Game frequently freezes and has to be killed from Task Manager.

SkeletalGemini

I've been having a pretty regular issue while playing the game as of late. During sorting from my inventory to a container, or vica versa, the game will freeze and the screen will go black. The program becomes unresponsive, and I'm forced to open the task manager to regain control of my system. The status in task manager is still "Running", however if I try to go back into the game, it strobes between an image of my desktop and a black screen. I've left the program both before and after opening task manager to see if the game would work itself out, but it either stays on the blacks screen or the strobing screen. The only way to close the program is to kill it with the task manager. Upon reopening the game, It will have saved at the point of freezing, or within the previous five real time minutes before.

Computer Specs in photo included.

specs.png

I cannot see anything specific that seems to crash the game like that in the logs (other than the massive amount of mods).
If you could manage to reproduce the problem  without any mods, could you then share the logs again?
The logs show the last 5 games, and in all of them you had mods enabled. We cannot rule out the mods causing the issues so I would like to ask if its possible to reproduce that without any mods enabled.

I think it’d be worth throwing SpeedFan on that thing and checking the temps while playing.

1.0 ghz base means it’s pretty much guaranteed to be thermal throttling playing the game unless the designers of the laptop made it to handle its max wattage. Most tend to drop the ball in this. The base clock is well below what we consider min, but I’m not sure that matters too much, depending on how it operates.

This chip is particularly interesting in that it throttles the integrated graphics, as well.

I mean it's a laptop, and I can feel that isn't overheating. Here's an additional log file from about two minutes ago when the same problem occurred, and a picture of the speedfan reading. Also, I feel as though it is pertinent to mention that this only started happening about a week or so ago. Before that I could play the game for hours without having an issue.

Untitled.png

logs.zip

Edited by SkeletalGemini

I notice you probably used mods in the past and that there’s some issues with loading items.  It’d be worth manually deleting the game’s install dir and reinstalling the game through Steam (you have to do this by deleting the pz directory yourself, or Steam can leave files behind).

Try renaming the user directory (%userprofile%\zomboid) to zomboid_old so that you get a clean start.

It’s a 15 watt cpu. Short of disassembling the thing and pressing your hand against the cpu, it’s probably not going to be very hot on the outside. A screenshot of it on the desktop without the game open doesn’t tell me anything, unfortunately. Is this right after it crashed?

If it is, and you were only able to play it for a few minutes, then it provably doesn’t give either of us a good idea of what’s going on. It’s quite possible it overheated during one play session, damaged itself and now is unstable, for example. No real way to know short of benchmarking it and seeing if it crashes.

We’ve not released any IWBUMS builds since early Jan, so it seems likely that it’s something on your end that changed, unfortunately. This could be anything from new programs or drivers or updates if the fresh start fails.