PZ wont start up.

tylastark

Question

Just installed it, the black box pops up and then nothing happens.

Tried reading around and trying things, but I'm not great with this kind of stuff.

I tried doing the steam>properties>-novoip thing. is it supposed to have the dash?

I went to the intel site and downloaded what was necessary.
I went to the game files and deleted everything cept the saves folder.

I really miss this game.
heres the pastebin info

tylazomboid3 - Pastebin.com

Thank you in advance.

14 answers to this question

On 3/27/2021 at 4:24 AM, Beard said:

There is a new error now in the pastebin, the "Pixel format not accelerated" error. Which means directly that the drivers to whichever card is being used are not up to date. I assume since you switched to the high performance card that you are now using the AMD card correct? Did you download and update the drivers correctly for that card as well?

one last follow up question in relation to gaming on my pc in general, if its okay. feel free to ignore. i followed yalls directions for updating my drivers and it says its all updated, but then i go to that system requirements lab site to see what other games my pc can run, and in the results it says minimum requirements met, but says my graphics driver is 42 months out of date.. is that some bullshit to get me to click something i shouldnt? 

From my experience with the website it works for what it intends to do, though I do not know what its trying to link you towards when updating the drivers. Best practice is to download directly from the manufacturer, though if that's not possible I could recommend an automatic installer. They are pretty dangerous though and can lead to bricking your computer if you use it wrong (personal experience), always back up your PC. The ones I would recommend are Snappy Driver Installer Origin and Driver Booster, maybe they could help with updating the drivers for you (but again, back up your PC and only update the graphics card drivers, for safety don't update the others as they don't need to be updated)

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

1tb hardrive

its a "dell precision t1700 i5 windows 10 tower workstation"

just bought this refurbished pc, installing pz on it for the first time

only other game ive tried is roller coaster tycoon 2 and that worked but thats also old as dirt

thank you

I just updated the drivers.

Update on black window text and specs:
tylazomboid4 - Pastebin.com

Devices and Drivers
PROCESSOR
Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
GRAPHICS
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
AMD Radeon™ R5 240
AUDIO
Realtek High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio Device
NETWORKING AND I/O
Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-LM
Realtek 8811CU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC
MEMORY
16 GB
STORAGE
ST1000DM003-1ER162

4 hours ago, tylastark said:

I just updated the drivers.

Update on black window text and specs:
tylazomboid4 - Pastebin.com

Devices and Drivers
PROCESSOR
Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
GRAPHICS
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
AMD Radeon™ R5 240
AUDIO
Realtek High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio Device
NETWORKING AND I/O
Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-LM
Realtek 8811CU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC
MEMORY
16 GB
STORAGE
ST1000DM003-1ER162

Can you make sure to update the drivers from the Intel website as well?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

After that, dowload the drivers for your dedicated card as well:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r5-series/amd-radeon-r5-200-series/amd-radeon-r5-240

Lastly, make sure to set the Project Zomboid application in Windows use the High Performance graphics card. This is a good general guide for that:
https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

We will certainly try to make it work, but we’re also past the point where it is practical to support Intel integrated graphics. Between the poor support Intel offers their users in regards to OpenGL and the need to double the amount of RAM needed for textures (Windows only), we outgrew them years ago.

15 hours ago, tylastark said:

just did all that. still nada. really appreciating the help though! apologies for being clueless.

tylazomboid5 - Pastebin.com

There is a new error now in the pastebin, the "Pixel format not accelerated" error. Which means directly that the drivers to whichever card is being used are not up to date. I assume since you switched to the high performance card that you are now using the AMD card correct? Did you download and update the drivers correctly for that card as well?

Archived