Silencer for weapons

Braaun

On a second look in the game files, the profession that seems to be the closest to knowing how this works, of those that are already planned to be added are  Military soldier and Military officer. Who themselves probably wouldnt even have the machining skills but that could perhaps be learn though if such a skill would be added, eitherway this topic is waaaaay ahead of its time in my final conclusion.

if they do add the machining skills, i would say a soldier could be able to do it, maybe they also add books later that will learn you new recipies or something like that but we cant know that for now..

[books with recipies then i mean books that perhaps contain info on how it works..]

On a second look in the game files, the profession that seems to be the closest to knowing how this works, of those that are already planned to be added are  Military soldier and Military officer. Who themselves probably wouldnt even have the machining skills but that could perhaps be learn though if such a skill would be added, eitherway this topic is waaaaay ahead of its time in my final conclusion.

Basic army units generally don't have much experience with silencers. (I think, don't quote me)

Most infantry will never use a suppressor. Also, don't have any idea how they work. Can't stress that point enough- people can't make things just because they've seen them on tv. It requires specific understanding of how it works.

yeah, i was just pointing out, that if there was someone out of that list that would know to some degree it would be them, but yeah the point you made still stands.

>How they work

You mean threading them on and firing? Total space magic.

Sub-sonic .22 is readily available at any decent gun store and is only slightly more expensive than regular .22.

I know many "normal" machinists who you could hand blueprints to and would be able to make them. And special machinery? If that's the reason for not adding them then why have the skill in the first place?

When using sub-sonic ammunition in bolt actions the actual bolt can be louder when working it than the actual shot.

But regardless I know that none of this knowledge will be available to whichever ignoramus we play as in the game (regardless of profession choice) so I guess that devalues my purchase of it and we'll have to continue playing as The Walking Dead-tier morons for forced difficulty.

Wow! In all my years of moderating… this takes the cake for one of the most laughably unintelligent posts I've ever seen. Let's begin at the beginning!

>How they work

You mean threading them on and firing? Total space magic.

Perhaps before being snide you should make sure your reading comprehension isn't failing you. I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse in some misguided attempt to make me look stupid, or whether you're just that incapable of grasping what I said.

To be clear, when I said "how they work" I (obviously) didn't mean how they screw onto the gun. I meant how they function; you might have worked that out if you noticed that was the part where I was talking about fabricating them.

Sub-sonic .22 is readily available at any decent gun store and is only slightly more expensive than regular .22.

I know this is the internet, but perhaps would be wise to think twice before trying to bullshit stuff. I work in a sporting goods store. We have 160 feet of ammunition on the shelves. We have not now, nor have we ever stocked any subsonic ammo. I'm not saying other sporting goods stores don't stock it; obviously, they do. But acting like it's so common it's coming out people's ears is just plain wrong.

This brings me nicely to my next point- regardless of whether places sell it, it's probably not on the shelf right now. If you know anything about guns, you know that right now ammunition is pretty scarce in the U.S., most especially .22 and .22lr. In fact, of the ~30 feet of shelving we have dedicated to .22 ammo's, there's not one single case on the shelf right now. When we get full pallets of it in stock, it's gone within 6 hours or less.

I know many "normal" machinists who you could hand blueprints to and would be able to make them. And special machinery? If that's the reason for not adding them then why have the skill in the first place?

This is one of the silliest things I've ever read. First of all… a blueprint? Where exactly are you going to be finding a blueprint for a suppressor? Considering it would likely be a decent time into the zombie apocalypse before you thought about doing this (even assuming you just happened to have a machinist in your pocket), the power is going to be out. Exactly how many paper blueprints for suppressors do you think there are floating around in circulation? Most 'blueprints' for stuff is handled via computer now. 

And another thing… exactly how many machinists do you know? Are you a machinist? Do you really have such an extensive network of machinists you know that you can sit there and smugly in form me that you know "many" who could whip up a suppressor?

And special machinery? Yes, special machinery. I'm not sure exactly what kind of game you think Project Zomboid is, but it's not one where people make complicated products that take very specific tools to make with a bit of string and a screwdriver. This is not MacGyver. This is not an arcade game.

Also very important is the fact that you need electricity to run the kind of tools this would take. So, naturally, you'll need a generator. Not just any generator, though. Most of the tools needed to make a suppressor aren't just going to take normal 110v outlets. No, they're going to take high voltage outlets and high voltage power. So either you're going to have to find a converter, or just happen to find a very nice generator.

And finally, how about the material? Got many solid blocks of aluminum sitting around your house? Didn't think so.

Also, one more thing: There is no skill for machining things. I'm not sure why you think that, but there's not.

When using sub-sonic ammunition in bolt actions the actual bolt can be louder when working it than the actual shot.

Read this article, then get back to me: http://www.silencerresearch.com/subsonic_22_ammunition.htm

Even with a perfect set-up, you're still hovering around 110 decibels, which is enough for hearing loss and still heard from quite a distance. Also note that even subsonic ammo causes sonic cracks as it passes things, which are still quite loud. You may not hear a lot of sound right at the gun, but it's still making a lot of noise.

Also worth noting that the loss of power with a subsonic .22 round is somewhat noticeable. Normally, .22's would be perfect for zombie hunting- they have just enough power to consistently pierce the skull, but not enough to exit. This causes them to often ricochet off of the back of the skull, effectively scrambling the brain. However, taking away a large amount of the power causes .22's to be much less reliable. They're still fine for vermin hunting, but anything as thick as a human skull and you're going to have a lot of deflection and getting stuck halfway in. For the sake of clairty, most subsonics are going to be around 20% less fps (obviously depending on barrel length, grain, etc).

But regardless I know that none of this knowledge will be available to whichever ignoramus we play as in the game (regardless of profession choice) so I guess that devalues my purchase of it and we'll have to continue playing as The Walking Dead-tier morons for forced difficulty.

If you feel the entire point of PZ devalues your purchase, then it's on you for not researching your purchase first. The entire idea of PZ is to NOT be yet another arcady, action hero game where you play as a super human genius survivor. If that's what you want, there's plenty of market for it elsewhere.

Basic army units generally don't have much experience with silencers. (I think, don't quote me)

I was a Miliary Police Soldier, the mostful power "light" mobile platform outside of Spec Ops.  Others may have some of the toys, but we got all of them.  In all seriousness, a three man team of MPs had more firepower than a standard infantry squad.  We also routinely trained with Spec Ops (maybe I as just lucky to be a field pog).  I spent a lot of time at Ft. Carson and in Kuwait learning a lot from soldiers who were masters of the craft, and that was killing.

I can say I NEVER saw or talked about a silencer.  Why even mention silencer when you can pull the trigger on a Barrett .50.  When you blow a hole the size of a soda can through someone... who cares?!  The enemy is looking for something to hide behind..  while the indirect fire lands on their heads.  Really no point for silenciers in most operations, past the first shot.  If you wanted to kill some silently, then you did it up close and personal.  In most dirt ops, you just planned your actions using distractions, concealment and (if all else failed) overwhelming firepower.

You want to talk about Wet Work or Black Ops, then your part of the 1% (either supporting operations or getting your feet wet).

In any event, I really don't see a need for silent firearms.  Let that be the perview of bows/crossbows and have the drawbacks to match.

I was a Miliary Police Soldier, the mostful power "light" mobile platform outside of Spec Ops.  Others may have some of the toys, but we got all of them.  In all seriousness, a three man team of MPs had more firepower than a standard infantry squad.  We also routinely trained with Spec Ops (maybe I as just lucky to be a field pog).  I spent a lot of time at Ft. Carson and in Kuwait learning a lot from soldiers who were masters of the craft, and that was killing.

Uhh, why would MP better armed then standard infantry?

Uhh, why would MP better armed then standard infantry?

LOL... The standard MP Fire Team employs three soldiers: a driver, a gunner and a team leader.  All carry a 9mm and an M16A2.  Team leader is a grenadider (undersling M204 40mm Grenade Launcher).  The gunner usually carried two or three of the following into the field: M60 (7.62mm belt fed machine gun), M2 (.50 belt fed machine gun), SAW (5.56mm belt fed light machine gun), MK19 (belt fed 40mm grenade launcher), + missle systems.

When I went into the field, the driver carried the SAW for dismounted operations and the gunner carried the M60.  I prefer the M2 over the Mk-19 for just general versatility, but the MK-19 is an awesome weapon system to rain indirect fire downrange.  If we stayed mounted, then all sorts of firepower could be brought to bear.  The issue is the standard infantry unit is dismounted.  They just cant carry all the toys.  Now, Mechanized Infanty gets the Bradly Fighting Vehicle (which changes things quite a bit).  The only problem is the usually dont dismount for Dirt Ops, while MPs mimic Soviets Ops and do.  The BFV also has a larger foot print and easier to track.

Now I'm just more confused. Aren't MP just a police force for the military? (cept really badass)

Yes and No.

1. Whenever something goes south in the world and they want stability, they say... "call in the cops."  Seen it all over.  Some how politician belive the term Police = what you see in a city.  Which is true to a certain extent.  MPs in the Army and Marines have two job sets: L&O (Law and Order) for garrison and Field B!tch.
  2. L&O - this is MPs doing gate duty, breaking up bar fights, patroling around in cars with light bars, etc.
  3. Field B!tch - MPs have two missions down range (for the most part): rear area security and POW.
  4. Forget POW ops, I was not a cage kicker.  I would have to get into a serious discussion about the Forward Edge of the Battle Area (FEBA) and how is moves about.  The modern military moves F A S T.  Sometime we will completely bypass one area to get to another.  Now that area is in "the rear", but no one told the enemy :P  Also, the enemy can dig in and hide, wait for the FEBA to pass by for a few days and then start sewing chaos in our supply lines.  MPs have to handle these.
  5. MPs also route recon, to see what areas are good for advance.... putting us in the FEBA.  We also like to strike deep and hide ourselves.  We become a dirt team and can then give intelligence to commanders about the enemy.
  6. There are also jobs like physical security (biological, chemical and nuclear weapons) in garrison and in the field.

Do you know who the FIRST US soldier was to be wounded in Bosina?  An MP.  4th ID, 4th MP Co.  I knew the guy.  Never put propane cannisters under your seat.  IEDs are bad.  Ball of fire under you @ss because of the IED is worse.  However his real injuries was to his foot.  He was lucky the tire took the hit.  If it would have gone a meter more before blowing he would have been killed.

Now I'm just more confused. Aren't MP just a police force for the military? (cept really badass)

Yes and No.

1. Whenever something goes south in the world and they want stability, they say... "call in the cops."  Seen it all over.  Some how politician belive the term Police = what you see in a city.  Which is true to a certain extent.  MPs in the Army and Marines have two job sets: L&O (Law and Order) for garrison and Field B!tch.
  2. L&O - this is MPs doing gate duty, breaking up bar fights, patroling around in cars with light bars, etc.
  3. Field B!tch - MPs have two missions down range (for the most part): rear area security and POW.
  4. Forget POW ops, I was not a cage kicker.  I would have to get into a serious discussion about the Forward Edge of the Battle Area (FEBA) and how is moves about.  The modern military moves F A S T.  Sometime we will completely bypass one area to get to another.  Now that area is in "the rear", but no one told the enemy :P  Also, the enemy can dig in and hide, wait for the FEBA to pass by for a few days and then start sewing chaos in our supply lines.  MPs have to handle these.
  5. MPs also route recon, to see what areas are good for advance.... putting us in the FEBA.  We also like to strike deep and hide ourselves.  We become a dirt team and can then give intelligence to commanders about the enemy.
  6. There are also jobs like physical security (biological, chemical and nuclear weapons) in garrison and in the field.

Do you know who the FIRST US soldier was to be wounded in Bosina?  An MP.  4th ID, 4th MP Co.  I knew the guy.  Never put propane cannisters under your seat.  IEDs are bad.  Ball of fire under you @ss because of the IED is worse.  However his real injuries was to his foot.  He was lucky the tire took the hit.  If it would have gone a meter more before blowing he would have been killed.

Thanks for the very informative post. :)

Yes and No.

Thanks for the very informative post. :)

My father was in Bosnia for a short amount of time during his stint in the Air Force (as a doctor, though).

Good and bad people on both sides of that conflict.  Terrible and rewarding place to be.  Bosnia was one of those places where you could be doing the right thing, helping people out... a still get killed.

Since most of that novel wasn't worth replying to (and having more valuable things to do than expanding my experience as a "super 1337 mod on teh interwebs forums") I'll just go ahead and get to the main point. I'm not looking for an arcadey shooter. I'm looking for realism and it is lacking. Working in a sporting goods store doesn't convince me any more that you actually know what you are talking about and the laughable attempts at explaining things I already know in an attempt to look "all knowing" is just as retarded of a concept. All I wanted was for it to be considered as an option since it pretty much is one for any know-how, but clearly good suggestions aren't valued and instead things like using a goddamn aerosol can as a flamethrower are more accepted. I'll stay out of the suggestions part since reading everything in here is cringe-worthy and stick to reporting the thousands of bugs I run across in game to hope I get my moneys worth with future updates. I know you're going to quote every other sentence I have typed separately and make snarky comebacks to each one, but I hope you pay special attention to this one:

Go fuck yourself dipshit.

So what you're saying is, you're wrong, you know you're wrong, so you come back with an attack on me rather than try to refute any points? Clever, why didn't I think of that.

Note: Would take a think about whether you want to remain part of this forum before you respond to me again. I usually don't moderate when people treat me badly; I leave that for the other mods. I understand things can get heated in arguments sometimes. However, I'm the only one around tonight. Attack me in a direct and vulgar manner again, and you won't be a member of these forums any more. Cheers.

Since most of that novel wasn't worth replying to (and having more valuable things to do than expanding my experience as a "super 1337 mod on teh interwebs forums") I'll just go ahead and get to the main point. I'm not looking for an arcadey shooter. I'm looking for realism and it is lacking. Working in a sporting goods store doesn't convince me any more that you actually know what you are talking about and the laughable attempts at explaining things I already know in an attempt to look "all knowing" is just as retarded of a concept. All I wanted was for it to be considered as an option since it pretty much is one for any know-how, but clearly good suggestions aren't valued and instead things like using a goddamn aerosol can as a flamethrower are more accepted. I'll stay out of the suggestions part since reading everything in here is cringe-worthy and stick to reporting the thousands of bugs I run across in game to hope I get my moneys worth with future updates. I know you're going to quote every other sentence I have typed separately and make snarky comebacks to each one, but I hope you pay special attention to this one:

Go fuck yourself dipshit.

Stupid troll is stupid.

So what you're saying is, you're wrong, you know you're wrong, so you come back with an attack on me rather than try to refute any points? Clever, why didn't I think of that.

Note: Would take a think about whether you want to remain part of this forum before you respond to me again. I usually don't moderate when people treat me badly; I leave that for the other mods. I understand things can get heated in arguments sometimes. However, I'm the only one around tonight. Attack me in a direct and vulgar manner again, and you won't be a member of these forums any more. Cheers.

Thank you for being such a great mod. May the trolls live a long and fruitless life.