Game freezing then crashing to desktop after ~1hr of play

dentbox

Question

Hi folks,

Played PZ several years ago, started trying to play again but I keep getting crashes to desktop that ruin the game for me. Really hope you can help me out as I'm really eager to get back into this. Absolutely love it, but can't get invested right now :(

So, yesterday I played for the first time in about 9 months for about 2 hours and had maybe three freezes in the middle of a game that lasted a few seconds. Game didn't crash to desktop though and I could carry on fine after a few seconds. Luckily none at any critical moments, and I don't think I tried to hit esc to pause it (but I may have). Game ran fine the rest of the time. 

Then today I reloaded my save from yesterday, went outside to fight some zombies and mid battle it froze. I had probably been playing for less than 10 mins. I hit esc to avoid getting chomped and the game sound seemed to stutter or catch up with itself, I heard bite noises, then the game crashed to desktop. Reloaded to find my character in the back garden, no zombies, but scratched.

So I ditched that save and started again. Played for about an hour, then when fighting a zombie again it froze, I hit esc to avoid getting bit and it crashed to desktop, this time with a Windows warning saying ProjectZomboid had to quit because of an error (or similar, afraid I didn't make a note of the exact message). This most recent time I DID get a copy of the console file though, and attach it below. Near the bottom it shows a load of lines like this, which don't look good. 

SEVERE: Missing tile definition: signs_one-off_02_201
Mar 09, 2021 8:38:40 PM zombie.iso.IsoCell PlaceLot

I'm on Build41 IWBUMS

No mods enabled, though I have a few I could enable from pre-Build41 (if they're all disabled could they still cause problems?)

Windows 10 Home

Intel i7 950

10gb RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti

I've validated my local files with steam.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance :)

console1.txt

On 5/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, Beard said:

In the video I noticed a few things, I dont know whether they cause the crash but it would be a good try to change them.
First, it seems like you have the game Debug mode on, can you turn it off and see if the problems still happen?
Another thing I noticed is that you have Borderless mode on, it should work fine on most computer setups but it may cause problems on rare instances, can you either try playing in Fullscreen or Windowed mode? Make sure to turn Borderless off when switching it.

Lastly, you used your own preset with low population, can you try just using a standard apocalypse preset to see if that changes anything?

Debug or not debug mode - nothing changes.

Fullscreen or use Windowed with Borderless - nothing changes.

Use Apocalypse mode or hardcore - nothing changes. 

18 hours ago, RedLink said:

this is not first try. in my old comp thats problems is too.

I changed the hardware, but everything remained as it is.

But when I run the old version 40.43 everything is fine.

if needed, can write a video about this trouble.

In the case of your old computer, it is very likely that it was a graphics card issue (build 41 has higher requirements, it has problems running on integrated cards)
In this current case you have a very good graphics card though, but the crash is similar to what other players reported after a recent Nvidia update, so I have to suggest rolling back the drivers and seeing if that helps. If it crashes again please send the logs after the rollback.

Hey Beard, 

Just to update, had two nights now with zero crashes. Not sure what I did, but may have been the following:

* I fiddled with some graphics settings, including Vsync, locking framerate, and turning off multicore

* I updated my graphics drivers (they were a few months out of date)

Been running fine now. Fingers crossed it lasts. 

Thanks again - appreciate it 

4 hours ago, RedLink said:

Debug or not debug mode - nothing changes.

Fullscreen or use Windowed with Borderless - nothing changes.

Use Apocalypse mode or hardcore - nothing changes. 

Question, is your Windows fully up to date? Recently there can be some driver issues if the Windows is several updates old, I would recommend just updating everything through the Windows update and checking if that does anything.

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Question, is your Windows fully up to date? Recently there can be some driver issues if the Windows is several updates old, I would recommend just updating everything through the Windows update and checking if that does anything.

Yes, my Win10 with all new updates and latest versions.

I just remind you that I have had this problem since last 7 month on Win10 on 2 different computers and with only Beta version IWBUMS 41.

in old version PZ no problem.

Do you have anything common between the two PCs? This bug seems extremely rare (you and another person are the only people I have seen this happen to)
So I wonder if there is anything common between the PCs, either hardware or any software that you installed on it or anything similar.

7 hours ago, Beard said:

Do you have anything common between the two PCs? This bug seems extremely rare (you and another person are the only people I have seen this happen to)
So I wonder if there is anything common between the PCs, either hardware or any software that you installed on it or anything similar.

Videocard NVidia 1060 6gb. but i tested her in many test program and games

In the video I noticed a few things, I dont know whether they cause the crash but it would be a good try to change them.
First, it seems like you have the game Debug mode on, can you turn it off and see if the problems still happen?
Another thing I noticed is that you have Borderless mode on, it should work fine on most computer setups but it may cause problems on rare instances, can you either try playing in Fullscreen or Windowed mode? Make sure to turn Borderless off when switching it.

Lastly, you used your own preset with low population, can you try just using a standard apocalypse preset to see if that changes anything?

8 hours ago, RedLink said:

Videocard NVidia 1060 6gb. but i tested her in many test program and games

So both computers have the same video card correct? And nothing else? Is the Operating system otherwise just freshly installed?

On 5/1/2021 at 12:05 PM, Beard said:

I have the same problem, but nothing from what you advised helped (

Just wondering, are you using hdd? If its damaged or old, it could have some damaged sectors and game might have trouble reading files over those sectors and freeze. Had similar issue long time ago with different game.

11 minutes ago, Toshis said:

Just wondering, are you using hdd? If its damaged or old, it could have some damaged sectors and game might have trouble reading files over those sectors and freeze. Had similar issue long time ago with different game.

I have both ssd and hdd and I tried to put pz both there and there

17 hours ago, Beard said:

So both computers have the same video card correct? And nothing else? Is the Operating system otherwise just freshly installed?

Yes. all right. everything is installed clean. 

I think it has to do with the drivers then most likely since its seems specific to this GPU, do you have a processor with integrated graphics on either PC? Have you tried running the game through the integrated graphics instead? Just as a test to see whether it crashes there as well.

Weird, for some reason the console log shows only 4GB of ram on the PC and not 10GB. Though other than that I dont see anything weird in the console. Could you try to share the console after a crash happens again? And it would be best to share the "logs.zip" file instead of the console file, since the logs.zip contains the console files of the last 5 games player, so it would be more useful for us if we can check all those.

Other than that I have no recommendations really, there have been some issues with Nvidia drivers though, and rolling back the drivers fixed crashing for at least two other players. So you could try that if you want meanwhile.

Archived