Not about mods.. but about mods (PZ's handling thereof!)

Kauffy

Question

So, my issue is NOT about mods themselves (I do believe), but the handling of mods in this case...

I've had a good number of mods installed with 41 and things have been fine. Among the mods, I have several maps that I've been using for many weeks without issue (another plug for how great Raven Creek is!).

However, something happened-- I'm not sure what (blue screen crash?) and since then, if I attempt to start a new world (SOLO), the spawn points are now limited only to the four "canon" areas.

The enabled/disabled mods have not changed, and my saves that have the same mods still do have those locales-- it's just the spawnpoints that are missing upon a new game.

I looked in the logs, and I noticed that the engine is looking for, and not finding, the spawnpoints.lua in the Program Files/etc/etc directory where the base game spawnpoints.lua are, but I also looked at my own backups and saw that they were never in there, anyway. The spawnpoints.lua do exist where (presumably) they always were, in the mod directory for each map.

So... what's broken here? (I've already done a Verify... in Steam, and done enable/disable of maps, as well as remove/reinstall of maps via the Workshop interface).

Though it hasn't been an issue so far, I thought I'd mention it because it seems to create issues often enough with games: my OS drive is C:, but my Steam Library is on D: . That's not new (i.e., y'know, it was working before!), but I thought I'd mention it.

LOG  : General     , 1613267827914> ERROR: "media/maps/Hilltop Survivor Camp/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827914> ERROR: "media/maps/Military Blockade/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827915> ERROR: "media/maps/Prison Escape/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827915> ERROR: "media/maps/Woobury/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827916> ERROR: "media/maps/RavenCreek/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827916> ERROR: "media/maps/west_point_expansion/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827916> ERROR: "media/maps/NewDenver/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827917> ERROR: "media/maps/Rosebery/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827917> ERROR: "media/maps/Silverton/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827918> ERROR: "media/maps/li_township/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827918> ERROR: "media/maps/Phoenix/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827919> ERROR: "media/maps/BedfordFalls/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : General     , 1613267827919> ERROR: "media/maps/Many Spawns root/spawnpoints.lua" doesn't exist, spawn points may be broken
LOG  : Lua         , 1613267827920> Loading: media/maps/Riverside, KY/spawnpoints.lua
LOG  : Lua         , 1613267827923> Loading: media/maps/Rosewood, KY/spawnpoints.lua
LOG  : Lua         , 1613267827924> Loading: media/maps/Muldraugh, KY/spawnpoints.lua
LOG  : Lua         , 1613267827925> Loading: media/maps/West Point, KY/spawnpoints.lua

4 answers to this question

On 2/22/2021 at 12:55 AM, Beard said:

Hmm, I am not sure why the mods would suddenly use the wrong path to the spawnpoint folder honestly, it will need to be looked into for sure. Though at the same time I am not sure how to fix it. Perhaps unsubscribing from the mods and then restarting steam + subscribing to them again could fix it? Or maybe disabling / enabling them again would reload the lua?
Lastly, the fix that would work is just copying the files from the mod folder to the Project Zomboid/media/maps folders, and create the correct path for each of the spawnpoints... but as mentioned it seems like a bug that the path is broken like that, in my testing the path leads correctly to the workshop folder.

Yeah, it's weird, for sure-- especially since all the other mods appear to work! It's just the spawnpoints that aren't being picked up.

Is there a config file or some other specific log that might give us a better idea?

I did try unsubscribing/resubscribing (though I didn't bounce Steam in-between). I will try that. I have also tried disabling/re-enabling, with a lua-reload in-between. No joy.

I "fixed it" in just the way you recommend-- copying the files (in actuality, creating symlinks) to each and every one of the mod-named containing folders of the spawnpoints.lua (theoretically, it would keep working, even if the mod were updated). It worked like a charm.

Until today. The problem returned and, incredibly, all the symlinks are gone. This time, though, I don't think I can really point to a reason they'd be gone.. ahh, unless chkdsk wiped them out for some reason.

I did one extra step tonight, just on a long shot, which is (since my Steam library is on the D drive), I created a symlink on the C: drive at the appropriate location to where the ProjectZomboid folder would be on D:. This is the same method I've used to move all of my other games off of C: without them complaining. In this case, though, PZ didn't care-- still no mods.

I do not want to have to recreate all those symlinks again. It's 31 files, and I have to symlink to the mod-named folder 4 levels above spawnpoints.lua, which is kinda resistant to doing it simply.

I'll try doing the unsub/bounce steam/resub thing...

On 2/22/2021 at 12:55 AM, Beard said:

Perhaps unsubscribing from the mods and then restarting steam + subscribing to them again could fix it? Or maybe disabling / enabling them again would reload the lua?

Yeah, I just tried several variations of this. The most-stringent: boot PZ, disable specific mod, close PZ, go into workshop, unsubscribe from item, close Steam (completely), re-launch Steam, go to workshop and resubscribe, launch PZ, activate mod in Mods, (lua reloads itself), SOLO->Sandbox--- GHAGHGHAGHGAHGS... nope. Same four spawnpoints as vanilla.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the game, also. Though, I didn't delete any of the other stuff (mods, config, Zomboid folder, etc.). I have a gajillion mods installed, and with no way to easily generate a list of them, reinstalling them all... woof!

Could it be something in the registry? It seems like I have been losing preferences and things in several programs lately. Even just this evening, when I opened PZ, it acted as though I was brand new-- it offered me the tutorial and gave me Spiffo's guide.

Even just this evening, when I opened PZ, it acted as though I was brand new-- it offered me the tutorial and gave me Spiffo's guide.

This happens when you clean the Zomboid folder since that info is saved there. As for the registry I am not really sure. It would need to be looked into for sure since some people have had the same problem as you. Though even in our testing we couldnt reproduce how it happens, the mod maps just load fine each time no matter what mods we enable or disable or what settings we change. So right now we are trying to find what can even cause that to happen.

Hmm, I am not sure why the mods would suddenly use the wrong path to the spawnpoint folder honestly, it will need to be looked into for sure. Though at the same time I am not sure how to fix it. Perhaps unsubscribing from the mods and then restarting steam + subscribing to them again could fix it? Or maybe disabling / enabling them again would reload the lua?
Lastly, the fix that would work is just copying the files from the mod folder to the Project Zomboid/media/maps folders, and create the correct path for each of the spawnpoints... but as mentioned it seems like a bug that the path is broken like that, in my testing the path leads correctly to the workshop folder.

Archived