BETA BRANCH RELEASED : 07/12/13

RobertJohnson

i believe its the same error everyone else has been getting (copied below) 

the game simply wont load with mods running (black screen for a moment then back to desktop)  and i am running in compatibility mode as i get the black screen (but Game/UI Working) otherwise so i cant run the batt files as i dont know how to start them in compatability mode and for some reason it doesn't auto detect (i know that feature is fairly new)

Specs Below Aswell

java.lang.NullPointerException
at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.searchForModInfo(ZomboidFileSystem.java:103)
at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.searchForModInfo(ZomboidFileSystem.java:86)
at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.searchForModInfo(ZomboidFileSystem.java:86)
at zombie.gameStates.ChooseGameInfo.getModDetails(ChooseGameInfo.java:56)
at zombie.gameStates.ChooseGameInfo.getModDetails(ChooseGameInfo.java:42)
at zombie.ZomboidFileSystem.loadMods(ZomboidFileSystem.java:150)
at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:904)
at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:112)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Windows 7 64Bit
Pentium E5300 Dualcore @ 2.60Ghz
4GB DDR3
NVIDIA GT610 2GB DDR3 (810Mhz Clock)

Also- if others are having the same problem please say so and if it is common it maybe worth opening a new thread in the bug section as there isnt one at the moment?

Wow, it's starting to get crazy here... Why the hell we given an eta ? :(

So, for the mod loader, I just tested Lockpicking + RMUtility and worked fine here, you have anything in the error.log ?

Dont give any ETA's, just look at the DayZ Standalone mess.

Wow, it's starting to get crazy here... Why the hell we given an eta ? :(

So, for the mod loader, I just tested Lockpicking + RMUtility and worked fine here, you have anything in the error.log ?

People just Chill the more you bug the devs the more time they have to spend on the forums calming eveyone down the longer updates take. ETA sands for Estimated time of arrival not set in stone time of arrival(or deadline). With such a small team everyone is on triple duty RJ is working on split screen, pushing out updates, and moding the forums. So take a deep breath step back and just take some time to think how hard The Indie Stone is working to bring you a great game.

"Fixing up for the next Steam beta build is still progressing, and we’re hoping for a public beta to go out today. It’s possible it already has by the time you read this. We’ll see where we are before this Mondoid is posted and if it’s already been released then we’ll say ‘Yes! Released!” here and link to its thread on Steam: [sorry, not released yet]."

This is what was said. Point where it says It WILL be out today. Point where they said its most likely coming out today?

All i see here is a hope and a possibility.

The issue i am having with the mod loader RJ is the Distribution files/Recipes not working i can add items and spawn them np but i am unable to make them or have items in the loot table. when you loaded Lockpicking did you spawn a bobby pin to test it or find it?

Hey RJ, what about instead of ETAs, you borrow (and slightly adapt) a concept from agile programming methods and do this:

Look at the stack of bugs/featuers/stuff to be done

Decide on a short list of things you are going to work on for the next mini-release (and don't add anything to them once decided.)

Post those things you plan on working on.

Mark them off as you do them (or cancel them if they can't be done in this iteration)

Release the mini-version when done.

Start over at step one.

This is just a thought. At least there would be no ETAs. There would be just a list of things to do before release, and people could see progress towards the next release without any ETAs. If features are being kept secret you don't have to share them publicly, just write 'part of a cool new surprise' or omit them from the public list.

It would help with communications with us fans. If your list looked like:

Things for the next release:

1. Fix a problem with the wall in building X.

2. Fix a problem with Ham not rotting like it should.

3. Add in a new kind of item.

4. Fix problem with some new moodle.

And someone asked "when will the new version be released?" You can just say "I'm having problems figuring out why the wall in this building lets you see through it. When that is done, I will release. Maybe you could help me by doing X, Y, and Z to test out the problem? Then I could release faster."

You'd be both giving a helpful answer to everyone who reads your post and either getting someone to help you do useful testing or shutting them up if all they're doing is whining and not helping.

I wish I could write French better, because I know English is your second language and I wrote a long and technical post, but the limited French I can speak isn't enough to have a meaningful technical conversation. :(

As a separate light and funny thought, since English isn't your first language:

We are referred to as 'fans.' That term is a shortened form of the original term 'fanatic' which is defined as: 'someone filled with extreme, obsessive, or single-minded zeal' Some other words with similar meaning are 'radical,' 'extremist,' and 'maniac.'

Fondamentalement, nous sommes folles.

Hey RJ, what about instead of ETAs, you borrow (and slightly adapt) a concept from agile programming methods and do this:

Decide on a short list of things you are going to work on for the next mini-release (and don't add anything to them once decided.)

Mark them off as you do them (or cancel them if they can't be done in this iteration)

Start over at step one.

This is just a thought. At least there would be no ETAs. There would be just a list of things to do before release, and people could see progress towards the next release without any ETAs. If features are being kept secret you don't have to share them publicly, just write 'part of a cool new surprise' or omit them from the public list.

And someone asked "when will the new version be released?" You can just say "I'm having problems figuring out why the wall in this building lets you see through it. When that is done, I will release. Maybe you could help me by doing X, Y, and Z to test out the problem? Then I could release faster."

You'd be both giving a helpful answer to everyone who reads your post and either getting someone to help you do useful testing or shutting them up if all they're doing is whining and not helping.

I wish I could write French better, because I know English is your second language and I wrote a long and technical post, but the limited French I can speak isn't enough to have a meaningful technical conversation. :(

We are referred to as 'fans.' That term is a shortened form of the original term 'fanatic' which is defined as: 'someone filled with extreme, obsessive, or single-minded zeal' Some other words with similar meaning are 'radical,' 'extremist,' and 'maniac.'

That is how i would like to see it done.  I will end with a thanks to All the people working on the game even the closed testers.

Thank you for all your hard Work!(now get back to it :) )

Start over at step one.

Nice idea but the more organised the project the less room to maneuver for bugs, snags, random error, things that broke while fixing something else, random stuff to keep the forumers happy, pizza,beer and the occasional flight of madness to add something crazy........ like dragons for instance.

the only change i think would be good to add is a separate news feed in steam for the beta so we know when new updates, patches and hot fixes go-up

just to pipe in real fast about the modloader and the fix. made sure its all in lowercase.  ID=Modname   wont work but  id=modname will work.

oh bloody hell now you mention it im sure most a labeled like RMutitlity etc, im gonna go try that now but i get the feeling thats whats been missing.

if it does solve my problem i will be sure to repost that info on the other threads on this one.

cheers o mod loader guru

okay just tested and this has got all the mods working again i changed all the ids to lower case and they are working fine.

just a side note if you do this be careful with mods that require others to work as you will need to change the require field to the new name aswell (IE RMutility & lockpicking mod)

right then time to make another burglar and find a crowbar :)

okay just tested and this has got all the mods working again i changed all the ids to lower case and they are working fine.

just a side note if you do this be careful with mods that require others to work as you will need to change the require field to the new name aswell (IE RMutility & lockpicking mod)

right then time to make another burglar and find a crowbar :)

changing letters in "id" to lower case still doesn't seem to load the mod up for me.

EDIT : NEVERMIND!

I just went through all the "idle" mods that I had hanging around in my mod folder (I didn't use them) and added "id=modname" to every of them. Now it seems to start the game properly now.

I say let them release it when it's ready and play something else rather than nagging for the release, it's only going to frustrate yourself and the devs.

Amen to that.

People aren't able to wait anymore. It's all "Everything and now". Jeez

@Simon816  Ya, i found alot of tricks to the modloader this last patch on how to get things to work. And im sure next patch ill have to learn again, lol.  Glad ya got it working. Next time ill make a official post instead of posting in a bunch of mid topics.

Unless i turn pirate and sail the seas for plunder and oil tankers. Then ill only be posting in ports of call ;)

cmmaannn weres da update :P

It's not funny anymore.

We understand you want it now but please...

The release is in internal testing, please, just forget about this ETA for now, we said "soon" in Mondoid, but we have some problems, so please, just wait a bit more, thanks ;)

It's not funny anymore.

The release is in internal testing, please, just forget about this ETA for now, we said "soon" in Mondoid, but we have some problems, so please, just wait a bit more, thanks ;)

ok its just that no matter what i do i cant fix the modloader problem  =/ and i really really want to play with my mods

It's not funny anymore.

ok its just that no matter what i do i cant fix the modloader problem  =/ and i really really want to play with my mods

this may seem obvious but have you tried reading the above posts? i was having the same problem, now solved. if that doesnt help have you tried posting the details of your error as it maybe something with your computer, installation or configuration of the mods rather than something that will be fixed with the update.

helpful link: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3860-steam-build-on-beta-no-mods/

and all jokes aside no-one is really surprised this update has been delayed i mean look at the damn changelog its a hell of alot of bug fixes, optimizations and a whole new repair feature that effects every other item in the game that's alot of snagging to do before its ready for release.

we do love busting the devs chops though :) i think we are getting our revenge in early for the mass hordes that are now going to kill us all with the new update lol

Nice idea but the more organised the project the less room to maneuver for bugs, snags, random error, things that broke while fixing something else, random stuff to keep the forumers happy, pizza,beer and the occasional flight of madness to add something crazy........ like dragons for instance.

the only change i think would be good to add is a separate news feed in steam for the beta so we know when new updates, patches and hot fixes go-up

In the end RJ and TIS can do what they want with my suggestion, it was unasked for advice and I won't be hurt if it's treated as such.

Your post however labels it as a 'bad idea' but for reasons that entirely confuse me. It's so baffling that I'm not sure you read my post carefully. Or perhaps you aren't that familiar with the concepts of the programming philosophy referred to as 'agile' programming? Increasing rigidity is the exactly what it's designed to STOP. Your post seems like it you think that it would increase rigidity and thus stifle flexibility and creativity. That's why I'm baffled.

Pretend that you took the time to make a long post about an idea to improve how people drive that included suggestions how to increase the fuel-efficiency of your car. Then someone came along and made a short post saying "Nice idea, but cars need to be more fuel-efficient, not use more gas." I would think you'd be a bit baffled, and maybe a bit upset that someone essentially said your idea was a bad one for a reason that didn't even make sense to you.

Edit: Kirrus called me on the tone of the original version of this post, and while I feel that the core content was valid, it was packaged in a harsh way that failed TIS forum rule number one: 'Be lovely.' My apologies to Simon816.

Edited by ZombieLawnGnome