Putting out a fire?

WormFarmer

At this time, I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".  If you've got a house fire; run away.

Just be careful... cooking is "relatively" safe after all.

Cooking food goes from:

Uncooked -> cooked -> burnt -> your house is on fire.

The time from uncooked -> cooked doesn't change... you can watch & learn (or ask) for the cooking times for any specific item.

The worst?  Popcorn, 5 minutes to cook, maybe 10 to burn (so house fire imminent if you try to speed up time).

But soups?  You'd have to forget you were cooking.

I make a tasty soup most days when cooking; 80-90 minutes to cook; 120+ minutes to burn.  You've got plenty of time (if you get back in 1 hour 30 minutes to check) without burning your house down, or even overcooking your soup.

If there's a specific cooking time you need; I know several of them.

TV dinner, 10 mins, 15 to burn.   Tricky, keep an eye on it.

Chicken/Salmon/Bacon (uncut)/steak... they're all in the 60-80 minute range, and burn in another 10-20 minutes.

Bacon cut to rashers cooks faster (not sure how much, don't do that one), and rashers cut to bacon bits cook faster yet. 

Bacon bits is what I do, 20 minutes; but decent xp as you cook more items.

** if cooking a stack of items, put the items in the oven BEFORE turning it on; or they won't cook evenly and you'll have a mix of cooked & uncooked bacon bits; leading to eventually eating raw meat & getting ill **

All pots of soup range from 80-120ish minutes.  Now if you're splitting it to bowls before cooking; those cook much faster (20-40 minutes)... might be better for xp, not sure.  I always forget to split to bowls before cooking. :)

My first run through the game was quite interesting.

I was drawn to the game because my nephew talked of a game where you smother your wife to save her from the horrors of the zombie apocalypse. That piqued my interest and I felt compelled to take a look.

I tried something different though. I thought I would try and make my wife as comfortable as possible and cook her some nice hot soup...

Well she didn't die getting eaten by zombies. I think they might have enjoyed her after though. Crispy style.

I think you've brought up a good point though. They should add fire extinguishers as loot, or some such thing. You totally should be able to put out a house fire if you catch it early and have the right items.

I think nipping across the street in a zombie apocalypse shouldn't be a greater risk than cooking up some fried chicken. :)

Seems like fair logic to me. I'm yet to start a kitchen fire since fire came back, but I'm also ultra careful with my cooking now, after having burned down so many safe houses in the old builds. You'd think regardless though, that if a person is capable enough to figure out all these other survival related things during the apocalypse, that they'd also be capable enough to prepare for and be able to handle a kitchen fire if they were cooking in situations where it was enough of a concern.

I generally will take and cook the meats during the early game, but that's usually about it. Once I start getting into the time when they start universally rotting, I pretty much stop cooking completely, save the occasional cheese sandwich or watermelon slices.

As long as you don't fast forward at all while you're cooking then you're pretty much totally safe. The trick is to watch your food cook, then the second it's ready turn the oven off, then take the food out, as opposed to the other way around.

Since this has devolved into a Martha Stewartish discussion... How do you split soup up into bowls from the big pot?  I have tried it with one or multiple bowls in my inventory and am not getting a que on my right-click menu.  Thanks for the thoughts on the fire, by the way, I would love to be able to put them out once they start.  I appreciate the cook-times too, I am less concerned now, I will let you know when I burn my house down...

Since this has devolved into a Martha Stewartish discussion... How do you split soup up into bowls from the big pot?  I have tried it with one or multiple bowls in my inventory and am not getting a que on my right-click menu.  Thanks for the thoughts on the fire, by the way, I would love to be able to put them out once they start.  I appreciate the cook-times too, I am less concerned now, I will let you know when I burn my house down...

you need 4 bowls (empty, not with water or anything else in them).

Then right-click the pot and there should be a "make soup bowl" or something like that... and you'll get 4 soup bowls and an empty pot.