Endgame Ideas & Goals

Pogo

After I reached a certain point in the Vanilla Sandbox, it becomes kind of boring. Since I got my endgame Gear, build a sustainable Base with generator running and Water supply, Bed, etc. I began decorating my house.  I drove to other Cities because in Riverside where no building with certain floor titles and so on. But even after that time sink I just came up with kind of “boring” ToDos like:

-          Max out each skill tree

-          Build A Garage

-          ?

That’s it. Nothing more to Do.

In my Optionion the Game (Endgame) would be MUCH better if such things where happening:

-          Zombie Hordes will Attack your base, they are increasing in numbers and stronger, and they will come in more or less predictable Timeframes.

Resulting ToDo: Reinforce your base, (missing) Build Defensive Structures, Maybe Landmines, maybe Kind of Traps, maybe even Turrents you can Build.

-          Weather or other Effects will affect your base health. Like Blizzards, Thunderstroms, Fires, and you have to counter those.

Resulting ToDo: Build Fireproof Defences, Heating for Blizzards, ....maybe stronger materials for buildings

Other ideas that came to my mind….

-          Make Building more realistic / more flexible e.g.  Piping from from multiple barrels to one Sink or to multiple other targets of water supply, (Auto) Watering Structures for Farming, Electrical Switches for Lamps, Ceiling Lamps a kind of missing, also the wireing from generator to specific devices Is currently “to easy” (because there is none)

-          I want to build Streets

-          A Way to store bigger amout of gasoline (maybe build Tanks)

-          Toilet has no function, my character should have SH**T his pants like 50 times by now

-          BTW where goes the dirty water ?

-          Maybe implement Dogs for Security  inside the Base

-          Achievements would be a nice addition too

-          Why are there only Wooden Doors for the Player Base ?

-          Im missing Plaster in Hardware stores in large numbers

-          Would be cool if  there would be a train that drives from city to city....but i have no idea who will drive the train =)

-          Rare Vehincle Spawns (that motivate players to explore more)

-          Car Tuning (defensive Purposes)

-         Maybe Winter Tires / Summer Tires / All-Weather Tires 

-          Rare Car Parts (like a really good motor, better light, better tires, breaks,...)

-          Would be cool to reinforce walls / Doors with multiple layers of base material (e.g wood)

-         Collecting Titles for nicer Floors seems unrealistic.  They are too heavy if you ask me 1 would Reduce their weight to 2 or 1  (instead of 3)

-         Would be cool to have something like a Pushcart to transport wood a shorter distance

-         Generally i would introduce Rare Loot ontop of the existing loot table. So that there are "rare" versions of each cloth (with better stats)

-         Washing yourself is currently purely optional ? Would be interessting to see that you smell attracts zombies, an the longer you are not taking a shower the bigger is you smell radius - including that you leave a smell-trace zombies are following (could  be a reason to wash yourself more often, or use some sort of cologne)

-        Introducing mosquito bites, that can lead to an infection  (maybe even a trait that makes that worse via allergy) if you are living near water / wood there should be more mosquitos (but less zombies) - maybe countered by repellent

-        remote control for opening gates at your base (so that you dont have to leave the car) - e.g. honk for Open

-        i mostly ran around with a machete and didnt use guns at all. But they should be usefull somehow. Shotgungs for bigger groups. Maybe you need other kind of zombies or animals that better be killed in a certain distance. Weapons would be also pretty usefull for base defence - if you are able to shoot through fences or can build structures to shoot from above over wals etc.

- if you could have more than one electric ciruit you could make on for permanent use (e.g. fridge) and one for the night (e.g. light)

Bugs in 41.50

- Tiles build on Ground cant be removed (e.g. Wooden Floor)

- Some kinds of Gras (the brownish ones) cant be removed (so they stuck out of a e.g. Wooden Floor

- Car Heating cant be repaired ?

- Light bulbs (for Cars) have no indicator of their quality status (only visible when you want to install them again via the context menu, but not in invetory)

Edited by Pogo

• Pogo changed the title to Endgame Ideas & Goals

I think the endgame is to survive.

How we can make this more challenging in the endgame is to force the player to be always on the move, instead of finding a definitive safezone. Maybe the devs can get creative with that

A lot of these are cool, but fundamentally impractical ideas, unfortunately.

I am a fan of the idea that your base or chosen home might need to be maintained based on weather and time, like fixing or replacing planks over windows, or just performing upkeep on certain things if damaged enough by Zombies.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, Pogo said:

-          Toilet has no function, my character should have SH**T his pants like 50 times by now

If you mean the water you use after washing bandages, it might be safe to assume you disposed of it. I wouldn't drink potentially contaminated water even after boiling it. Much better to just use it to flush your toilet manually and boil yourself some new water, if the water's been shut off already.

Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather keep the toiletries out of the base game. As immersive as it might be, with days last only an hour at default, it'd very quickly become a pain to manage your character's needs as if they were a Sim.

-         Washing yourself is currently purely optional ? Would be interessting to see that you smell attracts zombies, an the longer you are not taking a shower the bigger is you smell radius - including that you leave a smell-trace zombies are following (could  be a reason to wash yourself more often, or use some sort of cologne)

Pretty sure that's already the intended mechanic, though I also have my suspicions that cleaning yourself might also help you avoid infection from minor wounds in the future.

-        i mostly ran around with a machete and didnt use guns at all.

Yup, that's actually the way to do it, believe it or not. Ammo is scarce and finite, but melee will always be a reliable go-to for dealing with everyday encounters. That's kind of the spirit behind surviving the zombie apocalypse.

-        Introducing mosquito bites, that can lead to an infection  (maybe even a trait that makes that worse via allergy) if you are living near water / wood there should be more mosquitos (but less zombies) - maybe countered by repellent

Please, God, no.

We had a conversation on potential end game stuff previously and a few of us were talking back and forth about end game being about creating/salvaging a radio tower and trying to collect survivors. Perhaps depending on chosen skills the player could develop other tow tech but game changing constructions. Perhaps a river-side waterwheel for mechanical power.

An end game of collection and trying to maintain a small community of the resistant survivors would provide lots of extra flavour for the player after establishing a base in the wild, a couple vehicles and a couple town safe homes. Keeping yourself alive is one thing, how about a group?

There are mods that have some of this, allowing you to go out and potentially collect survivors in the wild

On 4/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, Pogo said:

In my Optionion the Game (Endgame) would be MUCH better if such things where happening:

-          Zombie Hordes will Attack your base, they are increasing in numbers and stronger, and they will come in more or less predictable Timeframes.

Zombies won't get stronger later into the game; they'll decompose and become weaker as NPCs and bandits will end up being the real threat that late into the apocalypse. But I would like zombies to wander or attack more. They just seem to not do so. At least not enough to be much of a threat once the helicopter event happens. Numbers are their strength after all.

Resulting ToDo: Reinforce your base, (missing) Build Defensive Structures, Maybe Landmines, maybe Kind of Traps, maybe even Turrents you can Build.

Not happening. The game is set in 1993, you're not going to be building turrets as a random Kentuckian. Traps like holes that zombies could fall in and maybe sound traps like tin cans on a wire and such would be more fitting for Zomboid specifically.

-          Weather or other Effects will affect your base health. Like Blizzards, Thunderstroms, Fires, and you have to counter those.

Resulting ToDo: Build Fireproof Defences, Heating for Blizzards, ....maybe stronger materials for buildings

I mean we already have most of these weather effects(?). Winter that you need to counter with clothing protection, thunderstorms, fog etc... Unless I'm not really understanding.

Heating has been mentioned in a blog though.

Other ideas that came to my mind….

-          Make Building more realistic / more flexible e.g.  Piping from from multiple barrels to one Sink or to multiple other targets of water supply, (Auto) Watering Structures for Farming, Electrical Switches for Lamps, Ceiling Lamps a kind of missing, also the wireing from generator to specific devices Is currently “to easy” (because there is none)

-      Why are there only Wooden Doors for the Player Base ?

Yes I'd love to be able to build or construct every base game object through carpentry/metalworking/electrician. Floating lightswitches, wooden doors and the like are annoying when we can rebuild, plaster and paint a house. It's a unique part of the game that if added to in that way would make it so much better. I've had a gripe with this since my friend and I rebuilt his house that burned down, but could only go so far with our skills.

-          I want to build Streets

A bit optimistic ;)

Something to hold it I guess could be nice, though more rudimentary than tanks. I'm not sure where we're going (or if we're going) with gasoline ever spoiling.

That's a resounding no.

?

Animals and dogs are planned, at least. Fair to imagine they won't be static security dogs though, and just 'dogs' that behave of their own accord. They are planned to be possible pets though.

Probably some time after the game goes 1.0.

Loot distribution is being addressed in the next update.

Would be cool if  there would be a train that drives from city to city....but i have no idea who will drive the train =)

Eh... Maybe more boxcars on tracks or knocked over to add to the empty railroad. Doubtful they'd bother doing a train model either just for it to be nonfunctional. This idea doesn't fit the game.

Rare Vehincle Spawns (that motivate players to explore more)

Not sure what you mean by this exactly. There's sports cars in the game that are rare enough to find.

Car Tuning (defensive Purposes)

Planned.

-         Maybe Winter Tires / Summer Tires / All-Weather Tires 

Not a bad idea.

-          Rare Car Parts (like a really good motor, better light, better tires, breaks,...)

Kind of already have this? 'Performance' and 'Sport' stuff.

Would be cool to reinforce walls / Doors with multiple layers of base material (e.g wood)

Probably just gonna stick to the barricading we have.

Collecting Titles for nicer Floors seems unrealistic.  They are too heavy if you ask me 1 would Reduce their weight to 2 or 1  (instead of 3)

I think it seems fine? Don't know how others feel about the weight.

Would be cool to have something like a Pushcart to transport wood a shorter distance

Good idea.

-         Generally i would introduce Rare Loot ontop of the existing loot table. So that there are "rare" versions of each cloth (with better stats)

Epic Scarf of Zombie Bite Protection which leads to Legendary Plunger of Suction... Nope.

Washing yourself is currently purely optional ? Would be interessting to see that you smell attracts zombies, an the longer you are not taking a shower the bigger is you smell radius - including that you leave a smell-trace zombies are following (could  be a reason to wash yourself more often, or use some sort of cologne)

Smell has been in the sandbox, and nonfunctional since it was introduced. I have no idea if it'll ever be a thing at this point or end up just being removed. Regardless, I'm not sure why using a stronger smell of cologne would make zombies not go towards you. Think that's quite silly personally. :D

A bit too much I think.

-        remote control for opening gates at your base (so that you dont have to leave the car) - e.g. honk for Open

-       if you could have more than one electric ciruit you could make on for permanent use (e.g. fridge) and one for the night (e.g. light)

We shall see how this goes and fits with the CCTV and electronics stuff in the future.

i mostly ran around with a machete and didnt use guns at all. But they should be usefull somehow. Shotgungs for bigger groups. Maybe you need other kind of zombies or animals that better be killed in a certain distance. Weapons would be also pretty usefull for base defence - if you are able to shoot through

Personally I'm very happy with how guns are now, but there's still more they have planned to do with them to make them more viable and skill based rather than pure RNG.

Bugs in 41.50

- Some kinds of Gras (the brownish ones) cant be removed (so they stuck out of a e.g. Wooden Floor

- Light bulbs (for Cars) have no indicator of their quality status (only visible when you want to install them again via the context menu, but not in invetory)

Noted.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Phew, that was a lot ;).

It should be noted NOT to take 'planned' as 100% going to be added, moreso that they expressed interest in doing it.

But shitting and pissing yourself is 100% a no. Turrets, a train driving from place to place, building streets I could say that I am 100% sure they won't be a thing.

I think I saw this post before, but maybe I forgot to reply? Anyway, adding to what others said before:

On 4/12/2021 at 8:32 PM, Pogo said:

For now you can set Helicopter to "Sometimes" as well as fiddle with zombie amount, respawns and groups in options, other meta event don't cause much zombie migration and sadly I have to agree with @MadDan2013on this, hopefully more zombie migration/grouping will be addressed in future.

Basic traps are already there (broken glass and remote traps, there's a bear trap sprite image), so I guess more are coming in the future, more might come with hunting update and maybe fire update as well as electrical revamp. No turrets though as MadDan said, ladmines maybe when more military location goes, but they'd be too OP IMO.

Blizzard and Thunderstorms are there, there's also quite advanced Temperature system in place, but it's not used to full potential yet, so hopefully more's planned. I think Thunderstorms were supposed to cause fire sometimes, but not sure they do now - the fire system is due to being overhauled in b42 I guess

I think you can plumb multiple barrels to one sink currently, but the system is not so intuitive and slightly limited, hopefully it'll be improved down the road.

Electricity revamp is planned and being teased, you can see https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2013/10/apzdtisa-ii/ (especially the wiring part, that applies to traps as well) or https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Planned_features#Game_mechanics for summary of things planned with appropriate sources as well as this thread for a lot of useful suggestions about electricity https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22859-about-electricity/ (some of them apply to other things you suggested as well).

There are mods for that, including vehicles/trailers with tanks, but I'd love if the game had an unified way to store liquids the same as water.

There's a defecation mod being advertised in one of the blog posts, but that's the feature definitely not going to be in vanilla :)

To the ground, most likely. There's no system in game to track all dirty water which is understandable, though some progression could be made here too.

Planned, maybe with the hunting update or after it.

There's a mod for that, Steam/GOG ones will probably be there after release if at all like MadDan said, yeah.

-          Why are there only Wooden Doors for the Player Base

Some doors "rework" is probably planned, as they can't be moved and there's no metalworking now. Hopefully lockpicking and more opening options for doors too (at least you can lock them and place a sheet on window, but you can't break it). Windows need some love too, but at least they are moveable. Doors are disassemblable and smashable, but not moveable.

Drop rates are being adressed in the next patch, so best to wait.

-          Rare Vehincle Spawns (that motivate players to explore more)

More are to come, like a fire truck, but some trailers are alredy rare in addition to what @MadDan2013mentioned.

-          Car Tuning (defensive Purposes)

Planned :)

-          Would be cool to reinforce walls / Doors with multiple layers of base material (e.g wood)

You should be able to barricade doors and windows from both sides, sometimes the game allows you to add two sheets but they can't be interacted properly (I suggested it as a feature though). For walls you have multi-stage build, but I suggested you should be able to repair and upgrade them if you get to a higher carpentry/metalworking level or find someone with handy perk.

-         Would be cool to have something like a Pushcart to transport wood a shorter distance

Pushable wheelie bins were there in early version, hopefully a system for that will be re-added sometime to the game we have now.

There are some rare spawns already, backpacks, clothings and weapons (katana, machette…) and you can modify them some with tailoring with more to come in future (e.g. they mentioned adding pockets).

Like dan said, smell is currently non functional and you can't get sick by wearing filthy clothes currently. Blood do affect hemophobic trait though.

There's a fly sound from bodies that already annoys some people (but can be rid of by getting rid of the bodies or disabling it in options), a similar feature was in My Summer Car with repellant, but it also annoyed people and was slightly toned down. I'd say bites are not good idea, maybe just some more sound effects near water especially with sound rework.

- if you could have more than one electric ciruit you could make on for permanent use (e.g. fridge) and one for the night (e.g. light)

Both are hopefully planned, see my previous electrical mention.

Bugs in 41.50

Thanks for reporting the first two, I had trouble removing some tiles as well, so hopefully it gets fixed :)

The car heating issue should be known for a while, but yeah.

The same happens for radios. They also don't break, I reported it somewhere at the forums some time ago.

• 4 months later...

I think a cool way to end the game - not sure if someone already said that - it would be the send a signal of rescue to outside town. But in order to make it happen you would have to power up an enormous Antenna in a broadcast station (that would require turning on a hydroeletric plant to work), clean up the zombies in an in x miles radius for the chopper to land safely, etc... It would require a lot of time and effort to achieve it, but at least you are working towards a goal. Cheers