Game Stuttering

keithkay

Hello, I have 530 hours in to this game and i obviously love it but lately the game has been stuttering for me. and its like full on 1 to 2 second stutter. I have i7 6700k 4.0 ghz 16 gb  ddr4 3000mhz ram gtx 1070 1tb ssd. playing the 41.50 iwbums. This never happened before but started lately. I am so frustrated. any advice?

This tends to happen on games where you live longer and you've visited a lot of cells around the map. This is what I do and it seems to work; you can increase the amount of RAM allocated to the game.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid
Look for the file "ProjectZomboid64.json" or "ProjectZomboid32.json" if you're playing the 32-bit version. Open it with notepad or notepad++

You're going to be looking for the lines that start with "-Xms" and "-Xmx" under vmArgs
I set mine to these values:
        "-Xms6144m",
        "-Xmx8192m",
Which corresponds to 6GB minimum(startup?) memory and 8GB maximum memory as opposed to the default of 1GB I think? Your system should be able to handle that just fine to be honest.

I find that I have to reset these values every single update so keep that in mind.

The Zomboid Devs might have better ideas of course :)

11 hours ago, orikamii said:

This tends to happen on games where you live longer and you've visited a lot of cells around the map. This is what I do and it seems to work; you can increase the amount of RAM allocated to the game.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid
Look for the file "ProjectZomboid64.json" or "ProjectZomboid32.json" if you're playing the 32-bit version. Open it with notepad or notepad++

You're going to be looking for the lines that start with "-Xms" and "-Xmx" under vmArgs
I set mine to these values:
        "-Xms6144m",
        "-Xmx8192m",
Which corresponds to 6GB minimum(startup?) memory and 8GB maximum memory as opposed to the default of 1GB I think? Your system should be able to handle that just fine to be honest.

I find that I have to reset these values every single update so keep that in mind.

The Zomboid Devs might have better ideas of course :)

Thank you for your advice but this happens from the very beginning of the game. Also i did change the ram allocation long time ago.

4 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Could be the antivirus on your PC. Can you add an exception to it for the "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" folder? The game saves files in that folder and some antiviruses  keep checking those files nonstop, creating stutters.

Thank you for your response but I am not running any antivirus. 

16 minutes ago, keithkay said:

Thank you for your advice but this happens from the very beginning of the game. Also i did change the ram allocation long time ago.

I would double check, like I said, the RAM allocation you set in that file resets after every update so you have to re-apply it every time. Also this stutter can happen early game as well depending on how much ground you cover in-game.

Apart from that, maybe try doing a fresh install, or if you're using mods, eliminate the mods one by or - or start in vanilla and gradually add mods until you find a possible culprit.

Archived