Future focus on mod tools?

R0cksteady

Love the game.  There is currently an intense focus on multiplayer, which makes sense.  Multiplayer will be fantastic for this game.  However, the modding leaves a lot to be desired.  I tried dipping my toe into the modding, and Blackbeard made some amazing tutorials for map building, but the Lua side is really barren.  It's hard to know what you can and can't accomplish without, for example, a list of events, or things you can trigger.

For example, I wanted to know if you could get zombies to spawn by flicking a switch, but trying to answer that took a crazy amount of digging and reading.  I learned a lot about how the Lua system works, but I still have no idea if there is an event associated with flipping a switch.

Will there be a focus at some point on making modding more accessible?  

18 hours ago, R0cksteady said:

Love the game.  There is currently an intense focus on multiplayer, which makes sense.  Multiplayer will be fantastic for this game.  However, the modding leaves a lot to be desired.  I tried dipping my toe into the modding, and Blackbeard made some amazing tutorials for map building, but the Lua side is really barren.  It's hard to know what you can and can't accomplish without, for example, a list of events, or things you can trigger.

For example, I wanted to know if you could get zombies to spawn by flicking a switch, but trying to answer that took a crazy amount of digging and reading.  I learned a lot about how the Lua system works, but I still have no idea if there is an event associated with flipping a switch.

Will there be a focus at some point on making modding more accessible?  

You can learn a lot by looking into the code of existing mods- spawning zeds is definitely doable but I forget the name of an example mod right now.

Archived