Sleeping Overhaul (DOES NOT WORK WITH STEAM FFS)

RoboMat

Haha, I redownloaded and it still came out as a "file", but then I tried adding the .zip extension and it extracted fine.

Thank you very much Kinyoshi! Not sure why that happened. I'm using firefox, and it has never happened to me before. (I've downloaded a previous version of this mod without any trouble)

Um, maybe it's just me, but my download isn't working. Or at least, I'm not downloading a .zip.

What I download is a 25.8 kb file named "Sleeping" the type of file is literally just "file". Can someone confirm/fix this for me?

This is probably my fault. I thought I fixed it and it seems to work in chrome.

Edit: there we go. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ich kann nicht verstehen Deutsch, aber vielleicht werden ich einige lernen.

Edit: Hey do you taunts read out in German too? I only know English so I'm not much use, but translations would be awesome. (If you already posted this, I'm stupid, ignore me)

Edited by kinyoshi

saw DanShu playing this :) was ace!

One thing I noticed / he pointed out, was that fainting wasn't much a threat, since zombies didn't seem to attack while he was unconcious, so even falling asleep amongst a horde you could just pick up where you left off.

Is this a problem with normal sleeping? Is this something we need to fix?

It's something I noticed myself while testing the mod. The strange thing is that it seems to be random.

Sometimes the zombies will pursue and attack you. It's mostly only small damage and when you wake up you can run away (no zombies will grab you). Most of the time though they will stand beside your sleeping character and do nothing.

A fix for this would be awesomly cool of course :) Tell me if you need more infos about this!

I've noticed this without the mod, but I thought you all know it! :D

Sorry, thought it wasn't a bug, because it felt just a bit unfinished. :oops:

it somehow never struck me as a big issue before ... I just thought that I had to separate my mod from the Java source to fix this, but if the devs would provide a fix that'd be awesome of course :-)

I like to make a fat survivor because it's funny :D. Can you make it so that overweight survivors snore? Maybe other suvivors that are skinny and healthy have a chance to snore sometimes. Maybe Snore only when sleeping and you are 100% opposite from being scared (If I'm super relaxed and calm I sleep deeper than when stressed out).

Make it so the snoring only carries a short distance, longer distances with heavy survivors. So if you sleep with a window open, it would be just as bad as screaming while sleeping with the window open.

:) 

I like to make a fat survivor because it's funny :D. Can you make it so that overweight survivors snore? Maybe other suvivors that are skinny and healthy have a chance to snore sometimes. Maybe Snore only when sleeping and you are 100% opposite from being scared (If I'm super relaxed and calm I sleep deeper than when stressed out).

Make it so the snoring only carries a short distance, longer distances with heavy survivors. So if you sleep with a window open, it would be just as bad as screaming while sleeping with the window open.

:)

nice suggestion, but why only couple this to a fat/skinny character? why not make it a trait? that will give -1 on the traitscale? :)

nice suggestion, but why only couple this to a fat/skinny character? why not make it a trait? that will give -1 on the traitscale? :)

The next update already contains two new traits. The heavy sleeper who has fewer nightmares and also a smaller chance to wake up from ambient noises (also a new feature :P) and the light sleeper which is the exact contrary.

I've played around with the "snoring" feature but I just can't decide how to put it in.

The more overweight you are, the higher the chance of snoring? (not sure if this is exactly true in real life, but for gameplay purposes perhaps?) Having the overweight trait perhaps giving a 20% chance to snore (and a 33% chance to wake you up if snoring), accompanied by a circle of noise that triggers when snoring, having the potential to alert any zombies in close vicinity.

Athletic characters could have a much lower chance to snore, but perhaps having a higher chance to wake up if caught snoring. This would give more choice for the player. Overweight characters are more used to it, hence not waking up as much by it, at the expense of snoring more often. Healthy characters are less accustomed to snoring and wake up more by it, though they are less likely to snore in the first place, giving benefits to both traits.

You could even add new traits, such as a wider noise radius, but perhaps sleeping on certain objects would stop you from snoring altogether.

How about snoring being related to how deep in sleep the character is? Deeper sleep, better sleep but more chance to snore, and vice versa.

Just some random ideas for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this release so far, however i have recently started playing with a 360 controller and this mod doesnt work with it. It literally will allow you to sleep on the floor only. Sleep button doesnt work near beds, chairs etc.

Is this a known bug or just me? Thanks

Glad you enjoy it (clyde)

As the current "Co-op Multiplayer" in the vanilla game is more a test than a full fledged game mechanic I haven't looked into supporting it so far :)

This mod is single player only for the moment.

I have a suggestion.

Different sleeping devices in your mod have different level of comfort. Also, we have pillows and sheets in the game. What if survivors could use those pillows and sheets to ugrade their sleeping devices?

It already works ;) You just have to have a pillow in your inventory when going to sleep then it will upgrade the comfort.

It already works ;) You just have to have a pillow in your inventory when going to sleep then it will upgrade the comfort.

Great! But I mean not having it in my inventory, but rather upgrading a couch / bench / table. When I go to bed, I don't have a pillow in my pocket, it's a part of my bed =)

(Preview) Sleeping Overhaul 2.0.:

Okay as I said I've been working on the next version of this mod, as I was totally unhappy with the way it worked. I don't really know why I thought sleeping uncomfortable should change the sleeping length. This is a small teaser on how the new system will look like. Please consider that most of this is still only a concept and I will need to test how it plays out in the game first, but it should give a good impression of what I am aiming for:

• New Fatigue system based on the sleeping schedule of the player
  • Sleeping Schedule calculated from the previous sleeping times of the player
  • Seperated sleeping length and recuperation values
Fatigue System:

Every player starts with a usual sleeping time of 22:00. This means he usually goes to bed at around 22:00 and wakes up 8 hours later at 06:00. Like in real life this sleeping schedule influences the fatigue of the player throughout the day. He will have slow fatigue increasing rates through out his "wake time" (06:00 to 21:00). This value is increased one hour after sleeping and two hours before going to bed. If the player passes his usual sleeping time the fatigue rate will increase much faster.

Sleeping Schedule

The sleeping schedule is calculated as an average from the sleeping times of the last seven days. This means that a player can change his sleeping and therefore his waking behaviour over time by slowly altering his sleeping schedule. The sleeping schedule will influence the fatigue system as mentioned above, but also the waking times. Usually the player will wake up after about 8 hours of sleep. With the sleeping schedule his sleeping time will always try to approach the scheduled value. That means, if the player usually wakes up at around 6 Am and goes to bed at 1 AM he still might awake at 7 AM for example. This is still a heavy WIP and might be changed and tweaked further as I go on.

Seperated length from recuperation

Mabye the biggest change to the earlier version is the seperation of sleeping lengths and recuperation. The sleeping length will be ONLY based on the above mentioned system (of course it will also be affected by ambient sounds, rain and all the other things that would wake you in real life). The recuperation system will still be based on the comfort of the object the player sleeps on aswell as his mental state. So a player that sleeps on a toilet somewhere after being chased by zombies for hours, might still be tired after waking up ... he should find a safe house and get some GOOD sleep asap.

much more

This is my current to-do list in case you are interested:

currentStatus.png

Great! But I mean not having it in my inventory, but rather upgrading a couch / bench / table. When I go to bed, I don't have a pillow in my pocket, it's a part of my bed =)

That's how it was meant to work and will most likely be included in the 2.0 release. I also want to keep track of how often the player has slept in a certain bed to simulate "safehouses" (the player is rewarded when staying longer in one place).