Visibly broken doors

Athens222

It would be cool if you could visually tell when a door is being broken, it's health and etc. Say you're looting a house and you hear a zombie breaking a door down. Seeing how much a door is damaged would tell you how much time you got before it's broken. It would be extremely helpful for the player as he wouldn't be surprised. The door would start showing cracks and splinters the more it's damaged until it bursts open. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, Athens222 said:

It would be cool if you could visually tell when a door is being broken,

I think I get what you're saying beyond this, but they did add the doors noticeably shaking when someone's banging on it.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:58 AM, Masmassu said:

Then we shud be able to repare is to. 

You can re-make a door, but yeah, you can't do anything about a door that's been damaged except destroy and replace.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:48 AM, Kauffy said:

I think I get what you're saying beyond this, but they did add the doors noticeably shaking when someone's banging on it.

I meant that it would show how much close it is to being broken down. This would be specially helpful when zombies are just outside. Think of it like this, it acts as a timer. You're stuck in a room and you don't know how long it'll be before they break down the door. Visibly broken doors would allow you to tell how much longer you have. It could be cracks on the door, wood splinters, the wood inside showing, etc.

I think this could be an easy enough thing to implement, though as far as I'm aware, the engine doesn't have anything in place to detect what health an environment object is at. As is, it's pretty binary with the object either being there or broken down.

I'd actually love to see some levels of degradation, like a door becoming scuffed or warped as it hits a health threshold or something similar.