Existing Textures Reference

turbotutone

While trying to figure out how to add a custom object to the game like a piece of furniture or such i noticed it seems quite possible to use sprites that exist in the game already, however i couldnt find a reference list anywhere.

I did find this topic by KillerStarBunny:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2473-how-to-mod-the-textures/

In that topic, the user Minic90 posted a program that unpacks the texture files and creates a XML containing information about individual sprites etc.

Looking up the sprites in the XML is a daunting task though, not only is the list very long but it also does not seem to have the sprite info ordered in a logical way.

So i have written a small php script on my local server to process both the XML and image data and have it cook up some sort of reference sheets for the sprites.

The result is something like this:

7598e12218bc2d2c14604ffee842d8f7.png

To find a sprite name for usage in your code simply locate the sprite and note its white numbers, get the category name of the sprite from the black bar to the right and merge category + underscore + spritenumber.

For the first topleft image this would be: carpentry_01_26.

Works for most sprites, except for the really small ones where numbers start to overlap and become unreadable.

Anyways might be usefull to some.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q7m936gh2mgtt5g/TilesEdit.rar

Rar archive with all the converted sprite sheets.

Thanks to KillerStarBunny for the explanation on texturepacks and Minic90 for the texture unpacker!

Hey good stuff here :)

it is definitely more effective than running around and manually printing the texture names to the console :D

When you have the tile sheet open it is actually pretty simple to access them. The sheet starts with 0 in the top-left corner and ends at 63 in the bottom right.

Eya RoboMat, thanks for the reply.

Also kuddos for the modding related material you put out there, i frequently stumbled uppon resources of your making :)

This got me a little confused however:

When you have the tile sheet open it is actually pretty simple to access them. The sheet starts with 0 in the top-left corner and ends at 63 in the bottom right.

Do you mean the data associated with the individual sprites is logically ordered like that? If so could you describe the method you are using exactly?

As mentioned im using the program by Minic90, the XML data produced by that program does not seem to follow the rule you described.

For example the first entree of the sprite data associated with the example sheet (ntiles2.png) is camping_01_2, a sprite part of the tent somewhere in the middle/right of the sheet. However this may be related to how the XML data is produced by mentioned program.

Regards,

Turbo

• 10 months later...