More DETAIL!!

Deckherdown

I think project zomboid could use some more detail in the "used/lived in" department. See picture for some reference of what i am referring to regarding areas (before overgrowth, etc). Areas where you can see something happened there, where people went, held out till the last man, etc. 

Attached picture is a "safe zone" that fell. Included are some military vehicles and remaining trash of what once was.

whatoncewas.PNG

whatoncewas2.PNG

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 5:17 AM, Pandorea said:

The world already has "random stories" - barricaded houses, campsites, armed robberies, fishing and hunting parties, etc - is this what you mean? 

I don't see many environmental stories, and an unfortunate side effect of having them currently is sometimes a nice location is burned down which is a bummer. But what do you mean about armed robberies and fishing and hunting parties? I have never seen anything like that. There aren't NPCs yet, right?

32 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

I don't see many environmental stories, and an unfortunate side effect of having them currently is sometimes a nice location is burned down which is a bummer. But what do you mean about armed robberies and fishing and hunting parties? I have never seen anything like that. There aren't NPCs yet, right?

They are there, but they're rare enough to find. There's like police cars with prisoners, and sometimes escaped prisoners with duffel bags and police cars outside houses also. Hunting parties are primarily in the woods. Sometimes they can be very close to the road though, it's a bit weird.

But for the general suggestion, I understand the point of it. I wouldn't necessarily like these stories to be more common but I'd like to see far more chaos alright like in the OP's screenshot. Cars not parked neatly for one, like in the mall, more wrecks crashed (not in working condition for balance) in the center of towns and such would be nice. Everything's a bit too pristine and empty in some areas.

Those screenshots are very cool and show an actual reaction to the zombie apocalypse of which we don't see very much in game currently. The game assumes right now that every NPC just died the moment the player is spawned, and the only hints at a resistance or survival movement are found in audio cues like screams and gunshots.

I think actual NPCs who barricade and build stuff may fill this role as well. But a more "lived-in" feel to certain parts of the map would certainly be cool.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, Zork said:

Those screenshots are very cool and show an actual reaction to the zombie apocalypse of which we don't see very much in game currently. The game assumes right now that every NPC just died the moment the player is spawned, and the only hints at a resistance or survival movement are found in audio cues like screams and gunshots.

I think actual NPCs who barricade and build stuff may fill this role as well. But a more "lived-in" feel to certain parts of the map would certainly be cool.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head.  If they're planning for NPC's to be advanced enough to do things like building/driving it doesn't make sense to sink too many resources into what essentially are placeholders (even if from a user endpoint they are nice). they are a relatively small team after all.

• 4 weeks later...

The interaction between the player and the radio would be interesting. After all, the game has radios with microphones and all sorts of crap. Even if, let's say, the NPC is not yet in the game, it would be nice to communicate with someone at least on the radio, for example, with reporters who have infiltrated the Zone

Archived