Silencer for weapons

Braaun

The implementation of silencers on firearms in Project Zomboid would be cool. Or craft a handmade silencer like the one that "Carl" have in The Walking Dead. Good for desesperate times that need to clean the horde but not attract more. Doesnt need to silence the sound, just suffocate it.

Like this:
walking-dead-finale-carl-grimes.jpg

This has been mentioned before, and in my personal opinion it's highly unrealistic.

Before I get into why, I should mention that it should be called a suppressor, not a silencer. Silencer is something that the movies made up.

Now, first point, how effective suppressors are. Suppressors work by redirecting the explosive gases that leave the muzzle of a firearm. The quiet the initial noise of the weapon firing. However, much of the noise of a gun firing is actually from the sonic boom of the bullet going faster than the speed of sound. Suppressors can't do anything about this. So even if it were to be in the game, it actually has a fairly small impact on the overall noise of firing a gun. There does exist specialty sub-sonic ammunition with low powder loads meant to travel just under the speed of sound which can be quite quiet; however, these are a specialty item and chances are you wouldn't even find them in most small towns. They also impact the range and effectiveness of your weapon.

Second, the durability of suppressors. Home made suppressors are first of all VASTLY less effective than ones crafted for the weapon, and second are usually ruined within 3 shots or less. Even real suppressors can degrade when used quickly, especially if  sustained use of longer periods of time is a factor.

Third, how common suppressors are. It's worth mentioning that suppressors really need to be made for the specific weapon you have. You can't take a Glock 23 suppressor and just stick it on the end of a Remington 1911 and call it good. Any kinda of makeshift seal you could make would either end up shearing off or just expelling the gases at normal volume. Also, suppressors are illegal in many parts of the U.S., and are restricted to certain kinds of use. Furthermore, they just aren't that common in the first place. The place I work sells firearms and we neither stock nor can order suppressors for any of our weapons.

It's just a highly, highly, highly unfeasible idea that doesn't add much to the game in the first place in my opinion.

It's not illegal in all states, only some. They're just unfortunately quite uncommon even in places where they are legal- it's a bit taboo. They're much more common in foreign nations, where people are actually encouraged to use them for every day stuff like hunting so as not to wake the neighbors in the morning, etc. XD

I know that there are people probably more gun-nuts than an average person that I am, but supressors, even professional ones, don't silent your shot like you see in the movies (or games) with the "Pssf" sound.

They just make the sound a lot less spreading, so the gunshot doesn't echo through the whole neightborhood. It's still loud as hell, I doubt you can even fire guns with them safely without earphones. Certainly, if you fire a shot with a supressor, expect everyone in the close area to gather around on the shot, but it won't bring zambambies from the whole muldraugh like normal gunshot would.

Suppressors are legal in 39 out of 50 states in the U.S., all of which require special paperwork and a permit signed by your local law enforcement, as well as a special tax payment. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

The following jurisdictions have explicitly banned any civilian from possessing a suppressor: California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa,Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia.

So, while legal in a majority of states, unfortunately hard to obtain and very rare.

@Leo, when using supersonic bullets (as the vast majority of them are) you'll still be hearing the shot for miles. Unfortunately, Hollywood has well and truly blasphemed the idea of suppressors.

I know that there are people probably more gun-nuts than an average person that I am, but supressors, even professional ones, don't silent your shot like you see in the movies (or games) with the "Pssf" sound.

They just make the sound a lot less spreading, so the gunshot doesn't echo through the whole neightborhood. It's still loud as hell, I doubt you can even fire guns with them safely without earphones. Certainly, if you fire a shot with a supressor, expect everyone in the close area to gather around on the shot, but it won't bring zambambies from the whole muldraugh like normal gunshot would.

Nope you don't have to wear ear protection with suppressors. The sound depends on the calibre of the gun lower calibre guns suppressed are REALLY fucking quiet while larger calibres are louder but all are much quieter than unsuppressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXc0rm6dzVs .38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLd0YxZnG0 .223

I'm sorry, but people who link Youtube videos about suppressors bother me something fierce. Sound capture devices do a shit job with recording sharp, brief increases in volume- especially with non-proffessional video cameras. Not to mention, people with suppressor videos tend to be very liberal with the sound editing process. Also worth noting, most video capture software and video hosting sites tend to normalize volume some. YouTube videos about suppressors are in no way, shape, or form a reliable method of information about this and should be 100% disregarded.

The caliber of the bullet and the load only impacts the sound of the gas exiting the firearm. The sonic boom is still indistinguishable, regardless of caliber, as long as it's going faster than the speed of sound which all except specialty bullets do.

If you don't wear ear protection with suppressors, you are damaging your hearing. Sonic booms from guns are still ~80 decibels, which is in the range of causing hearing damage.

Nope you don't have to wear ear protection with suppressors. The sound depends on the calibre of the gun lower calibre guns suppressed are REALLY fucking quiet while larger calibres are louder but all are much quieter than unsuppressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXc0rm6dzVs .38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLd0YxZnG0 .223

.38 one still sounded loud as fuck judged by other noises made in the video. .223 one felt like directing the noise towards the direction it was aiming at, and supressed the sound from going towards the shooter side (a.k.a backwards).

I'm sorry, but people who link Youtube videos about suppressors piss me off something fierce. Sound capture devices do a shit job with recording sharp, brief increases in volume- especially with non-proffessional video cameras. Not to mention, people with suppressor videos tend to be very liberal with the sound editing process. Also worth noting, most video capture software and video hosting sites tend to normalize volume some. YouTube videos about suppressors are in no way, shape, or form a reliable method of information about this and should be 100% disregarded.

The caliber of the bullet and the load only impacts the sound of the gas exiting the firearm. The sonic boom is still indistinguishable, regardless of caliber, as long as it's going faster than the speed of sound which all except specialty bullets do.

If you don't wear ear protection with suppressors, you are damaging your hearing. Sonic booms from guns are still ~80 decibels, which is in the range of causing hearing damage.

You might want to include suppressors in your commonly suggested suggestions, since threads on silencers and suppressors seem to be popping up more frequently.

Hi! Don't want to make a bad impression with the moderator staff as I'm new, but I thought I'd make a few points, since this is a relevant area of interest.

Silencers are a correct term. When Hiram Percy Maxim invented a baffled tube for reducing firearms noise, he marketed it as a Maxim Silencer. It was the first commercially successful version of the device, and it's deisgn was shared by automotive mufflers he also marketed. The basic design he used is still common today. So, historically speaking either term works. Suppressor or Silencer.

Subsonic ammo is important for rifles, yes. But with say, a .22 LR rifle, or a handgun many bullets are subsonic anyway, negating the need for specialized ammunition. In rare cases, like the MP5SD, the suppressor is designed to reduce the velocity of the ammunition in the weapon.

Adapting a firearm to use a suppressor isn't easy, but if you have tools to thread a piece of metal it's definitely doable. Plus, there's even a product marketed on the market that allows use of oil filters!

. As you can see at 3:00, it survives fully automatic fire from a 5.45 SBR without much consequence.

I mean, when you get down to it, you look at stuff like the Welrod gun from WW2, or various suppressors built in the casings of flashlights... that was done in simple workshops while being bombed by the Germans and whatnot. They're essentially tubes with baffling. Yes, they weren't always good - the suppressed Sten variants were issued with the stipulation they were not used in full auto because of excessive wear, the Welrod was nearly disposable. But I imagine if humanity was fighting desperately to survive, they'd find a way.

Plus, even with rifles, they do reduce the signiature of the weapon firing. Sure, it's still apparent a weapon was discharged, but the supersonic crack isn't as localized as the weapon discharging.

And, with pistols or .22s, they are much less noticeable. I think .22s especially with suppressors hold huge potential as very good weapons in an actual disaster scenario or Project Zomboid. They're quiet, you can carry an insane amount of ammo, and they'd definitely do the job against slow-moving walkers. Again, these sort of guns are exactly what people shoot without ear protection, beacuse they're especially suited to being suppressed!

I do not approve of silencers. first of all, the subsonic ammunition that is mostly needed, when you are firing more then .22s.

I can only speak for german weapons, and they arent shooting subsonic ammunition by standard.

Plus, all the handmade silencers out of the obsvious television series are just bogus IMO.

@John, that's true about the original suppressor, but aside from a few government agencies (that don't know any better) it's still not the correct term. Many things aren't called what their inventor originally called them.

I've seen the oil filters used before. Like I said of YouTube videos… people love to edit those and play with the sound. The can work, but not as well and not as long as the lies on the internet.

And finally, about threading into a barrel, the game is meant to be about every day people, not machinist and gun experts. Your every day person would likely not successfully pull this off.

Before I get into why, I should mention that it should be called a suppressor, not a silencer. Silencer is something that the movies made up.

You have James Bond to thank for that, anyway I don't want suppressors as they are pretty unrealistic given that they are near enough illegal unless you have the correct permission and very few people have that permission.

@John, that's true about the original suppressor, but aside from a few government agencies (that don't know any better) it's still not the correct term. Many things aren't called what their inventor originally called them.

I've seen the oil filters used before. Like I said of YouTube videos… people love to edit those and play with the sound. The can work, but not as well and not as long as the lies on the internet.

And finally, about threading into a barrel, the game is meant to be about every day people, not machinist and gun experts. Your every day person would likely not successfully pull this off.

The ATF refers to them as silencers. Since Federal law also dictates legal terms in which they are discussed, I'm pretty sure it's an applicable term, just IMO.

Certainly, you are correct they aren't as quiet as movies make them seem... well, a suppressed .22 is still exceptionally quiet. And a handgun isn't that loud at long ranges with a can. The thing is, they won't eliminate the sound, but they'd reach ears at a lesser difference which, IMO is an improvement in any case.

I think a suppressed .22 would be impressively useful against zomboid-type zombies with their low signature and high ammunition capacity.

And yes, an individual won't be able to make a reliable one without some know-how, but they could find someone with said knowledge, or a pre-fabbed one, or learn how to do so after raiding a library for books that discuss WW2 or spies. I think it's pretty believable as a form of late-game development.

I've always been a fan of .22's, really, and that would by far be my weapon of choice for zombies. It's still somewhat of a tradeoff between picking up high velocity rounds to ensure that the bullets pierce the skull, or risk low velocity rounds that are much quieter but might graze off or just not fully penetrate the skull.

As a fun side note, .22's have a reputation for piercing the skull, ricocheting off of the back of it (on the inside) and pretty much scrambling brains. I can't think of any better way to take down a zombie.

I've always been a fan of .22's, really, and that would by far be my weapon of choice for zombies. It's still somewhat of a tradeoff between picking up high velocity rounds to ensure that the bullets pierce the skull, or risk low velocity rounds that are much quieter but might graze off or just not fully penetrate the skull.

As a fun side note, .22's have a reputation for piercing the skull, ricocheting off of the back of it (on the inside) and pretty much scrambling brains. I can't think of any better way to take down a zombie.

I think in WWZ the Americans used incendiary rounds. 

I kinda just skimmed the parts where people went into way to much detail on guns.

First.

1. How is it I haven't commented on this thread already.

2. I am against silencers.

3. If we need to make guns this complicated in a game where they shouldn't be then someone is doing something wrong.

Opinion of course. (tophat)

Nothing particularly wrong with incendiary rounds, but they're pretty uncommon. There's the legality issue- true incendiary rounds are illegal for shooting (but I think can be owned as a collector). Tracer rounds (what most people think of as incendiary rounds) are legal I believe, but similarly quite uncommon to find.