cause the game to use the start button to move up for some reason. Could you try launching Steam Big Picture and setting up your controller there? After that launch the game through the Big Picture, it should use the Big Picture settings and could fix this problem.

10 minutes ago, Beard said:

The config does look fine so I am not sure what would cause the game to use the start button to move up for some reason. Could you try launching Steam Big Picture and setting up your controller there? After that launch the game through the Big Picture, it should use the Big Picture settings and could fix this problem.

It doesn't works. I go on Big Picture and check "Xbox Controller" and "Generic Controller", but it's changing nothing. I tried if it was my checked's controller, but either Generic and Xbox do not work. In Native Linux build moving with the joystick doesn't work, but in the Windows build running with Steam Proton, it works perfectly. I think it's maybe a bug, that's why I put it in the Bug report section.

There is all I tried :

- Using Steam Big Picture to launch the game

- Configure the controller on Big Picture

- Try to check/uncheck each controller and test, also check all the controller and try to play. Both do not work.

- Deleting the configs file to regenerate each one

- Try to run the xinput command (I got all my peripherals showing up, including the controller)

The only way to successfully play in splitted screen is to use Proton. But I cannot use mods, because the game crashes right after I load a save.